All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I'd have the match ups as follows (assuming Dublin start Connolly & drop Scully):

Barrett on Rock
Harrison on Andrews (ideally Harrison @ FB)
Higgins on O'Callaghan
Keegan on Connolly
Boyle on Kilkenny
Durcan on Mannion

AOS drifting back into the HB line to help.
I'd target Mannion, O'Callaghan and Connolly with Mayo's best 'running' defenders in Durcan, Higgins & Keegan.
a) to keep up with them
and
b) to get them chasing back into their own half.

Keep Vaughan in reserve and see where he's needed.
Ideally he would come on for SOS in the 2nd half to partner Parsons.
Start AOS at 11 or 15 and bring him back out the field.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

AOS isn't the midfielder to be dropping back. In fact he's the worst of the starting three for that role.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

straightred

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2017, 11:40:10 PM
I'd have the match ups as follows (assuming Dublin start Connolly & drop Scully):

Barrett on Rock
Higgins on O'Callaghan
Keegan on Connolly
Boyle on Kilkenny
Durcan on Mannion

I'd target Mannion, O'Callaghan and Connolly with Mayo's best 'running' defenders in Durcan, Higgins & Keegan.
a) to keep up with them
and

Scully did really well today and i wouldn't be surprised if connolly doesnt start the final. Dublin can do a few matchups of their own as well - kerry kept keegan quiet so dublin might do the same job on him

Captain Scarlet

Who will the Dubs gave on Moran? He is having a great year.
Mayo need to make sure he isnt tracking a man either and that hos only running is for his own ball.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2017, 07:11:02 PM
Dublin are a great team but Tyrone made it easy for them. Con O'Callaghan is obviously a great player in the making but he, and the other Dublin forwards, will be marked by good defenders in the final. On the other side of the field the Dublin defenders will actually have forwards to mark. Mayo's only problem is the scoring power of their forwards, give them Paul Geaney and I'd have them favourites for the final.

Zulu if Kerry can score 2-14 and 0-17 against Mayo why will Dublin not score as much?
Do you honestly think the Kerry defence is as good as Dublin's ie If Shane Enright was from Dub would he have played 2 games on Andy Moran whilst getting taken apart??

Ballaghman

Quote from: straightred on August 27, 2017, 11:52:37 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2017, 11:40:10 PM

Barrett on Rock
Higgins on O'Callaghan
Keegan on Connolly
Boyle on Kilkenny
Durcan on Mannion

a) to keep up with them
and

Scully did really well today and i wouldn't be surprised if connolly doesnt start the final. Dublin can do a few matchups of their own as well - kerry kept keegan quiet so dublin might do the same job on him
Keegan wasn't kept quiet the second day. His own shot selection is what let him down. 4 shots at goal, 3 of which he normally scores with ease. I except to see him back to full fitness and form for the final

Ballaghman

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 28, 2017, 09:41:07 AM
Dublin are a great team but Tyrone made it easy for them. Con O'Callaghan is obviously a great player in the making but he, and the other Dublin forwards, will be marked by good defenders in the final. On the other side of the field the Dublin defenders will actually have forwards to mark. Mayo's only problem is the scoring power of their forwards, give them Paul Geaney and I'd have them favourites for the final.

Zulu if Kerry can score 2-14 and 0-17 against Mayo why will Dublin not score as much?
Do you honestly think the Kerry defence is as good as Dublin's ie If Shane Enright was from Dub would he have played 2 games on Andy Moran whilst getting taken apart??
The dubs are better all over the field than Kerry. Mayo will have to play to an even higher level to win. The thing is they will, they have the players that stifle an awful lot of what's good about Dublin. Stopping everything though and doing enough damage ourselves has been the problem, marginally. The dubs are rightful favourites and we'll just have to see if we have enough to beat you this time.

DUBSFORSAM1

I can see Dublin starting as follows:

Kilkenny, O'Callaghan, Scully
Rock, Connolly, Mannion

Fitzsimmons to mark COC, Cooper on Moran with McMahon picking up a half forward and COS covering the fullbacks.

Mac2

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 28, 2017, 10:14:18 AM
I can see Dublin starting as follows:

Kilkenny, O'Callaghan, Scully
Rock, Connolly, Mannion

Fitzsimmons to mark COC, Cooper on Moran with McMahon picking up a half forward and COS covering the fullbacks.
No backs or midfield, we might have a chance so.

Main Street

Last year's AI final encounters were epic and it looks as if Mayo have finally found their mojo this year, whether that's enough remains to be seen. Dublin are currently playing GAA style total football at its best. There are so many compelling attributes to their style of play, defend in numbers, easily hold onto possession, patience, player movement in the opposition half, ability to move the ball out wide, individual skills in closed space, point taking ability from almost any position in the opposition half, fitness etc.

In contrast in the 2nd half yesterday it was disturbing to witness 2 and 3 of the Tyrone players who had tried to press on Cluxton's kick out, just strolling around in space once the ball was being moved around the half way line. Whether that was mental or physical or both, I don't know.

Zulu

But it's not that simple DUBSFORSAM1, as you know. I think the final will be like last years finals, physical and tight. Dublin are the better team IMO but not by enough to make it a straightforward win for them. If any team does win it comfortably it will be Dublin but Mayo have more seasoned, proven IC players than any county in Ireland outside of Dublin. I fully expect them to perform and push Dublin to the limits. With a bit of luck or players like COC or AOS delivering MOM performances they can certainly win.

TheOptimist

In the first final last year after 33 minutes the score was Dublin 2-1, Mayo 0-4. The Dublin goals were the 2 OG's. I said it before the semi's and I will say it again, people have short memories, Mayo are the only team who can trouble the Dubs, they have proven it two years in succession. They have every chance of winning this one.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Zulu on August 28, 2017, 11:06:34 AM

But it's not that simple DUBSFORSAM1, as you know. I think the final will be like last years finals, physical and tight. Dublin are the better team IMO but not by enough to make it a straightforward win for them. If any team does win it comfortably it will be Dublin but Mayo have more seasoned, proven IC players than any county in Ireland outside of Dublin. I fully expect them to perform and push Dublin to the limits. With a bit of luck or players like COC or AOS delivering MOM performances they can certainly win.

Zulu but they are a team who've never won a national title, have lost to Galway, struggled with Derry, Cork, drew with Roscommon and Kerry (who everyone said were brutal in both games). It's like saying that Tyrone were going to trouble Dublin due to their performances this season. Have Mayo actually played a good game against a good team this season??

Dublin have Fitzsimmons in ahead of D Byrne, McCaffrey effectively replacing MDMA, Scully for Flynn, Mannion for Brogan and O'Callaghan for McMenamon so it's a stronger, faster and more mobile team this year. Mayo have effectively replaced Duran with Barret as their only change.

omagh_gael

As much as I would love to see it I can't see Mayo getting over the line in the final. They'll make a much better fist of it compared to Tyrone but Dublin look better than last year, they have the motivation for the three in a row and they'll want to avenge their below average performances last year.