Tír Eoghain vs Átha Cliath, An Omaigh, Sunday 4th August @ 4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 21, 2019, 09:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on July 23, 2019, 09:31:03 PM
Quote from: trileacman on July 23, 2019, 09:12:44 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 23, 2019, 04:08:33 PM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on July 23, 2019, 03:40:00 PM
God there is some tripe being spouted on here. I thought we had it bad on our local boards with the like of STG and his many aliases! Turns out we are truly blessed. Lads there will be a tea a plenty throughout the ground for all patrons. If it's  a drop of Grandpa's favourite cough medicine you're after, then fork out the price of a stand ticket.

Back to the game. Is there any manager here who has an out and out desire to win this and maybe lay down a marker? I feel Dublin may want a stern challenge as they haven't faced one all year and last year in Omagh they were forced to break a sweat. My heart wants Tyrone to line out the subs and filter everyone back. Mickey Moynagh would do a job at full back maybe?? However my head says Mickey would fight to win a kick about in his back yard, so I think Tyrone could go hell for leather to win this.
Tyrone's big problem is their defensive football works against the weaker teams and got them to the semi final but the system wont beat any of the top sides in Croke Park who will be in the semi finals.

He tried to go more attacking against Donegal and that didn't work so straight away switched back to what he knows in the qualifiers. Very difficult to suddenly go change tactics at this stage. If they are going to beat any of the top sides he has to at least play Donnelley up front with McShane. To think it took until half time for him figure this out against Cork when sitting back so deep clearly wasn't working would be worrying.

Dubs more than likely will be on the Sat night giving them only a 6 day turn around so I can't see players like Mannion, Kilkenny or McCaffrey starting. No coinidence Gavin took them off early in the 2nd half sat night when the game was won.

You've contradicted yourself about 3 times there. If it's so hard to suddenly change tactics then why was it so easy for Tyrone to do it at halftime v Cork? And how was it so easy to change from attacking to defending following the Donegal defeat? Likewise in the league how did we change from a team playing defensively and drawing with Roscommon to a team beating the Dubs in Croker?

Our defensive gameplan was a match for anyone this past 3 years bar Dublin. The old "won't trouble the top sides" analysis is very lazy. It was more than enough to make us the equal of Mayo/Kerry/Donegal/Monaghan/Galway the last 3 years and most games against them would have been a 50/50 shot with the tactics we had. Only the Dubs can overpower it with relative ease. Also the populist notion that the only way to beat the Dubs is to play offensively isn't born out of anything factual. They've played against all the styles and systems this past 5 years and conquered them all, should Tyrone open up at the back and go at Dublin they're as likely to get beaten as they are playing not to lose.

The blanket defence is done. Teams have copped on and it doesnt work anymore. Dubs humiliated Tyrone in the All Ireland semi final 2 yrs ago and bar 1st ten minutes of the final last year were in complete control and eased to their biggest All Ireland victory in the current era.

Mayo should have won a couple of All Irelands and at least put it up to dublin by going man on man. Kery have put it up to dublin going man on man as well.

If Tyrone sit back in their own half and let the dubs own the ball and dominate posession how exactly do you think Tyrone will win?

As for saying it worked in the league... BIG difference between then and now. How's things gone for league winners Mayo??. They bullied Kerry in the league final (that dublin didnt even make!!!) I think its safe to say Kerry and Dublin are different beasts now.

"Put it up"
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Never beat the deeler

Was wondering how a near-dead-rubber game had reached 6 pages so quickly so came in for a nose and you have to laugh.

dublin7, you've played a blinder. Nearly 4 pages of talk about how and where to get a cup of tea in Omagh!
Most of the wums nowadays are way too obvious so they don't go anywhere (kerryforsam etc) but while this one seemed obvious to me, there's no shortage of takers
Hasta la victoria siempre

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 24, 2019, 03:32:08 AM
Was wondering how a near-dead-rubber game had reached 6 pages so quickly so came in for a nose and you have to laugh.

dublin7, you've played a blinder. Nearly 4 pages of talk about how and where to get a cup of tea in Omagh!
Most of the wums nowadays are way too obvious so they don't go anywhere (kerryforsam etc) but while this one seemed obvious to me, there's no shortage of takers

Highly strung Tyrone posters will react to almost anything and it all makes for humorous reading alright.

trileacman

I'm in two minds about going. It's a dead rubber so what's the point really, be handier to just watch it on tv.

Harte said in his post match interview that he'll assess fitness levels and select a team as appropriate, ie select some form of weakened team. The two players he needs to leave out are Peter Harte (a black card would rule him out of the semi-pointless to pick it up in a dead rubber) and mc Shane. I wouldn't like the Dub defenders to get too accustomed to Cathal, better to spring him  on them down the line if we get that far. Also he's our single most important player, he can't risk an injury.

Hampsey, Patsy, McKernan all need to get a good run to iron out the creases in their game. Colm could likely do with a rest so you could see Richie and Kennedy at MF. Mick Cassidy likewise needs to play to experience the top level of opppositiion. I'd play

Morgan
Patsy.    .    Ronan.     Hampsey
Cassidy.    Mcgeary    McKernan
    Richie        Kennedy
Matty.      Sludden.     Burns
Melyer.    Coney/skeet.        Mc curry

In Hartes defence it'd be a kick to the confidence of Harte and especially Cathal to leave them out of such a big match and I don't think they'd take it too easily either. They're the type of players you'd have to tie down to keep off a pitch. Would kinda love to see Skeet or Coney get 70 minutes, forwards rarely get a look in in our selections and it'd be great to see what they have to offer from a starting position.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: trileacman on July 24, 2019, 10:10:58 AM
I'm in two minds about going. It's a dead rubber so what's the point really, be handier to just watch it on tv.

Harte said in his post match interview that he'll assess fitness levels and select a team as appropriate, ie select some form of weakened team. The two players he needs to leave out are Peter Harte (a black card would rule him out of the semi-pointless to pick it up in a dead rubber) and mc Shane. I wouldn't like the Dub defenders to get too accustomed to Cathal, better to spring him  on them down the line if we get that far. Also he's our single most important player, he can't risk an injury.

Hampsey, Patsy, McKernan all need to get a good run to iron out the creases in their game. Colm could likely do with a rest so you could see Richie and Kennedy at MF. Mick Cassidy likewise needs to play to experience the top level of opppositiion. I'd play

Morgan
    Richie        Kennedy

In Hartes defence it'd be a kick to the confidence of Harte and especially Cathal to leave them out of such a big match and I don't think they'd take it too easily either. They're the type of players you'd have to tie down to keep off a pitch. Would kinda love to see Skeet or Coney get 70 minutes, forwards rarely get a look in in our selections and it'd be great to see what they have to offer from a starting position.

I'd imagine Tiernan McCann will start. He ticks both boxes in that he is player in need of game time but also experienced enough that it is not a gamble to start him.

Also regardless of how reluctant Peter Harte is to sit out the game, he simply can't be allowed to play. If he played and got another black card that would be unforgivable

trueblue1234

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on July 24, 2019, 10:40:19 AM

Morgan
    Richie        Kennedy

I'd imagine Tiernan McCann will start. He ticks both boxes in that he is player in need of game time but also experienced enough that it is not a gamble to start him.

Also regardless of how reluctant Peter Harte is to sit out the game, he simply can't be allowed to play. If he played and got another black card that would be unforgivable

I'd agree with most of that. However I think He'll drop Harte but keep McShane in there. Removing McShane makes such a big impact into how we play that I think he'll start with him anyway and maybe off at half time.
WRT Colm, I think he actually needs the game time. He hasn't been at his usual level this year, apart from glimpses and I think he's taking a bit more time to get up to speed after the injury earlier in the year. So I'd expect him to play.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trileacman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 24, 2019, 11:03:48 AM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on July 24, 2019, 10:40:19 AM

Morgan
    Richie        Kennedy

I'd agree with most of that. However I think He'll drop Harte but keep McShane in there. Removing McShane makes such a big impact into how we play that I think he'll start with him anyway and maybe off at half time.
WRT Colm, I think he actually needs the game time. He hasn't been at his usual level this year, apart from glimpses and I think he's taking a bit more time to get up to speed after the injury earlier in the year. So I'd expect him to play.

Yeah Colm is an interesting one. He's not long back from injury as you said so do you play him to get him more used to match fitness/preparation or at 31 do you rest him to give him a chance to recharge himself. Hard to know but he's played a lot of football in the last 5 weeks and isn't really coming more into every game so I'd be inclined to let him sit this out for 40/50 minutes.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

In this Laochra Gael
https://youtu.be/zUhZnHnszPo

the early 80s progress of Offaly vs the then behemoth, Kerry, is charted
Offaly were a good bit off in 80 but were encouraged in 81 and beat them in 82

And Tyrone this year ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trueblue1234

Tickets back on sale today again in case anyone looking.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LeoMc

Quote from: dublin7 on July 22, 2019, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 22, 2019, 06:24:31 PM
The way some of them got on in Omagh last year was disgraceful.

Would habe been nice to have been allowed buy a cup of tea in the main stand last year, but werent allowed in by the local stewards.

Stands were a long way from the pitch, but to be fair that was Mickey Harte's decision
:)
That did not get the recognition it deserved.

Fuzzman

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2019, 01:36:49 PM
In this Laochra Gael

And Tyrone this year ?

Darragh Canavan (The Son of God) comes on in the final and scores a cracker against Cluxton in the 78th minute.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2019, 01:36:49 PM
In this Laochra Gael

And Tyrone this year ?
Hopefully same thing happens but only its any other county beating the dubs.

Fuzzman

Armagh?
Were you supporting the Dubs last year in the final?
Fair play !

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.