Kevin Dyas returning home

Started by topgun, September 29, 2009, 03:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Tight Lips

mckeever may have trouble making a first team debut any time soon when he hasnt actually left for australia yet....

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2009, 07:09:26 PM
You're confusing "making it" with being a star player.
All you can ask is were they worth a place on an AFL first team?
Kennelly obviously was, Clarke was, O'hAilpin is, Quinn is and Murphy definitely would have been.
I followed Murphys progress with the reserve side and the fans were very excited by him.
He would have got a first-team game last year only he had groin trouble.
There aren't many lads his height in the AFL that can run like he can.
The swans fans in the know were very disappointed he was leaving.
Shields maybe wouldn't have made it but the fact is the only person to come home recently after being delisted is Aisake O'hAilpin.
The rest have made their own minds up to jack it in.
The Brisbane fans have plenty of time for Hanley too.
Ability to play the game does not seem to be the problem with him either, again he has missed a lot of time through injury.

In fairness Jinxy does barely one season in AFL constitute making it?
I think Clarke would have had he stuck at it at another club but he prefers Gaelic Football. But in my view he did make it because Collingwood are a top club.
Begley probably has played 20 games max- again he's be better off coming home. For me 3 years as a first team player = making it for me. O Hailpin is on the verge of making it as well.
You might have a point on Murphy- I heard about his physiological scores in the DCU testing and they were off the map for even AFL players.
Remains to be seen on Quinn but he looks likely to make it to me. I don't think the rest of hanley, Meredith etc will to be honest.

The reality is the Aussie kids are better conditioned at a younger age to take the massive physical impact the game involves. A lot of our lads just aren't conditioned for the full time training at that age.

tyrone86

I heard a month ago he was joining Clarke at the Ranch - any confirmation yet?

HeaveHo

Quote from: INDIANA on September 29, 2009, 10:26:21 PM

I think Clarke would have had he stuck at it at another club but he prefers Gaelic Football. But in my view he did make it because Collingwood are a top club.
Begley probably has played 20 games max- again he's be better off coming home. For me 3 years as a first team player = making it for me. O Hailpin is on the verge of making it as well.
You might have a point on Murphy- I heard about his physiological scores in the DCU testing and they were off the map for even AFL players.
Remains to be seen on Quinn but he looks likely to make it to me. I don't think the rest of hanley, Meredith etc will to be honest.

The reality is the Aussie kids are better conditioned at a younger age to take the massive physical impact the game involves. A lot of our lads just aren't conditioned for the full time training at that age.

The average AFL career for all drafted players is around 3 years. A long career these days is around 200 games which is about ten seasons. The odd freak plays 350 plus but it is rare.

There are a number of AFL players who are cruelled by injury - it isn't exclusive to Irish recruits.The kids who are drafted to the AFL have generally come from feeder systems which have intensive training (VFL, WAFL, SANFL, TAC under 18's) so the step up to AFL level fitness, while still significant, is largely anticipated. 

Quinn needs a lot of work to be as good as Clarke - his basics are still poor.

Aerlik

Agree with Heave Ho.  Freo have been badly hit these past two years with major injuries to key players at significant times. 

I still feel the Collingwood exodus is due to a change in the management.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 29, 2009, 10:26:21 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2009, 07:09:26 PM
You're confusing "making it" with being a star player.
All you can ask is were they worth a place on an AFL first team?
Kennelly obviously was, Clarke was, O'hAilpin is, Quinn is and Murphy definitely would have been.
I followed Murphys progress with the reserve side and the fans were very excited by him.
He would have got a first-team game last year only he had groin trouble.
There aren't many lads his height in the AFL that can run like he can.
The swans fans in the know were very disappointed he was leaving.
Shields maybe wouldn't have made it but the fact is the only person to come home recently after being delisted is Aisake O'hAilpin.
The rest have made their own minds up to jack it in.
The Brisbane fans have plenty of time for Hanley too.
Ability to play the game does not seem to be the problem with him either, again he has missed a lot of time through injury.

[/b]

This does seem to be the essential and significant difference ok.

Canalman

Lads don't forget Seán Wight...... had a very good career in the AFL.

Having lived in Melbourne for a while I can vouch how hard they train even at the lower levels. Lived for a while facing on to an oval and the team there (an ex pupils team) trained for over 2 hours 2/3 times a week. Standard of games was muck though.

The best AFL players are from country Victoria/South Australia and the fall off from the feeder academies is imo 90%. Only 10% make it in the AFL with say 1% gaining superstar status such as for example Lynch, Hird, Ablett etc.

Imo the fall off of Irish lads is the norm.

Tubberman

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0930/walsh_moran.html

Kerry duo Tommy Walsh and David Moran are poised to reverse the recent trend and commit their futures to Australian Rules side St Kilda.

A report in today's Irish Daily Star suggests the Kerry stars will replenish the declining numbers of Irish in the AFL by signing for the Melbourne outfit in the coming weeks.

The Kerins O'Rahilly's pair are believed to be set to follow in the footsteps of Kingdom team-mate Tadhg Kennelly and boost Irish numbers Down Under following the recent departures of Martin Clarke, Kevin Dyas and Brendan Murphy.

Agent Ricky Nixon revealed this week that 'three or four' contracts were on the table for Irish-based footballers and he is expected in Ireland to tie up those contracts.

International rookies can expect to make in the region of €25,000 a year and most newcomers are tied to two-year contracts.

If true, it's a big setback to Kerry, and a big disappointment to GAA supporters, who obviously would like to see the best talent remain playing our games. Nixon was saying 22 year olds were much too old, so it's a bit strange that Tommy Walsh could be heading out at this stage.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Aerlik

Quote from: Canalman on September 30, 2009, 10:22:47 AM
The best AFL players are from country Victoria/South Australia and the fall off from the feeder academies is imo 90%. Only 10% make it in the AFL with say 1% gaining superstar status such as for example Lynch, Hird, Ablett etc.

Where did you get those figures from?  Going on percentage of population, Vic and NSW have the biggest catchment and Tas and the NT have the smallest.  There are a helluva lot of West Australian boys playing in the top ranks too, don't forget.   And if mini-me keeps going the way he is, there could be another one in 10 years.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

stephenite

Quote from: Aerlik on October 01, 2009, 04:50:16 AM
  And if mini-me keeps going the way he is, there could be another one in 10 years.

I'll look forward to meeting you when he debuts in the red & white ;)

HeaveHo

Quote from: stephenite on October 01, 2009, 05:41:05 AM
  And if mini-me keeps going the way he is, there could be another one in 10 years.

I'll look forward to meeting you when he debuts in the red & white ;)

No - it will be in the purple if his old man gets a say. Just as long it isn't in the Blue and Gold.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Canalman on September 30, 2009, 10:22:47 AM

Where did you get those figures from?  Going on percentage of population, Vic and NSW have the biggest catchment and Tas and the NT have the smallest.  There are a helluva lot of West Australian boys playing in the top ranks too, don't forget.   And if mini-me keeps going the way he is, there could be another one in 10 years.

Aerlik - it would be Vic, followed by SA and WA (the traditional footy states). There are some good types coming out of NSW and Queensland but as you know they refer league and union. NT produce some good indigenous lads and Tassie the odd good player.