Is Ireland a nation of negative whingers?

Started by Eamonnca1, December 26, 2015, 07:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

I was going to post this on the Grinds-my-Gears thread, but it deserves a topic of its own.

It seems that just about every story posted on FB by an Irish news outlet, no matter how positive, usually draws overwhelmingly negative comments.

If it's the government tackling problem x, the chorus goes up: "what about problem y?" 
If the government tackles problem y: "What about problem x?"
If it's a worthwhile initiative to fix some long standing problem that's worth dealing with: "sure it's a joke" or "it's not going to work."
If it's officials on an international trip to drum up trade and investment, "sure it's only a junket."
If it's President Higgins saying something thoughtful, it's a tirade of personalized abuse mocking his height, personal appearance, or even his wife, usually coming from clueless morons who don't know how the constitution works, because he had to sign the water legislation into law.
If it's about Bono, it's the usual "pay your taxes you gobshite."
If it's about Bob Geldof it's the usual "shut up, who do you think you are being successful?"
If it's about any other internationally successful Irish artist: "Sure they're rubbish."
If it's about some bit of infrastructure being built: "sure what about the potholes on my street?"
If it's about helping migrants to assimilate, it's the timeless "what about the homeless" trope.

I'll bet the same whinging shower of apes making these moaning comments are the same people who go into a polling booth and make a point of voting for some tax-dodging, bribe-taking, convicted criminal who "fixshed de road" and forced the government to built a city-sized hospital in his small village just to "stick it to them."

When is the country going to grow up? When are people going to cut out the whinging and take a bit of responsibility for who they vote for? If you want the country to be run properly, vote for the right people. Demand an end to corruption. Demand transparency. If there's nobody decent to vote for, stand for election yourself. Take positive action. Do something about it. Don't just sit there whinging and refusing to believe every piece of good news.

INDIANA

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 26, 2015, 07:41:01 PM
I was going to post this on the Grinds-my-Gears thread, but it deserves a topic of its own.

It seems that just about every story posted on FB by an Irish news outlet, no matter how positive, usually draws overwhelmingly negative comments.

If it's the government tackling problem x, the chorus goes up: "what about problem y?" 
If it's a worthwhile initiative to fix some long standing problem that's worth dealing with: "sure it's a joke" or "it's not going to work."
If it's officials on an international trip to drum up trade and investment, "sure it's only a junket."
If it's President Higgins saying something thoughtful, it's a tirade of personalized abuse mocking his height, personal appearance, or even his wife, usually coming from clueless morons who don't know how the constitution works, because he had to sign the water legislation into law.
If it's about Bob Geldof it's the usual "shut up, who do you think you are being successful?"
If it's about any other internationally successful Irish artist: "Sure they're rubbish."
If it's about some bit of infrastructure being built: "sure what about the potholes on my street?"
If it's about helping migrants to assimilate, it's the timeless "what about the homeless" trope.

I'll bet the same whinging shower of apes making these moaning comments are the same people who go into a polling booth and make a point of voting for some tax-dodging, bribe-taking, convicted criminal who "fixshed de road" and forced the government to built a city-sized hospital in his small village just to "stick it to them."

When is the country going to grow up? When are people going to cut out the whinging and take a bit of responsibility for who they vote for? If you want the country to be run properly, vote for the right people. Demand an end to corruption. Demand transparency. If there's nobody decent to vote for, stand for election yourself. Take positive action. Do something about it. Don't just sit there whinging and refusing to believe every piece of good news.

-With a 147 different quangoes
-politicians expenses
- the shameful manner our public sector is run

I feel quite safe slagging off our money grabbing sc**bag politcians

Eamonnca1

And the ones that you voted for are all as pure as the driven snow?

thebigfella

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 26, 2015, 08:23:36 PM

Easy to say from California. You are a moron and Ireland north and south better off without you. That post is drivel and all about you.....f**k off Eamon we don't need c***ts like you running us down

INDIANA

I didn't vote for any of the pricks because they all corrupt. There are 3rd world african dictatorships run better then this despot that we live in

omaghjoe

::)
California aint a pile different.... a selection of contradictory winges from here

We need to conserve more water/ My neighbours grass is brown and its lowering the value of my house
We need rain/Is it raining? Bummer!
We need more freeways to help with this traffic / We need to burn less fossil fuels
Apple's marketing is ridiculous / I had to queue for 2 hours to get my iphone
LA needs a football team....ok heres two!...../ Why do we need two? ... Anyway the chargers are San Diego's team and the Raiders attract gangs
or my favourite....
Have you been to (insert any nasty cheap restaurant here) lately its soooo guud, but its nearly 8 bucks to eat lunch there now / I cant lose weight and I workout everyday.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: INDIANA on December 26, 2015, 09:06:26 PM

I didn't vote for any of the pricks because they all corrupt. There are 3rd world african dictatorships run better then this despot that we live in

Name one.

foxcommander

A whinger whinging about other people whinging. Top class post.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on December 27, 2015, 02:04:21 AM
A whinger whinging about other people whinging. Top class post.

A whinger whinging about a whinger whinging about whingers and their whinging. Whinging inception.

Niall Quinn

Would a negative whinger take aim at the apparent tautology in his descriptor?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 26, 2015, 07:41:01 PM

When is the country going to grow up? When are people going to cut out the whinging and take a bit of responsibility for who they vote for?

When people understand what citizenship means. Very far into the future, after clientelism is finished.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

When I want to do a straw poll on public opinion, I usually find that looking at Facebook comments provides me with the most balanced and measured of views. Maybe you should expand your research population to YouTube comments and blokes down the pub?
That was never a square ball!!

snoopdog

As long as there is a bandwagon to hop on we are usually a happy enough nation.
Irish rugby
Conor mcgregor
Euro 2016.

ONeill

Facebook eh? Stupid fcukin Internet thing. And the Internet is shit too. And shit is shit.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

We can be negative if we want to.
Leave the everything is great to Sky Sports and silly Yanks ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM