Sligo v. Limerick NFL

Started by magpie seanie, March 02, 2008, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Made it to a wet, windy and cold Markievicz Park today and witnessed a crucial win for our boys. We started the brighter and registered 3 points in a row at the start into the wind. Limerick got going then and partially aided by a strong breeze took the lead. Sligo kept battling and interestingly McNamara and Maguire were switched. Into injury time in the first half Sligo trailed by a point when disaster struck. A high ball into the square was misjudged by Fizzy and it went into the net. At the time it felt like it would be a killer blow. To our lads credit they kept battling and prompted by the outstanding Maguire at centre back took the game to the visitors. They levelled matters only to fall behind again but a great score by Quinner off his left boot was followed by the winner by Jonny Davey. A badly needed win and much to be optimistic about. I thought we played some good, constructive football at times - of a style sometimes different to our usual mode. There may be more strings to our bow come summer.

For me the centre back issue was solved today. It creates a problem at full back (which might be solved by Naughton) but Maguire was so good that he needs to be stationed at 6 permanently. I wouldn't have been as vehemently anti McNamara at 6 as some but I was very disappointed with him yesterday. He is probably worth a place on the team but I'd say it should be in the forwards. Good to see Quinner making a tit out of the idiots who were quick to scapegoat him after the Wexford game. He put in a great 70 minutes work and again he will improve. Beirne was a bit of a mixed bag. He seems keen enough and did some good things but took some really bad options at times when in possession. Assuming that can be coached out of him he has potential. And we have very few options there anyway. Harrison and Donovan good, up to usual high standard. Kivlehan did ok. Jonny Davey had a good game. Thought half forwards struggled at times but O'Hara came into the game at telling times in the second half. Cawley looked classy at times, particularly in the second half. Curran's game was a bit of a mixed bag. Gallagher seemed to be injured going off and was doing fairly well. David Kelly had a fine game and looks to be developing. Breheny - some good, some bad but will always pick up a few scores. Sweeney did well too.

So next game against Leitrim who have struggled badly to date. They will be frothing from the mouth for this one but if we win it they're nearly down and we're nearly safe.

stevo-08

by jaysus, that was a cold & wet day yesterday. but went away happy with the much needed 2 points & a much improved performance on the wexford game. the switch at centre back effectively won the game for us as maguire turned in a superb 2nd half. It does pose a headache in whether to leave him at no.6 or bring him back to full back. in any case it should now be him & naughton taking up those 2 positions and the next few lge matches might tell us which is the best selection.

O'hara also showed why he is still irreplaceable in the 2nd half. Not sure whether his first half performance was down to lack of match practice or just saving his energy for later in the game but he was a different man for the 2nd period.

Fizzy did well with kick outs and apart from the mistake for their goal, he had a good game overall. Backs did fine and with maguire operating in chb, they looked a formidable unit going forward too.

Midfield, big improvement in work rate from quinn but at times he seemed to be battling on his own in this area. So what do we do in this critical area - It's great to give Beirne plenty of game time and he'll improve im sure, but at this stage i couldnt see him starting come ch'ship. Does O'hara still have the legs for midfield?? Time will tell i suppose.

forwards, gallagher & kelly lively again. brehony looked sharper and is definitely better on the 14 than the 40. Sweeney showed yet again that for some reason, he's better coming off the bench. still lacking a bit of strength up front but could have options if john mac comes good or if mcnamara makes the switch.

SLIGONIAN

Nice to see seanie you made it to a Sligo match this yr ;).

Was ,mightly relived yday at full time. Sligo showed guts especially 2nd half. 9pts in all in them conditions. I thought main turning point was moving cawley to the half forwards and sweeney at ff. Cawley seemed to mop up alot of breaks. And  sweeny held the ball up in the limerick half. Its never nice to proven 100% right on CHB with mcnamara. Was hoping hed come good. It does worry me that our sideline took so long to see it. It creates another problem for me because I dont rate naughton. I will proven right there too. He was tried there for yrs in 2003-2004 and was a liability. I think personnally its a dangerous thing tinkering with our full back line. Mcguire is a class act but it weakens our fb line moving him out. Was mcgovern injured yday. Wasnt that impressed with kivelhan.

Despite seanie bias midfield is still a problem for me. Quinn got a great score off his left peg at a vital stage but although his workrate cannot be questioned himself and beirne can only seem to break the ball. when either are in possession they are very wasteful too. Never really give supply to our forwards advantagebeheny can only play well with top quality supply. If its 50/50 or he has to battle for it he loses possession. Hes pushed off the ball very easily. Some of his scores in the 1st half were outstanding off the wrong side with a cross wind not favouringhis left foot. On hoganstand someone gave quinn 5/10 and beirne 3/10. Id agree. Need to improve alot.

David kelly was very good yday, very clever runs and great scores. J davey was outstanding the man has no fear and it was fitting that he got winning score. Ohara did well.
Gallagher was taken off injured. What the story with mcpartland? Was on subs bench every game so far.

The main negative was mcnamara display and he needs to be moved to forwards or bench simple as that.

All in all happy enough with the win. Lets hope we can continue that and send our neighbours on the way to div4.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"