The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

England are not a good side but they have a decent chance of getting to the semifinals. Their fans are always delusional.....just like some on here in relation to Man Utd, Liverpool etc.....who can forget the 'white Pele' reference to Rooney....now the DC hookers dream😜. Still wouldn't be surprised if Colombia beat them...and maybe on penalties 😂😂

seafoid

Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 29, 2018, 07:09:09 AM
England are not a good side but they have a decent chance of getting to the semifinals. Their fans are always delusional.....just like some on here in relation to Man Utd, Liverpool etc.....who can forget the 'white Pele' reference to Rooney....now the DC hookers dream😜. Still wouldn't be surprised if Colombia beat them...and maybe on penalties 😂😂
It's a tournament, not a league. If England got a bit of luck they could do very well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2018, 11:32:46 PM
How many English players playing outside of EPL?

The money is in the Premiership! This means that players are unlikely to move unless Barca or Real come knocking. PSG, Juventus and Bayern to a lesser degree. Like back in the '90's all Italian players played in Serie A, that was where the money was.

This English team is one of the least experienced for decades. The hype at the best is nothing on a par to other tournaments. They may be the surprise package of the Tournament.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 29, 2018, 09:13:33 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2018, 11:32:46 PM
How many English players playing outside of EPL?

The money is in the Premiership! This means that players are unlikely to move unless Barca or Real come knocking. PSG, Juventus and Bayern to a lesser degree. Like back in the '90's all Italian players played in Serie A, that was where the money was.

This English team is one of the least experienced for decades. The hype at the best is nothing on a par to other tournaments. They may be the surprise package of the Tournament.

So would Bale be the best 'Home' player ? You've mentioned 5 teams that don't have one English player,  that can compete year on year for the CL and don't have an interest in any of the English squad, but the players will stay in the EPL because the money is better?

Kane would make a fortune if he left Spurs to any of those top teams mentioned, I just think the top teams don't think they are good enough, barring Kane I'd say England are muck
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JPGJOHNNYG

Im confused when England lose to Colombia who will they then meet in the Semi Final  ;)

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 28, 2018, 11:54:24 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on June 28, 2018, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 28, 2018, 08:22:23 PM
That Januzaj looks a decent player somebody should sign him up!! 😂😂

I remember when he first emerged at united, I thought he was going to be a great player. Then he went out on loan and never came back. Now he is scoring a cracking goal for Belgium at the world cup.

England if they beat Colombia should make the semi final and maybe even the final.
I think people are mad if they think there's much of a gap between England and Columbia, Sweden or Switzerland. All three are fully capable of beating a limited English side.
Sweden were second in their qualifying group. Switzerland only have 8 players. Schaer, Seferovic and Behrami are not good enough for this level and have been slated in the home press.

Saying any of the 3 is capable of beating England is like saying Ros are capable of beating Galway. Comes with a huge standard deviation.

laoislad

No games today. Guess I'm gonna have to talk to the wife now tonight so...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

I'm sure she'll be just as annoyed  ;)

GJL

Turned on SS news last night just before 10pm and they were deep in a serious discussion about who England were likely to meet in the final. So far they have beaten Tunisia and Panama. LOL they will never learn.

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 12:05:10 PM

I remember when he first emerged at united, I thought he was going to be a great player. Then he went out on loan and never came back. Now he is scoring a cracking goal for Belgium at the world cup.

England if they beat Colombia should make the semi final and maybe even the final.
I think people are mad if they think there's much of a gap between England and Columbia, Sweden or Switzerland. All three are fully capable of beating a limited English side.
Sweden were second in their qualifying group. Switzerland only have 8 players. Schaer, Seferovic and Behrami are not good enough for this level and have been slated in the home press.

Saying any of the 3 is capable of beating England is like saying Ros are capable of beating Galway. Comes with a huge standard deviation.

Sweden came out of a group that included both France and the Netherlands, managing wins over both. They then got past Italy in qualifying and have just topped a group that included the reigning champions.

Sometimes what you don't say (especially so in your particular case) is as/more important than what you do.

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on June 29, 2018, 12:50:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 12:05:10 PM

Sweden came out of a group that included both France and the Netherlands, managing wins over both. They then got past Italy in qualifying and have just topped a group that included the reigning champions.

Sometimes what you don't say (especially so in your particular case) is as/more important than what you do.

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed?

Sweden are 24th in the FIFA world rankings. England are 12th. Belgium are third.
Holland and Italy are not in a great place currently either.

AZOffaly

I'm not sure the FIFA rankings are a great indicator. That said, on the field you wouldn't say Sweden are frightening, but they are well capable of beating England. Let's be honest, any of the 15 other teams left are capable of beating England. But it's also probably true that this is a cup competition, England seem to have a good spirit and a goalscorer who is having a lucky streak, so on any given day England could easily beat any of the other 15 teams too.

There hasn't been an absolute standout team so far, in my view. Belgium, Brazil (at times) and Croatia probably the most impressive so far.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 01:19:17 PM
I'm not sure the FIFA rankings are a great indicator. That said, on the field you wouldn't say Sweden are frightening, but they are well capable of beating England. Let's be honest, any of the 15 other teams left are capable of beating England. But it's also probably true that this is a cup competition, England seem to have a good spirit and a goalscorer who is having a lucky streak, so on any given day England could easily beat any of the other 15 teams too.

There hasn't been an absolute standout team so far, in my view. Belgium, Brazil (at times) and Croatia probably the most impressive so far.
Spain have also been decent

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 01:37:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 01:19:17 PM

Spain have also been decent

They were excellent attacking wise versus Portugal, but I was disappointed with them v Morocco and Iran.

AQMP

One of England, Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland will be in a WC semi final.  I'd say they all think they have a great chance of doing that.  England haven't been seriously tested yet.  Panama were the weakest team in the competition by a distance (apart from Germany ;)) and they stumbled past Tunisia.  They could chin Colombia or get humped 3-0. 

The competition is still wide open.  I haven't seen an outstanding team yet.  Croatia probably the best so far.