Could it happen in Hurling?

Started by 30mog, November 27, 2014, 10:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2014, 07:18:13 AM
The referee in hurling is the one at most risk to be fair nowadays. I've been close to getting hit, ball just whizzing past your ear!!

If the referee got hurt, it would be his own fault .......following on from the recent debate on the Antrim thread  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

30mog

Never thought about the Hurling referee!!!

My own thoughts on cricket balls thought more about spectator safety than player safety.  Thing is, when the ball is hit to the boundary rope.  When it gets there the energy has been discharged or it would hurt the spectator who sometimes even catches it.  Though I wouldn't risk letting it hit me intentionally.

Anyway, I am not a doctor but.  I have read a book by a Neurosurgeon.  Who makes it clear the front of the head is more forgiving than the back.  And another on Sky Sports News the other day exhibited how, from what he could see, the ball hit Hughes in such a place that there wasn't even any skull bone to give some protection.  Thus, the force with which he was hit went to straight to the brain stem.  The brain stem is to a human what a CPU is to a computer system.

R.I.P.  Phil Hughes

seafoid

Fairly low risk in hurling I would have thought with helmets compulsory. Hurls are probably more dangerous especially in mountainous parts of Tipp and the Galway championship.
Rugby concussion is going to be a far bigger issue IMO.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2014, 05:42:46 PM
Rugby concussion is going to be a far bigger issue IMO.

Not just concussion in rugby - was talking to one of the medical staff for one of the Irish provinces and he was saying that the first generation of professional rugby players are going to have an absolute raft of medical issues as they age, given the increased size and strength.  He was saying that the difference in terms of strength and the punishment the professional players take compared to the amateur rugby era is years apart and that it's likely to end up being responsible for a litany of medical problems down the line.

He was saying that if they follow the path of NFL players you are looking at seriously shortened lifespans - he had a stat that the current life expectancy for NFL players is almost 20 years less than for the average American male, which when you think about it is just mental.

pullhard

My Two Pence worth. As a pat in exile from hurling background, I've played but field hockey and cricket competitively.

It Could happened, but so could most things.

Both games are played in very different planes lines. Cricketers face the ball side on, hurler tend to more square with the play. Hurlers tend to be hit the same place because they can control the ball release. Cricketers in this respect have to think a bit quicker.

Cricket ball is heavier and harder. When being bowled at pace (80-95 mph) will do more damage with a hurling ball.

Cricket helmets are more robust (much thicker foam and plastic), however don't provide the same amount of coverage as hurling helmet, generally don't need too.

Hurling helmets have improve lots is since the old coopers and old myrcos. They are very comfortable and light, perfect for running about.  However I would question what protection they really provide if directly struck with a stick or ball. The plastic and high density foam (both very thin) don't look like could spread the impact enough, for comparison in a cricket helmet the padding is much thicker.

Hurlers are at greater risk of damage to the head being done by a stick rather than the ball, Player A missing a mid air block and the player B carrying on the swing and the stick making contact with the head, generally front or side.

orangeman