Leinster U-20 Football 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2017, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Didn't make it last night but clearly a good performance and more than we expected. It's nice to win and be competitive for trophies, but keeping the conveyor belt ticking over is important too. There are good footballers in this team

The PRO

Definitely a few potential seniors in this group. Lowry, Whelan, O'Flynn, Kelly are all excellent.

High Fielder

Were there many missing from the panel? Sean Byrne of Port springs to mind. I like the midfielder from Camross although I don't think he started despite being named on the team. Hitchcock also impresses me when I see him. I'd be encouraged by the result bearing in mind the delay in appointing a coach and the delay getting set up

Butch Cassidy

Any lads not playing because of the leaving cert? Why is this not delayed until August so lads can concentrate on the leaving?

High Fielder

There was plenty to be said at the start of this thread and now nobody seems to know anything. The Coach wasn't given a chance from day one by some people and some players. I'm delighted for O'Loughlin that he proved a lot of people wrong by putting a team out who wanted to represent Laois well.

Unlaoised

I was at the game but I didn't have a programme so it took me a while to know who was playing where and also hard to comment after as I can't put names to numbers....

Lowry looked dangerous and James kelly was good in midfield the guy Tyrell who played for Ballyfin last year in the championship came on and done very well he is a big unit.

Our half back line struggled a bit although the young Coutwood lad Flynn I think was good.

Number 13 from Kildare was on a lot of ball and scored a nice bit ..Kildare Subs made a big impact and we lacked a big of leadership on the field when the tide was turning ...even breaking up play or being cute in ways delaying time could have got us over the line.

Kildare were by far the better team in truth and our goals tho were gutsy in the first half were very much against the run of play...

The Whelan guy from Ballyroan looks like a player who could be a great option on the senior bench!!
LAOIS ABÚ

High Fielder

Great stuff Unlaoised. Thanks for that. You'd wonder at the wisdom of young lads deciding a coach wasn't to their liking and opting out. You represent your County the last time I checked, not a Manager or Coach

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 29, 2018, 12:58:55 PM
I was at the game but I didn't have a programme so it took me a while to know who was playing where and also hard to comment after as I can't put names to numbers....

Lowry looked dangerous and James kelly was good in midfield the guy Tyrell who played for Ballyfin last year in the championship came on and done very well he is a big unit.

Our half back line struggled a bit although the young Coutwood lad Flynn I think was good.

Number 13 from Kildare was on a lot of ball and scored a nice bit ..Kildare Subs made a big impact and we lacked a big of leadership on the field when the tide was turning ...even breaking up play or being cute in ways delaying time could have got us over the line.

Kildare were by far the better team in truth and our goals tho were gutsy in the first half were very much against the run of play...

The Whelan guy from Ballyroan looks like a player who could be a great option on the senior bench!!
I thought Kelly faded out of the game. I had hoped for more from him. Great ball for first goal though. Has potential. Will come again.
Tyrell was quite poor and ineffective when he came on. I'd be very disappointed to hear the reason he didn't start as well. To say he done very well is a bizarre appraisal. He'll need to be more than a big unit to progress on the intercounty scene from here on in, he's not in minor anymore.
Dunne from Killeshin in the middle was impressive and can count himself unlucky to be removed.
Whelan is a real prospect.
Pity Kavanagh went off, has a lot about him. Sad state that he's the only viable Portlaoise candidate at this grade, an indictment of PGAA.
Lowry took his goals well, and a great point near the end. A proper little baller.
Full back line competed well given their opponents and the massive supply they had.
Byron done well, apart from the odd wayward kickout.

Wouldnt be overly disappointed with the defeat, saw enough to be very encouraged. Billy got a lot of criticism here, but he turned out a team with short notice, that put the f**ks up a fancied Kildare side who are further down the line in terms of prep than us, in their home patch. Credit him and his players.

High Fielder

Fair play Don. Anyone missing you'd like to see in there?

SCFC

Quote from: High Fielder on May 29, 2018, 01:46:51 PM
Fair play Don. Anyone missing you'd like to see in there?
I'm not sure who these lads that turned down the county are.
Liam Delaney and the Comerford lads are concentrating on hurling. Sean Byrne is out with a dreadful long term injury. I'm not sure if Ross McGrath is even playing club football. Then you have a clatter of younger lads who were doing the Leaving and no one should have to make that choice.

Laois fan

Prob young colin slevin and jack owens might of featured but both are doing leaving i think.jordan fitzpatrick from port is involved but only coming back from injury,would be a handy forward to throw in for last 15

From the Terrace

I thought we played decent a bit disappointed in the end we didnt get a draw, Our defender near the end was a bit reckless with the challenge for leading score. Thought bennett, bolger, dunne, lowry, whelan were good. like a previous poster dont know what tyrell done when he came on to impress.

Don Draper

Quote from: From the Terrace on May 29, 2018, 04:23:52 PM
I thought we played decent a bit disappointed in the end we didnt get a draw, Our defender near the end was a bit reckless with the challenge for leading score. Thought bennett, bolger, dunne, lowry, whelan were good. like a previous poster dont know what tyrell done when he came on to impress.
The problem stemmed from Laois giving Kildare the kickout following Whelans free. Once we did that, we were fucked. The wing back got caught under the high ball, the corner back caught thereafter. Kildare didn't make the same mistake from our kickout, they bullied us back. They're further on than us, but we showed enough last night to come away with some hope that the production line is up and running again to some degree. Woulda been nice to have the county on a high with winning teams in minor U20 and senior, but sure f**k it.

Laoiseabu

I think Whelan even though got on the end of a few scores is too lightweight for senior and isn't great at winning his own ball . I think Kelly isn't big enough for midfield and as was seen already is found wanting at senior level. I was impressed by Bolger at centre back and he has really developed since minor level. Eoin Dunne was doing well and was removed? Shocking decision . Maybe Tyrell should of been midfield and put Dunne full foward as a ball winner or vice versa as we were a bit small in there. Jordan Fotzpatrick from port should of been playing , would of added a bit of drive and physicality to the fowards and can score a point too.

Laois fan

How many teams qualify from group