America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2019, 04:09:30 PM

I'm all for gun regulation and extremely tight regulation at that. I'm in favor of a gun buyback program. I'm in favor of people needing to take out extra homeowners insurance. I'm in favor of taking away guns from domestic abusers, substance abusers and anyone with a criminal record. I'm in favor of upping the age at which people can buy guns. I'm in favor of banning high capacity magazines. I'm in favor abolishing open carry laws. I'm in favor of restricting the storage and use of assault weapons to secure shooting ranges. I'm in favor of background checks that include a trip to the proctologist

What I'm not of favor of is an overblown knee jerk reaction to ban assault weapons that  provides some great talking points to CNN but will prevent less than 1% of gun deaths

Why?

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2019, 02:47:28 PM

Good deflection, but essentially what you are proposing is that we ban trucks based on what happened
Good jaysus

Robo-fascist is in the house

screenexile

I'm all for gun regulation and extremely tight regulation at that. I'm in favor of a gun buyback program. I'm in favor of people needing to take out extra homeowners insurance. I'm in favor of taking away guns from domestic abusers, substance abusers and anyone with a criminal record. I'm in favor of upping the age at which people can buy guns. I'm in favor of banning high capacity magazines. I'm in favor abolishing open carry laws. I'm in favor of restricting the storage and use of assault weapons to secure shooting ranges. I'm in favor of background checks that include a trip to the proctologist

What I'm not of favor of is an overblown knee jerk reaction to ban assault weapons that  provides some great talking points to CNN but will prevent less than 1% of gun deaths

With the amount of gun deaths in America surely that less than 1% is still a significant number . . . you'd rather more people died than CNN get something to talk about??!!

Weird!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on August 08, 2019, 08:07:31 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 08, 2019, 07:01:09 PM
The US constitution has been amended over 25 times, it can be amended again. It took a while to figure out that the prohibition of alcohol was a wrong turn and they were able to change their minds about that. The gun nuts are determined to push guns into the hands of terrorists and the mentally ill. If they keep it up for much longer then repealing 2A will become a lot easier. It would help if the Democrats would stop parroting the "I respect the second amendment" bullsh1t. It's ink on a page, poorly worded at that, and has not earned any respect.

Hypothetically that is correct, but who will sign up to confiscate the 300,000,000 guns that are in the hands of the general population.
That's not how these things work. When other countries banned weapons there were various methods used to taking them out of circulation, such as buy-backs and amnesties. Going around knocking on doors and asking for every weapon is not the way they did it.

QuoteWill a change in the constitution take one single solitary gun out of the hands of a criminal?

Seems to work in other countries.

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2019, 04:24:45 PM

With the amount of gun deaths in America surely that less than 1% is still a significant number . . . you'd rather more people died than CNN get something to talk about??!!

Weird!

Actually it's not weird at all

The gun debate has a lot of similarities to the debate over abortion

People who are Pro Choice/Abortion don't want any restrictions on when you can have an abortion, because that could the beginning of a "slippery slope" of tighter and tighter regulation.

The Pro gun lobby use exactly the same argument...if you ban Automatic weapons (even though they were banned once before) what's the next type of gun that will be banned?

The slippery slope argument is probably the best argument the gun lobby have that keeps possible fence sitters on their side. Why would you expend your political capital proposing a solution that would address less than 1% of the problem and at the same time give the NRA a bogeymen-East Coast Liberal Elites-to rally against

Gmac

Only guns I'm worried about this morning are these 💪💪 nice and quiet at equinox hopefully the snowflakes stay away permanently

Gmac

J70

whitey

Quote from: J70 on August 11, 2019, 10:15:13 AM
Quote from: Gmac on August 10, 2019, 07:06:23 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 10, 2019, 10:03:14 AM
Guess who said it: Tucker Carlson or a far-right shooter

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/10/tucker-carlson-fox-news-united-states-race
the author of this piece would make aoc look like a moderate

What do you disagree with?

So do the Democrats get to decide who and what is racist?

In the past month:

I have heard that Nancy Pelosi is racist.......for attempting to silence women of color.

I have heard that Joe Biden is racist.......for opposing busing and working with segregationists

I have heard that Little House on the Prairie was racist

The Apollo Moon Landing was racist

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2019, 11:36:07 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/10/tucker-carlson-fox-news-united-states-race

In the past month:

I have heard that Nancy Pelosi is racist.......for attempting to silence women of color.

I have heard that Joe Biden is racist.......for opposing busing and working with segregationists

What does any of that have to do with my question?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on August 11, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

In the past month:

Who gets to define what is racist and who gets to define who is a white supremacist?  The Guardian, the Democratic Party, AOC?

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2019, 02:17:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 11, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

In the past month:

Who gets to define what is racist and who gets to define who is a white supremacist?  The Guardian, the Democratic Party, AOC?

It's an opinion piece, written to refute Carlson's opinion of the same.

If your opinion is different to the writer in question and you want to defend Carlson, have at it, just like Gmac is entitled to do.

whitey

That article implies that if you are not for open borders you are both a racist and a white nationalist.

Why is his definition of racism incorrect, while theirs is correct?

"Carlson may not even notice what he is doing, or realize that he has a "white nationalist" viewpoint. That's, in part, because he accepts the definition of racism as "racial hatred". Instead, we should define it as valuing people of different races differently, and accepting a racial hierarchy of wealth and power as natural. If you care about what happens to white auto workers, but don't care about what happens to Guatemalans or Somalis, that's racism."

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2019, 03:20:40 PM
That article implies that if you are not for open borders you are both a racist and a white nationalist.

Why is his definition of racism incorrect, while theirs is correct?

"Carlson may not even notice what he is doing, or realize that he has a "white nationalist" viewpoint. That's, in part, because he accepts the definition of racism as "racial hatred". Instead, we should define it as valuing people of different races differently, and accepting a racial hierarchy of wealth and power as natural. If you care about what happens to white auto workers, but don't care about what happens to Guatemalans or Somalis, that's racism."

Why don't you tell us why the opposite should be the truth?

And I don't see any mention of open borders or the specifics of how immigrants get here, merely the author railing against Carlson's scare mongering about the increasing proportion of minorities in the US.