Alan Dillon Retires

Started by mrhardyannual, November 28, 2017, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhardyannual

There's a tidy "All-Star" corner-back in Westport by the name of "Ringo" who will defend his territory with vigour.

TheGreatest

He lost 6 All Ireland finals.

Gael85

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 04, 2017, 10:31:52 AM
He lost 6 All Ireland finals.

Was still a very good player and always gave Dublin a bit of bother. Had great against Dublin in 2012

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

theskull1

As if that matters whether he himself was a great player or not. He was a very talented footballer
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gael85

maigheo

Yes and I think a Schools final as well

Rossfan

The teams he played for lost those finals.
Medals are a sign you had 14 good players along with you.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2017, 09:26:49 AM

No one loses that many finals without having multiple chances to get one over the line. The problem wasn't talent of the supporting cast in a good few of those.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2017, 03:08:58 PM

No one loses that many finals without having multiple chances to get one over the line. The problem wasn't talent of the supporting cast in a good few of those.
Would you care to name any that comes to (your) mind?  I mean if you discount the talent of the supporting cast, which I take to be his team mates, you are saying it his fault that he (and they) didn't get over the line.
The fact that he kept coming back time after time, says a lot for his determination, same as can be said for his former colleagues on the county senior panel.
You can say the same about his football ability also- right into his early thirties, he was an automatic selection; he wasn't there to make up numbers.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 05, 2017, 08:30:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2017, 03:08:58 PM

Would you care to name any that comes to (your) mind?  I mean if you discount the talent of the supporting cast, which I take to be his team mates, you are saying it his fault that he (and they) didn't get over the line.
The fact that he kept coming back time after time, says a lot for his determination, same as can be said for his former colleagues on the county senior panel.
You can say the same about his football ability also- right into his early thirties, he was an automatic selection; he wasn't there to make up numbers.

I mean it's the grey matter of the 15 on the field and the management that have conspired to ensure Mayo didn't win even a single AI in 2012, 2013, 2014 (not even a final but probably the worst of all), 2016 or 2017. It wasn't lack of talent. That's why it's hard for me to fell sorry for Mayo's supposed plight.

From the Bunker

Ok we have come to the conclusion that he was not much good and the teams he played on were not much good. It's all based an AI titles after all! Can we leave it at that?

ONeill

Fine player who would have won 3 AIs with Tyrone had he been born in Trillick or something.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on December 05, 2017, 09:43:24 PM
Fine player who would have won 3 AIs with Tyrone had he been born in Trillick or something.

He'd probably have 4! Cos he would have not been playing for the 04 Mayo team! Get it?

ONeill

I was trying to be nice. Mickey wouldn't have had that lack of pure dirt around him back then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.