Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 18, 2023, 08:02:25 AM
Quote from: straightred on July 17, 2023, 11:47:45 PM
Quote from: Gold on July 17, 2023, 09:21:25 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 16, 2023, 10:45:30 AM
O Hanlon definitely lifted it off the ground. Monaghan lost due to running out of steam with 10 to go while Dublin were bringing on top class players as subs. Tough to take but zero to do with the ref.

Ball was off the ground.

Absolutely changed the game in a game so tight.
It was really tight but i think he did catch it on a (small) bounce. I blame the player more for not putting his toe behind it just to remove the doubt but it was a massive call for the ref to give at that time. Dublin scored the free and pushed on.

Is there any clip of this doing the rounds at the time i though he touched it on the ground?

The ball was bouncing but it looked like he put the hands on the ball as it was on the ground, when he maybe could have put his hands under and let it bounce up. A split second decision made by a tired player, I doubt he'd have gave the ref a decision to make if it was early in the game.

Angus MacGyver

O Hanlon definitely lifted it off the ground. Monaghan lost due to running out of steam with 10 to go while Dublin were bringing on top class players as subs. Tough to take but zero to do with the ref.

Ball was off the ground.

It was really tight but i think he did catch it on a (small) bounce. I blame the player more for not putting his toe behind it just to remove the doubt but it was a massive call for the ref to give at that time. Dublin scored the free and pushed on.

As a referee doing a lot of underage games I insist 100% on striking the handpass, toe under the ball, steps rule. The basics. Managers, parents and players absolutely hate it and shout for leniency on the details all the time. The call against O'Hanlon was a good reminder why we need to keep young lads focussed on these things.
Remove any doubt. 

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 16, 2023, 08:13:56 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 16, 2023, 06:07:32 PM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on July 16, 2023, 06:03:15 PM
We need VAR in big championship games.  Refs get so many calls wrong it's beyond a joke
Derry weren't given a 45 near the end of the game. Was clear as day the Kerry lad got the boot to it

Kerry lad got a boot to it but it went off Glass's hands after - unless the Kerry player managed to defy the laws of physics with his kick.

What chance have referees got when you have us gobshites arguing on the internet, not even able to agree with the benefit of tv replays?

And post after post dissecting whether or not a ball was lifted off the ground.

tbrick18

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2023, 10:53:59 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on July 16, 2023, 08:13:56 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 16, 2023, 06:07:32 PM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on July 16, 2023, 06:03:15 PM
We need VAR in big championship games.  Refs get so many calls wrong it's beyond a joke
Derry weren't given a 45 near the end of the game. Was clear as day the Kerry lad got the boot to it

Kerry lad got a boot to it but it went off Glass's hands after - unless the Kerry player managed to defy the laws of physics with his kick.

What chance have referees got when you have us gobshites arguing on the internet, not even able to agree with the benefit of tv replays?

And post after post dissecting whether or not a ball was lifted off the ground.

That's a fair point.

Without going into specifics of isolated frees, I felt that over the 2 SF games, Hurson had a much more consistent application of the rules the Joe McQ did.
Hurson at the moment I think is the best ref in the country for consistency and application of the rules.
For some of the others, the exact same foul quite often warrants different action from the ref. Joe McQ is particular guilty of this imo.
It's a thankless job, and the nature of the rules make it really difficult to do well.
But it's incredibly frustrating as a fan/player/manager to have a ref blow a free for a specific foul against one team, then let it go for the other within the same game a short period of time later.
I'd rather he got it wrong all of the time, than right some of the time I think.

I do think all of the issues we have with referees come down to consistently applying the same rule all of the time during a game. Take steps for example, if the ref is rightly blowing players up for taking too many steps then they need to do it for all players all of the time. If he blows one player up for too many steps, then lets the next go, that's where frustration comes in and the inevitable remonstrations with/against referees.

I don't know if this happens, but I wonder does a ref have a brief chat with each team at intercounty level to say how he's going to apply rules? Tight on steps, pickups, arm drags etc? Or is that just something teams have to feel their way into during a game?

Fuzzman

That's the nature of sport and there will always be right and wrong decisions made by refs and always fans and even neutrals with different views on decisions. Some think Hurson is a great ref and some think he's brutal.

I have watched the incident with Kerry keeper Ryan hitting McGuigan with his backside several times now and I still can't make my mind up whether it's a foul or not.
With every incident I always try to look at it through the other person's eyes or how would I feel if the same thing happened to ne of our players.

I think it would do no harm for the GAA to try to educate fans in some way about how hard a job it is to referee a match, how they only get a second to make their mind up with no replays and that they try their best to not show any bias to one team over another. A lot of fans have never played the game or fully understand the rules.

On another note, is it time to follow other sports and let refs use the camera action to make a decisive call when they're not sure. Making mistakes is part of the game but would people prefer that to the ref stopping the game and looking for advice from another ref watching it on TV where he is more likely to make the right call, even if it takes a bit more time?
Obviously that can only happen in the bigger televised matches and not in club games etc.
Imagine the impact of that? Louth could have another Leinster title. Derry might be in an AI final.  ;)

Rossfan

Can Refs please clamp down on the frees from the hand being taken from the wrong place? Especially the farce of metres stealing when going for a score.
It's as big a joke as the Hurley throw passes.

If we can't copy "another code" can't the ref at least mark it with his foot and linesman police it.
Come on CCCC and Refs Committee, time to stamp it out.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2023, 11:51:52 AM
Can Refs please clamp down on the frees from the hand being taken from the wrong place? Especially the farce of metres stealing when going for a score.
It's as big a joke as the Hurley throw passes.

If we can't copy "another code" can't the ref at least mark it with his foot and linesman police it.
Come on CCCC and Refs Committee, time to stamp it out.

Cue the "referee marked the wrong spot for the free" complaints! ;)

Cavan19

Quote from: manwithnoplan on July 18, 2023, 08:39:33 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 18, 2023, 08:02:25 AM

Ball was off the ground.

Is there any clip of this doing the rounds at the time i though he touched it on the ground?

The ball was bouncing but it looked like he put the hands on the ball as it was on the ground, when he maybe could have put his hands under and let it bounce up. A split second decision made by a tired player, I doubt he'd have gave the ref a decision to make if it was early in the game.

Yeah that it what i though as well it was a correct call.

Rawhide

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2023, 11:22:47 AM
That's the nature of sport and there will always be right and wrong decisions made by refs and always fans and even neutrals with different views on decisions. Some think Hurson is a great ref and some think he's brutal.

I have watched the incident with Kerry keeper Ryan hitting McGuigan with his backside several times now and I still can't make my mind up whether it's a foul or not.
With every incident I always try to look at it through the other person's eyes or how would I feel if the same thing happened to ne of our players.

I think it would do no harm for the GAA to try to educate fans in some way about how hard a job it is to referee a match, how they only get a second to make their mind up with no replays and that they try their best to not show any bias to one team over another. A lot of fans have never played the game or fully understand the rules.

On another note, is it time to follow other sports and let refs use the camera action to make a decisive call when they're not sure. Making mistakes is part of the game but would people prefer that to the ref stopping the game and looking for advice from another ref watching it on TV where he is more likely to make the right call, even if it takes a bit more time?
Obviously that can only happen in the bigger televised matches and not in club games etc.
Imagine the impact of that? Louth could have another Leinster title. Derry might be in an AI final.  ;)

staggering, if you don't realise thats a stone wall foul.
cccc is a true supporter lol

samuel maguire

Quote from: Rawhide on July 18, 2023, 12:51:29 PM

How do you think it is a foul? No way is that a foul. What do you want the player to do in that situation? Just let the Derry player take the ball and not go for the ball himself??

Ball was there to be won, kerry keeper jumped and won the ball, it was unfortunate that mcguigan was standing in his way and got clattered.

tonto1888

Quote from: samuel maguire on July 18, 2023, 01:30:06 PM

How do you think it is a foul? No way is that a foul. What do you want the player to do in that situation? Just let the Derry player take the ball and not go for the ball himself??

Ball was there to be won, kerry keeper jumped and won the ball, it was unfortunate that mcguigan was standing in his way and got clattered.

its onoe of those where if it goes for your team youre adamant its a finel.If it goes against your team its a foul

thewobbler

As has been mentioned on here a few times, it's quite normal practice for a GAA person to simultaneously hold opposing opinions on the intent, ferocity and legality of every challenge they see, with the slant determined by what colour of jerseys are on show.

Then they're so f**king ferociously righteous about their contradictory opinions.

Fuelled by a media that behaves in the same way.

Our referees have no chance.

——

There's an absolutely wonderful sport that uses a similar ball to our own, freely available for people who don't like contact sports, and for people who want to pariah referees. Why can't you all just f**k off over there?

tbrick18

Not only was it a foul it was a dangerous tackle warranting a red.
You could see the keeper watching Mcguigan and deliberately turn his hip to him connecting with his head. If he had maintained the direction he was travelling, with the ball, he'd have brushed past mcguigan en-route with no foul and no injury - and could still have got his score.
It was as deliberate an attempt to take out a player as you'll ever see.

clonian

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 18, 2023, 01:55:09 PM

You could see the keeper watching Mcguigan and deliberately turn his hip to him connecting with his head. If he had maintained the direction he was travelling, with the ball, he'd have brushed past mcguigan en-route with no foul and no injury - and could still have got his score.

You're putting a lot of context to a slow motion replay. There's very little time in real life to jump, catch the ball and change direction in mid air as some people said he did. It came from a poor pass between him and McGuigan. It wasn't a foul in my book but in todays game it could of definitely been given the other way.

Derryman forever

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 18, 2023, 01:55:09 PM

And in many other sports this would be revisited in video analysis  and dealt with in retrospect .
It didn't cost Derry the game but this kind of deliberate aggression could have far greater consequences than a place in a final.
He did not have to turn into mc guigan he chose to.