On this day.

Started by armaghniac, April 15, 2017, 05:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

In addition to the cost, there's the "why?".

When Kennedy announced it, it was about mobilizing the US against the Soviets, especially with the shock of Sputnik still so raw.

It was geopolitics first, science a distant second. It was a race to be first on the moon, nothing beyond that mattered. Once that was achieved, interest faded as there wasn't much to rouse public support at that point.

Plus, the US was a much different society then.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 22, 2023, 03:11:37 PM
While I don't hold up with any of these conspiracy theories I do find it a bit strange that it's now taking them so long to go back. I think the current programme has a timeline of 2026. Surely they could have just dusted down Apollo 11 and used it in the meantime

Yeah that's true. I remember it was about  2007/8 when China said they would get there in 10 years. Afaik I haven't heard of them getting  there yet  , yet that's 15 or 16  years later.  JFK said in about 62 that America  would do it by the end of the  60's. That's only    7 years with the technology available then . Yet 60 odd years later , and China haven't managed  it in  15 years?  :o

Quote from: J70 on July 22, 2023, 04:35:56 PM
In addition to the cost, there's the "why?".

When Kennedy announced it, it was about mobilizing the US against the Soviets, especially with the shock of Sputnik still so raw.

It was geopolitics first, science a distant second. It was a race to be first on the moon, nothing beyond that mattered. Once that was achieved, interest faded as there wasn't much to rouse public support at that point.

Plus, the US was a much different society then.

Very true

Blowitupref

August 29th in 1926 the first ever radio broadcast of a GAA match took place between Galway and Kilkenny in the All Ireland senior hurling semi final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 29, 2023, 05:42:52 PM
August 29th in 1926 the first ever radio broadcast of a GAA match took place between Galway and Kilkenny in the All Ireland senior hurling semi final.
What about the split season?

Hoof Hearted

25th September in the year 83...
As the song goes.
40 years today
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

trueblue1234

20 years ago today. Tyrone won their first AI.

20 years ago!!  :o
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 28, 2023, 09:45:53 AM20 years ago today. Tyrone won their first AI.

20 years ago!!  :o

Mad I don't remember it being a Thursday.

rrhf

Cant remember the Monday, tues wed and Thursday either.  Started to come right about a week after.  Good times...
Some panel. The only team to beat them that year was Monaghan... 

red hander

20 years! Where does the time go.

God14

What a day. The best ever.

naka

Quote from: God14 on September 28, 2023, 03:15:37 PMWhat a day. The best ever.
Hmmm
Depends where you are from

clarshack

Quote from: God14 on September 28, 2023, 03:15:37 PMWhat a day. The best ever.

Always thought 2003 was more about the relief of finally getting the monkey off our back. 2005 was better and more enjoyable imo.

armaghniac

On this day in 1966, 116 children & 28 adults were buried alive in a primary school in Aberfan, South Wales as a collapsing colliery slag heap caused a massive landslide
https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1715642834798182699
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster

I was in the first year of primary school then and there was a prayer for the victims or somesuch and I think the teacher pointed out that we did not had a slag heap overlooking our school, only a drumlin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AustinPowers

Alan McLoughlin's equalising goal sends Ireland  to the  World Cup in the US.

30 years! Mad.

Milltown Row2

At the time I only lived a mile (as the crow flies) from Windsor in Iveagh, and the noise levels you could hear from the front door, the silence after that goal was deafening lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea