When did Munster last fail to reach an All Ireland final ?

Started by dec, September 02, 2012, 11:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

H: Galway v Kilkenny
F: Donegal v Mayo

Without looking it up can you say what year Munster last failed to provide a senior All Ireland fianlist?

And when was the last time that Ulster/Connacht provided a majority (at least 3) of the senior All Ireland finalists?

Capt Pat

From nemory 92 galway kilkenny and Dublin Donegal. I am close.

johnneycool

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 03, 2012, 02:07:05 AM
From nemory 92 galway kilkenny and Dublin Donegal. I am close.

Cork were in the 1992 AI hurling final.

Can't think there's been an all Leinster or Galway AI final since the back door was introduced and before that you'd need to go back to when Galway beat the Munster champions in a semi-final as Leinster and Munster were always the opposite side of the draw, 1987 was the last time that happened, but Cork were in the football final that year I think.

Keep on hunting.

Never beat the deeler

Good question. Was interested to find out so I gave in and googled it.

Wont post it up here, but pm me if you like (though I doubt many can recall all four finalists going back more than 10-15 years).
Hasta la victoria siempre

Capt Pat

No it is 98 kilkenny offaly and galway kildare. Before that maybe never? Don't mention the last five minutes of the clare offaly semi and the 3 point lead that made it happen.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 03, 2012, 10:09:35 AM
No it is 98 kilkenny offaly and galway kildare. Before that maybe never? Don't mention the last five minutes of the clare offaly semi and the 3 point lead that made it happen.

You are correct, however I was referring to the second question - the last time Connacht & Ulster provided at least 3/4 finalists.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 03, 2012, 10:19:03 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 03, 2012, 10:09:35 AM

You are correct, however I was referring to the second question - the last time Connacht & Ulster provided at least 3/4 finalists.

Hurling: Antrim v Cork
Football: Roscommon v Cavan

Hurling: Galway v Tipp
Football: Galway v Cavan

Rossfan

Wasn't 1925 the year MayoWR won the "All Ireland final " as Connacht's nominated representatives , then lost the delayed Connacht Final to Galway and Galway became All Ireland champions????

Ros v Sligo had delayed the Connacht Championship that year with a string of draws , objections , counter objections and various other forms of not accepting defeat which were the norm in the early GAA days.

The whole saga is reproduced regularly in match programmes over the years and as far as i recall reading about it  - the saga lasted from May to September
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

winker3716

My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"