America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 08, 2019, 07:01:09 PM
The US constitution has been amended over 25 times, it can be amended again. It took a while to figure out that the prohibition of alcohol was a wrong turn and they were able to change their minds about that. The gun nuts are determined to push guns into the hands of terrorists and the mentally ill. If they keep it up for much longer then repealing 2A will become a lot easier. It would help if the Democrats would stop parroting the "I respect the second amendment" bullsh1t. It's ink on a page, poorly worded at that, and has not earned any respect.

Hypothetically that is correct, but who will sign up to confiscate the 300,000,000 guns that are in the hands of the general population. Will a change in the constitution take one single solitary gun out of the hands of a criminal?

Puckoon

Quote from: whitey on August 08, 2019, 08:07:31 PM
Will a change in the constitution take one single solitary gun out of the hands of a criminal?

Really really interesting comment that gets bandied about a lot. I assume by criminal, you mean a bad guy - with a gun. Chicago, LA. Gangs, Convenience store robbers etc...?

The folks who are committing these mass shootings usually aren't a criminal in the sense that gun advocates use the term - right up until the moment they plan, snap, and start shooting up kids.

So, would a change in the constitution prevent any of these atrocities? Of course it would. Would it change common criminality - perhaps. Perhaps not.

Either way, one is a common place issue in almost all societies and for want of a better word - a resignation of society that there will be a criminal element that takes up our resources and keeps folks awake at night and scared when they walk down a dark alley... Mass slaughter of folks in a day time mall/school/cinema is not.

tonto1888

Quote from: whitey on August 08, 2019, 05:48:00 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 08, 2019, 05:29:05 PM
I say you don't empathize with them, after reading your posts.

Where did I say I you couldnt ban assault weapons - I didn't say you said that - I pointed out that you said banning them wouldn't bring down the statistics. You could ban every automatic weapon in the country and the overall "gun death rate" per 100,000 would probably decrease by a rounding error because the vast majority of deaths are via handguns. You should try reading yourself. Especially the report I linked to where it makes very clear that it makes a real, measurable difference to get rid of assault weapons, not a rounding error.

If you glommed the crime statistics of Blanchardstown/Tallaght together with those of Foxrock and came up with an average, Im sure it would make for very scary reading for the residents of Foxrock.
That's not how national statistics work. Which is what we are talking about. But you know how spoofing works, very well. Because you live in Foxrock and you don't give a fcuk about anyone else.

If you think the second amendment will be repealed, good for you. Im sure it makes you feel better

I didn't say that it would, I merely pointed out that it could be, hence the spending of the NRA and gun lobby. But why stop spoofing now? What makes me feel better is knowing that I'm not like you.

That's the best news I have heard all day

The tone in here actually goes a long way towards explaining how Trump got elected (and very well may get re-elected). And I didn't even vote for him-I voted for Jill stein-lol

Disagree with me and you're a racist  and a white supremacist.

Got news for you though, over here there's just as many of me as there are of you. People who work hard, obey the law, pay our taxes, contribute to our communities and raise our families. Yes, I have  sympathy and empathy for those less well off than myself, but I can't solve the worlds problems and  like the ongoing traveler feud, some people are just beyond redemptiin

Empathy? You're the guy who compared the victims of automatic rifles to a rounding error.

trailer

Quote from: whitey on August 08, 2019, 08:07:31 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 08, 2019, 07:01:09 PM
The US constitution has been amended over 25 times, it can be amended again. It took a while to figure out that the prohibition of alcohol was a wrong turn and they were able to change their minds about that. The gun nuts are determined to push guns into the hands of terrorists and the mentally ill. If they keep it up for much longer then repealing 2A will become a lot easier. It would help if the Democrats would stop parroting the "I respect the second amendment" bullsh1t. It's ink on a page, poorly worded at that, and has not earned any respect.

Hypothetically that is correct, but who will sign up to confiscate the 300,000,000 guns that are in the hands of the general population. Will a change in the constitution take one single solitary gun out of the hands of a criminal?

So if doesn't work in the USA why does it work in every other western nation? Explain that to me.

whitey

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 09, 2019, 10:35:53 AM

Where did I say I you couldnt ban assault weapons - I didn't say you said that - I pointed out that you said banning them wouldn't bring down the statistics. You could ban every automatic weapon in the country and the overall "gun death rate" per 100,000 would probably decrease by a rounding error because the vast majority of deaths are via handguns. You should try reading yourself. Especially the report I linked to where it makes very clear that it makes a real, measurable difference to get rid of assault weapons, not a rounding error.

If you glommed the crime statistics of Blanchardstown/Tallaght together with those of Foxrock and came up with an average, Im sure it would make for very scary reading for the residents of Foxrock.
That's not how national statistics work. Which is what we are talking about. But you know how spoofing works, very well. Because you live in Foxrock and you don't give a fcuk about anyone else.

If you think the second amendment will be repealed, good for you. Im sure it makes you feel better

I didn't say that it would, I merely pointed out that it could be, hence the spending of the NRA and gun lobby. But why stop spoofing now? What makes me feel better is knowing that I'm not like you.

The tone in here actually goes a long way towards explaining how Trump got elected (and very well may get re-elected). And I didn't even vote for him-I voted for Jill stein-lol

Got news for you though, over here there's just as many of me as there are of you. People who work hard, obey the law, pay our taxes, contribute to our communities and raise our families. Yes, I have  sympathy and empathy for those less well off than myself, but I can't solve the worlds problems and  like the ongoing traveler feud, some people are just beyond redemptiin

Empathy? You're the guy who compared the victims of automatic rifles to a rounding error.

I did no such thing, but believe what you want.

Facts are an awkward thing when you are ill informed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5763109de4b015db1bc8c123/amp

"But as momentum builds for a new assault weapons ban, data shows just how small of an effect such legislation would have on the overall levels of gun violence in the U.S."

trailer

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2019, 11:49:36 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5763109de4b015db1bc8c123/amp

"But as momentum builds for a new assault weapons ban, data shows just how small of an effect such legislation would have on the overall levels of gun violence in the U.S."

"Those deaths account for about 2 percent of the 6,153 gun deaths and less than 1 percent of the 12,560 gun injuries the Gun Violence Archive has counted so far this year. "
So 61 deaths in 2016. 61 people who would be alive if these automatic guns were outlawed. Will it solve the entire problem? No. Is it a start? Yes.

Facts are awkward when you're ill informed.

whitey

Untrue-how do you know the person who shot them wouldn't have just used a handgun if he didn't have access to an assault weapon?

trailer

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2019, 12:42:29 PM
Untrue-how do you know the person who shot them wouldn't have just used a handgun if he didn't have access to an assault weapon?

Sure here with that reasoning everyone should be allowed to posses tanks, mortar bombs, nuclear bombs. Why regulate anything?

whitey

Quote from: trailer on August 09, 2019, 01:05:51 PM

Sure here with that reasoning everyone should be allowed to posses tanks, mortar bombs, nuclear bombs. Why regulate anything?

A madman with hate in his heart will find a way. Just look at what happened in France when the truck mowed down hundreds of people

trailer

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2019, 01:58:00 PM

A madman with hate in his heart will find a way. Just look at what happened in France when the truck mowed down hundreds of people

Yes and we should facilitate it and make it as easy as possible for people to commit these atrocities. Can everyone write to there local authority and ask them to remove the bollards around busy pedestrian areas as it pointless trying to protect people from madmen. They are a waste of tax payers money.

tonto1888

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2019, 11:49:36 AM

Ill informed? I am going by your exact words

whitey

No you're not. I never said it-you're playing a game of connect the dots with imaginary made up dots

I

whitey

Quote from: trailer on August 09, 2019, 02:11:11 PM

Yes and we should facilitate it and make it as easy as possible for people to commit these atrocities. Can everyone write to there local authority and ask them to remove the bollards around busy pedestrian areas as it pointless trying to protect people from madmen. They are a waste of tax payers money.

Good deflection, but essentially what you are proposing is that we ban trucks based on what happened

trailer

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2019, 02:47:28 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 09, 2019, 02:11:11 PM

Good deflection, but essentially what you are proposing is that we ban trucks based on what happened

No but you can only drive a truck if you have passed a test and have correct insurances. You're advocating anyone should be allowed to drive at any age because we can't stop a few breaking the law. Crazy.
You don't want any laws or anything regulated. It's the stance of a person who's mentally unwell or has a serious lack of intelligence.

whitey

I'm all for gun regulation and extremely tight regulation at that. I'm in favor of a gun buyback program. I'm in favor of people needing to take out extra homeowners insurance. I'm in favor of taking away guns from domestic abusers, substance abusers and anyone with a criminal record. I'm in favor of upping the age at which people can buy guns. I'm in favor of banning high capacity magazines. I'm in favor abolishing open carry laws. I'm in favor of restricting the storage and use of assault weapons to secure shooting ranges. I'm in favor of background checks that include a trip to the proctologist

What I'm not of favor of is an overblown knee jerk reaction to ban assault weapons that  provides some great talking points to CNN but will prevent less than 1% of gun deaths