Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Not sure - hopefully!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: johnneycool on November 10, 2014, 02:59:57 PM
Quote from: getevennotcross on November 09, 2014, 02:51:16 PM

Bloody marvelous eh!  So KR is a great manager, I fail to comprehend such an analogy?  Great Managers, win trophies, championships and at the same time change in short order, things which have clearly not worked in the past.  Good managers also develop others which will ensure things get done in the right manner and according to the plan.  In a nutshell, they manage the collective and individuals therein.

No offense but I think there's delusions of grandeur in Antrim a bit if you'd expect to be winning trophies, other than the one game Ulster championship which Kevin has already done.

Getting out of Div1B would be a monumental achievement and avoiding relegation in itself is not to be sniffed at with the current batch of Antrim hurlers.

that would be something. if we could achieve something like that it would be massive for us.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hurler24

I think KR Antrim set-up is definitely a positive. The team have been back training for several weeks. Last year the U21s were integrated with the seniors which is a first I think for Antrim. Both these things are how successful counties down south work. And as for the Watson issue I think in this case he is correct to leave him out. His hurling ability is not being questioned but he takes away from a positive atmosphere in the squad which I understand the rest of the Loughgiel players buy into. Would be great to see a relatively young squad push on and be competitive in Div 1b and Leinster!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Hurler24 on November 10, 2014, 03:47:07 PM
I think KR Antrim set-up is definitely a positive. The team have been back training for several weeks. Last year the U21s were integrated with the seniors which is a first I think for Antrim. Both these things are how successful counties down south work. And as for the Watson issue I think in this case he is correct to leave him out. His hurling ability is not being questioned but he takes away from a positive atmosphere in the squad which I understand the rest of the Loughgiel players buy into. Would be great to see a relatively young squad push on and be competitive in Div 1b and Leinster!
just heard that Tony, Eddie and Chrissy  are all training with the county panel. Good to hear. Is Odhrán training this year?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on November 10, 2014, 02:59:57 PM

Bloody marvelous eh!  So KR is a great manager, I fail to comprehend such an analogy?  Great Managers, win trophies, championships and at the same time change in short order, things which have clearly not worked in the past.  Good managers also develop others which will ensure things get done in the right manner and according to the plan.  In a nutshell, they manage the collective and individuals therein.

No offense but I think there's delusions of grandeur in Antrim a bit if you'd expect to be winning trophies, other than the one game Ulster championship which Kevin has already done.

Getting out of Div1B would be a monumental achievement and avoiding relegation in itself is not to be sniffed at with the current batch of Antrim hurlers.

I've never thought or spoken to anyone who seriously believes otherwise.

getevennotcross

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 10, 2014, 11:24:45 AM
Quote from: hurlingstick on November 09, 2014, 11:41:24 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 09, 2014, 11:24:10 AM
There has never been a situation open for him to return to the fold mickey. That door has been firmly closed. And yes, it might appear to be one way in social media but I can assure you it is far from that behind closed doors.

If a player doesn't want to play for the county then move on, regardless of the reasons. Kevin Ryan is a great manager! We need to be careful what we wish for. I would love to see more Shamrocks on the county team, especially some of those talented attackers that they have always been able to produce. With regards to Winker - I think he is more bother than he is worth. I've also thought for a long time that actually Benny McCarry is the best attacker in the county. Hope he comes home from AUS, he is a bloody good player.

To finish off McManus made a few snide comments himself last season and therefore shoulders some of the blame. Secondly, being one of the very very few county supporters to have been at every game home and away he would be better focusing on his performances, he is highly overrated. There are better players (combination of attitude and ability) on the panel, Neal McAuley to name one.

I would be of the opinion also, great managers would not be under the influence of hasbeens and those who have failed to achieve in thesi past.  Can we honestly say that KR, a good committed hurling man as he is, has not been open to influence and the negative prejudice of the tribal cliques within the team, and more worryingly peripheral administrators.  I think not?

I could not agree with you more HS, N. McAuley would be be a significant asset to any team and should be given an opportunity to step up to the plate.  McManus and McNaughton (s) to name but a few, were instrumental in creating the hostile environment for the return of the Loughguile players.  Should Watson, McCarry, Shay Casey and some of those other Loughguile lads be invited or chose top go back to the county (my sincere wish is they do), such a scenario will require good team and individual personnel management. 

Our underlying issue for our hurlers and footballers for that matter, is they do not feel honoured or take pride in being selected to play for their county. Playing for ones county requires major commitment and discipline, yet the conditions  for such a buy in by the players, needs to be in place and honoured. Far be it from me to have the temerity to suggest I have the panacea to cure the counties ills, in terms of performance and future success, but I know one thing, collective bonding of the individuals and personalities with a 'Team' needs to be managed. We can have all the individual talent in the world, but individual talent is just not enough in our case.  Bringing together in a cohesive manner the  key individuals with higher levels of talent than others, need to be embraced and managed.  We are all unique individuals with varying degrees of ability and personality, yet we all have our demons. Embrace individualism with the purpose of utilising and maximising the potential of such talent, however, manage it to serve the greater purpose and objective.
never seen it put better. 110% right
Thank you SG.  It took a while getting it right, as I do not wish to cause offence of any sort.  But I am a common 5/8's McCooey probably does not know any better.  It is my sincere wish the Loughguile players go back to the county, putting aside how Eddie McCloskey was treated, which was shambolic nevertheless.  Inasmuch as I have belief in KR, I would never doubt his coaching ability, but man management of teams and individuals within those teams, requires a varied and experienced skills set.

getevennotcross

Quote from: mickey80 on November 10, 2014, 08:54:27 PM
P.s. Getevennotcross, that's three trolling private messages you have sent me without getting a reply. Bore off, ballbag.
Now now Mick, no need for profanity, really not necessary at all. Lighten up man, ur BP sure to rise. Maybe we can avoid the insults, just maybe?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 10, 2014, 04:00:35 PM
just heard that Tony, Eddie and Chrissy  are all training with the county panel. Good to hear. Is Odhrán training this year?
I hope Mc Fadden is back after the way he played last year
Good to see some more LG players on the panel. Hope this stops the parinoid mindset.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 11, 2014, 11:20:34 AM
Good to see some more LG players on the panel. Hope this stops the parinoid mindset.
There was no paranoia NAH. What happened, happened. Hopefully it'll be forgotten and progress made. There's always hope.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sham Man

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 11, 2014, 11:20:34 AM
Fur fux sake, lets be brutally honest here. :o  The Antrim Hurling panel was not a very warm or receptive place for Shams men when we were on a roll.  Even after defeat this year, Eddie was also shafted by bitter and green eyed elements in the Antrim panel.  Nobody more than me would love to see my club men back doing their bit for the county.  But don't lets pretend what happened, didn't happen.  Certainly hope Duck and Clyde get a call, both have played some savage stuff the past few years.  Strong, gutsy and committed, exactly the sort our county team needs.  Lets reconcile ourselves to the fact ffs, we need the best we can produce, end of!  ::)  Kevin Ryan probably needs to grow a pair and ignore the negative murmurings around him.  Lets wait and see?  :-\  Up the Shams. ;D  Lets be very clear here, the paranoia and bitterness was not of the Shams making, but lets move on!
Shamrocks are winners!

Sham Man

As an aside, some of you feckers need to take a chill pill and avoid gettin above yur station, ffs relax.  ;)
Shamrocks are winners!

blueblood

Geteven I see one of your fav refs if your to believe your posts has called it a day in the Antrim Post today, to be fair its not a bad read whatever opinions you have of the individual, deals with an issue that is getting worse not better if truth be told.It must have been that big cheque for the Derry Final Lol

tam moore 84..

Its great that we as a county have so many great hurlers to chose from that we can leave the best hurler antrim or indeed ulster has ever seen out.  A man that set a record on all-ireland club hurling day final in croker scoring 3 - 7 and on all ire-land semi final day scored 16 points.  A man that any other county would only be too delighted to have.  All this 'oh were better off with out him'.  What garbage.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

getevennotcross

Quote from: blueblood on November 11, 2014, 05:16:56 PM
Geteven I see one of your fav refs if your to believe your posts has called it a day in the Antrim Post today, to be fair its not a bad read whatever opinions you have of the individual, deals with an issue that is getting worse not better if truth be told.It must have been that big cheque for the Derry Final Lol
Nope, not me. To put things in perspective, I for one dont have a fav referee. To be perfectly honest, never had any great love for them, opportunists, egotists and shiesters, well the majority of them anyway. The only decent ones I recall, Billy Reid, Gough and Tommy Mc a something from up the country. Good, decent, genuine and principled individuals.

In addition, I dont subscribe to the local toe rags, CAP, AN, IN etc. I'more of an Irish Times man and Examiner myself. I'll have to take your word for it that its not a bad read, but maybe, you would know about such a subject matter, more so than I?  Bottom line for me, I dont give one jot. I suspect that may be where all refs differ?