2016 Leinster Football Championship

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, May 09, 2016, 09:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

I don't travel to watch the Dublin hurlers, so that was my first visit to Nowlan Park. Lovely ground, nice location.

I've said this before, but the best way to make Leinster competitive would be to rotate Dublin, as capital, between each of the 4 provinces.

Separately, London and New York should be rotated between every county, so that every county would travel to one of them every 16 years

Catch and Kick

Just saw the Sunday Game coverage of the Dubs and Laois last night. Did Dean Rock foul the ball - it looked like he changed the ball from hand to hand?

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on June 06, 2016, 08:12:55 AM
I don't travel to watch the Dublin hurlers, so that was my first visit to Nowlan Park. Lovely ground, nice location.

I've said this before, but the best way to make Leinster competitive would be to rotate Dublin, as capital, between each of the 4 provinces.

Separately, London and New York should be rotated between every county, so that every county would travel to one of them every 16 years

Hound surely if you realise Dublin's dominance is a serious retarding factor for Leinster teams you'd also know rotating them would just spread the pain wider? I don't think anyone besides Dublin would enjoy the sight of the juggernaut ambling in to beat the shite into them every four years.

The solution is much more structural than the simplistic solution you've offered.

muppet

Quote from: Catch and Kick on June 06, 2016, 08:15:27 AM
Just saw the Sunday Game coverage of the Dubs and Laois last night. Did Dean Rock foul the ball - it looked like he changed the ball from hand to hand?

Didn't see what you are talking about, so might not have picked you up right, but it is not a foul when you change the ball from one hand to the other, as long as both hands are touching the ball when it leaves one hand to go to the other.

This is legal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sp30TBN0tQ

As is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3G1bwD0ao0
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

not a bad idea.
It would be good for local trade as well

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

All games would still have to played at the neutral Croke Park.

Fear ón Srath Bán

And sure to make the All-Ireland itself more competitive why don't we send Dublin to play overseas for 3 years out of every 4!  ;)

Seriously, this is skirting around the Leinster 'competitivity' deficit, not actually addressing it, which would be to raise the standard of the rest of the counties (easier said than done, granted).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 06, 2016, 01:43:24 PM

And sure to make the All-Ireland itself more competitive why don't we send Dublin to play overseas for 3 years out of every 4!  ;)

Seriously, this is skirting around the Leinster 'competitivity' deficit, not actually addressing it, which would be to raise the standard of the rest of the counties (easier said than done, granted).

Is Ulster much more competitive? Connacht probably isn't and Munster isn't either. I know I'm a broken record on this but put Dublin in with their division 1 rivals and they may still win the All Ireland but at least the journey would be interesting with plenty of cracking sub plots. As it is, they'll play, at most, 3 competitive games from QF onwards. Kerry/Cork, Mayo/Roscommon might get one more, Tyrone/Donegal/Monaghan potentially 5 competitive games.

Why do we not want a sensible, structured competition where teams of similar ability play each other? Mickey Harte said a team outside of division 1 couldn't win the All Ireland, well it's probably just as true of a provincial title if there is even one division 1 team in it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

No argument there Zulu, and if we're going to 'break' the Provincial system we might as well do a proper job of it and initiate properly competitive structures for the Championship, with each team playing a similar number of games to reach any given stage.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

The GPA proposal while imperfect would improve the situation massively by simply having more games. More games will still include hammerings but at least there would be a chance of having an odd competitive game to show on television before August. It would be easier for teams to build some momentum too.

Rossfan

The GPA proposal had built in hammeringins in it.
The logical change would be to mirror the club situation of Senior/Inter/Junior all Ireland Championships.
Won't happen in my lifetime though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

But then the small counties would be put in the same situation as the Lory Meagher cup teams where no one will even notice they exist or care. It would kill football even more brutally in the weaker counties.

armaghniac

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 06, 2016, 04:23:25 PM
But then the small counties would be put in the same situation as the Lory Meagher cup teams where no one will even notice they exist or care. It would kill football even more brutally in the weaker counties.

Do people notice Carlow footballers, say? The likes of Armagh and Down have bad days, but people still talk about them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

They would if they had a home game against the likes of Kerry/Mayo in the championship as would happen in the GPA's proposal. Granted they'd more than likely take a hammering but at least there would be an occasion in the town. If they managed to beat a division 3 team in the group stages they would be guaranteed 4 championship games which hasn't happened too often in their history.
Carlow as a county is underachieving and have the potential to be stronger, it is not that long since they were beating Louth and drawing with Meath in the championship.