County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 22, 2015, 10:10:36 PM
Damian Barton for the Sperrin men according to the Twitterverse

Yeah that one is going down well as you can imagine!!

Wildweasel74

Please keep that one to the county forum we embarrassed enough, an absolute baffling appointment, think i take up golf for the next 3 years!!

Red eye

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2015, 09:09:01 PM
Quote from: Red eye on August 20, 2015, 04:20:08 PM
Quote from: SamFever on August 20, 2015, 02:18:29 PM
From Gaelic Life Twitter;;;;
GAELIC Life understands that Jim McCorry is to consider his position as manager of the Down senior football team.

The county executive met with the Mourne boss this week, and McCorry had hoped that a number of his doubts would be allayed. It seems, however, that issues still remain in place.

It is believed that McCorry requested the meeting four weeks ago, and the delay in scheduling it has not helped the siutation.

He is now likely to discuss the matter with his management team and advisors. It is understood that the Down players are very keen on him to remain in charge.

Despite a disappointing championship campaign, including a qualifier defeat to Wexford, McCorry appeared to be on solid ground due to it being his first year in charge, and also, due to the fact that he guided the team into division one.

That belief, however, fell apart when the county management recommended that he be removed from his post last month on a 7-6 score after they held a vote.

In the subsequent county board meeting, the clubs and board voted 23-13 in his favour. The seven who voted against him in the management committee then cast another seven votes against him to bring it to an overall 22-20 figure, ensuring he was retained as manager.

As for now, McCorry remains in charge and he was present at a number of club championship matches in recent weeks as he tries to spot new talent. Dan Gordon and Martin Clarke are expected to return to the county scene for the 2016 season.

Related Posts:

Saw that - know his comments after qualifier defeat didn't endear him among the Down support, and am still unsure. Claiming promotion to Div 1 was unexpected but they'll be under pressure to stay there, even with Dan and Marty back on board.
Am sure supporters are looking at Fermanagh and thinking there's a Down manager with a good record and yet he's in Fermanagh. Dunno what the County Board have against Pete but Down's loss looks like Fermanagh's gain.
If Sean Ward continues with the good work at Burren might be an option in another year or two but he would need to carry on with good work being done at present.
Can't see Armagh not reappointing Geezer.
What's the craic in Derry - Baker not considered? Barton? Or are they def looking outside the county - think last non Derry manager was Mullins?

Baker... God no!

Barton... Has a terrible record and there's probably not enough money in it for him!

So in spite of the poor record - and it is poor - still gonna fire money at it - heard he was around midfield for most of Kilreas match last week - will have to wind that in!!

Kilrea may be happy enough - seems Clubs do ok after he leaves!
Good luck with it - think you'll need it!!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on September 22, 2015, 02:25:40 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 22, 2015, 02:06:46 PM
A left field candidate for Kildare be discussed on the Kildare forum is Jack Cooney.

Any strong opinions on him from the Westmeath, Donegal or Sligo posters?

From a Westmeath perspective he was a selector under Paidi. Then he trained his own club Kinnegad. Took over half way through 2010 when they were going poorly. They got relegated, but he brought them straight back up. I have heard that they really took to him in Celbridge, where I think he won a league title last year. No doubt he learned a lot in the past year with Donegal.

Why would Sligo have an opinion? I'm not aware of him having trained a team up there.

Also big into the gym work which would suit Kildare down to the ground  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2015, 10:52:43 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 22, 2015, 12:13:21 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2015, 11:37:31 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 22, 2015, 11:36:43 AM
KCB keeping their cards close to their chests! Even rumours have dried up. John Evans has kindly ruled himself out, which was nice of him. Think it's between Glenn Ryan and Brian Murphy myself, just praying it's not a journey man.

Waiting for Cian O'Neill to finish up with Kerry.

I'd like to think so except this nugget from the Kerry Chairman

Kerry GAA Chairman Patrick O'Sullivan confirms in Tralee tonight that Eamonn Fitzmaurice and his management team are staying on next year.

Diarmuid Murphy must have settled himself so. At one point it looked like he was resigning during the game. Seemed to be fairly laying into Fitzmaurice.

I thought that was with Cian O'Neill initially. It looked to be about the Gooch and what was happening him.

Rossfan

A Mick Lillis appointed in Laois I believe while the only candidate for the Ros job has been recommended by the "Special Committee".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: twohands!!! on September 22, 2015, 01:55:44 PMRonan McCarthy has the Cork job apparently. A lot of Cork folk very unimpressed I've heard.

Heard that Cleary might well be back in the running for the Cork job - apparently Frank got it from all angles from a fair few of Cleary's old teammates and a few more of the Cork GAA footballing great and good at the 25th anniversary of the 1990 win.

twohands!!!

Some confirmed "ratifications"

Kildare - Cian O'Neill - three year term
Roscommon - Liam McStay and Fergal O'Donnell - Stephen Bohan, David Casey and Liam McHale are among the backroom team.
Laois - Mick Lillis - three year term

Cleary out of the running for the Cork job again - Serious shenanigans going on below there it appears.

tippabu

Still only rumours in tipp....Liam kearns, donie Buckley and Jason Ryan being mentioned. Donie Buckley would be brilliant but don't know if we could afford him. Would be really disappointed if it's Jason ryan

AZOffaly

Or Liam Kearns. Kearns' ship sailed in the noughties with Limerick I think. He wouldn't be a step forward from Creedon, that's for sure.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 06, 2015, 10:21:16 AM
Or Liam Kearns. Kearns' ship sailed in the noughties with Limerick I think. He wouldn't be a step forward from Creedon, that's for sure.

Kearns is a decent coach. Much better than some of the names mentioned in relation to the Tipp job.

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on October 06, 2015, 08:07:09 AM
Still only rumours in tipp....Liam kearns, donie Buckley and Jason Ryan being mentioned. Donie Buckley would be brilliant but don't know if we could afford him. Would be really disappointed if it's Jason ryan

Had always heard that Buckley had very little interest in being a manager - was far happier being a coach. Can see him leaving Mayo with all the goings-on but I'd be surprised if he ended up as manager somewhere.

No talk of Power returning from Wexford?

rodney trotter

O Riordan would be a big loss for a new manager coming in. http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1007/732980-oriordan-and-joyce-looking-for-afl-spots/

tippabu

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 07, 2015, 08:37:34 PM

O Riordan would be a big loss for a new manager coming in. http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1007/732980-oriordan-and-joyce-looking-for-afl-spots/

From what ive heard O'Riordan pretty much has a deal done with essendon, combine pretty much a formality. Massive loss alright. Couple of young players in philip quirke and coleman kennedy who id hoped would be in the senior set looks like they wont be playing next year either, quirkes cruciate is bollixed and kennedy is back in america for final year of collage. Still have a very young team, this next appointment  is a big one for us in developing our squad

Rossfan

So only Down, Mayowestros, Tipp and Cork left to get a Manager?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM