NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Delighted for the in-laws, can't imagine what they'd be like if they won the big one.

Horan was right, Mayo should have won that game by a lot more and kept Kerry in it. Mayo fullback line were excellent, left exposed for so much of the game yet coped brilliantly. Barrett had a great game on Walsh despite the obvious size difference, surprised Kerry didn't bring Walsh out to midfield where they struggled so much like they did against Galway.

You'd wonder what Mayo have been at playing AOS centre half forward the last few years, complete waste of his talents. I'd be very critical of him the last few years and couldn't understood the hype but he's been outstanding the last month and midfield doesn't look like the problem it was a few months ago. AoS hit 2 brilliant balls yesterday which created goal chances. I saw James Carr in a minor league 4 or 5 years ago and he really stood out, if he stays clear of injuries he'll be a top player.

Kerry like Galway conceded 3 very poor goals but they've made a habit of that in recent years and they've not solved that problem this year. The only reason Kerry should be second favourites is because of their soft route through to the super 8's. I just don't see why Dublin, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway, Donegal & Monaghan would fear them.

imtommygunn

What I tend to think with Mayo is they need to be about 20% better than the opposition to win as they don't take enough chances to win. They are at least that better than most - except Dublin.

Some good new players coming through that being said and Moran still being one of the cleverest footballers about who should probably have seen a bit more time.

Barret maybe isn't the quickest but he is a fantastic tackler - I would have him as maybe the best in the game but unfortunately maybe just not quite quick enough to be the complete player.

Kerry again showing limitations and should have been beat by more.

Defensively Mayo looked very good though a wee bit susceptible to O'Brien's pace so could maybe shore that up a bit. The likes of Clifford was well marshalled He did ok but was trying to do too much himself and you can't do that against a defense like Mayo's.

MayoBuck

Great win! Watched back most of the game again and didn't realise at the time how well Aidan played. He was motm by a mile IMO. Diarmuid was poor for the first 51 minutes. Not in the game at all and his man scored 1-1. Had a super last 20 however. Scored 1-2, turned Crowley over when he was bearing down on goal again and then after Clifford cut the gap to 1 point at the end he won the resulting kickout which led to the Treacy goal.

Doherty and Hennelly had a mare with the dead balls. Could have proved costly.

Probably won't be too many changes to that side for championship. Cillian will come in for Coen more than likely and Clarke may get back ahead of Hennelly. Vaughan did okay but I think we'd be better off with Michael Plunkett at centre half back and Keegan/Durcan on the wings. Fionn McDonagh's injury came at the wrong time. He probably won't get back in now.

macdanger2

Jesus, some crowds here in Castlebar to welcome the team home, must be 20-25k at least

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 01, 2019, 06:49:13 PM
Jesus, some crowds here in Castlebar to welcome the team home, must be 20-25k at least

It's a pity the weather is like it is, they're getting drowned on that bus
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Angelo

Mayo were very impressive yesterday and I think they look rejuvenated this year. Aidan O'Shea looks as lean as I've seen him for Mayo and seems to be lasting the pace of the game much better, he hasn't really delivered for Mayo but this is the year.

They will likely pose the biggest threat to Dublin this year with Tyrone next in line.

Kerry look pretty average and were bulled all over the pitch yesterday, they seem to be really lacking in leaders. Mayo destroyed them when the game was in the melting pot.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

moysider

Quote from: MayoBuck on April 01, 2019, 06:20:11 PM
Great win! Watched back most of the game again and didn't realise at the time how well Aidan played. He was motm by a mile IMO. Diarmuid was poor for the first 51 minutes. Not in the game at all and his man scored 1-1. Had a super last 20 however. Scored 1-2, turned Crowley over when he was bearing down on goal again and then after Clifford cut the gap to 1 point at the end he won the resulting kickout which led to the Treacy goal.

Doherty and Hennelly had a mare with the dead balls. Could have proved costly.

Probably won't be too many changes to that side for championship. Cillian will come in for Coen more than likely and Clarke may get back ahead of Hennelly. Vaughan did okay but I think we'd be better off with Michael Plunkett at centre half back and Keegan/Durcan on the wings. Fionn McDonagh's injury came at the wrong time. He probably won't get back in now.

I think the starting championship team is still up in the air a bit. I dunno. maybe the finishing team is more important. Think we need likes Andy and Boiler there for the end game. Thinking of those big games when the subs just were not up to it.
Think we might have more options now. As well as Andy and Boyle, likes of Seamie. Also Treacy can do damage down the stretch.

Hound

Quote from: Angelo on April 01, 2019, 08:31:07 PM
Mayo were very impressive yesterday and I think they look rejuvenated this year. Aidan O'Shea looks as lean as I've seen him for Mayo and seems to be lasting the pace of the game much better, he hasn't really delivered for Mayo but this is the year.

They will likely pose the biggest threat to Dublin this year with Tyrone next in line.

Kerry look pretty average and were bulled all over the pitch yesterday, they seem to be really lacking in leaders. Mayo destroyed them when the game was in the melting pot.
Gas.
Imagine how different the narrative would be had Clifford not missed the sitter at the end! People would be totally writing off Mayo as bottlers! Instead it's Kerry were bullied and have no leaders!

Kerry are a young team, who will learn loads from Sunday's game. Plus David Moran will make a huge difference.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on April 01, 2019, 09:40:52 PM

Gas.
Imagine how different the narrative would be had Clifford not missed the sitter at the end! People would be totally writing off Mayo as bottlers! Instead it's Kerry were bullied and have no leaders!

Kerry are a young team, who will learn loads from Sunday's game. Plus David Moran will make a huge difference.

A lot of planets aligned for Mayo to win a National League title yesterday.

The first and most important reason was Dublin taking a rest during the League this year.

The Second was Mayo going out early in the Championship last year. 

If ever there was an opportunity for to claim springtime Silverware this was the chance.

This Kerry team have been greatly over hyped based on past underage glory.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2019, 10:29:00 PM

Gas.

The first and most important reason was Dublin taking a rest during the League this year.

If ever there was an opportunity for to claim springtime Silverware this was the chance.

All true. To an extent. Hound is correct in that a Clifford goal at the end would have resulted in a different narrative today and different photos. We probably should have won by more, but any win at ht looked unlikely because Kerry's defensive set up was fazing us.
Another other reason we managed to win it, was the contribution of new players that can play at this level. Really play. It is apparent here that Horan is not going with players that Rochford used to call on.

galwayman

Quote from: moysider on April 01, 2019, 11:11:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2019, 10:29:00 PM

Gas.

All true. To an extent. Hound is correct in that a Clifford goal at the end would have resulted in a different narrative today and different photos. We probably should have won by more, but any win at ht looked unlikely because Kerry's defensive set up was fazing us.
Another other reason we managed to win it, was the contribution of new players that can play at this level. Really play. It is apparent here that Horan is not going with players that Rochford used to call on.
Ruane has been hugely impressive - SOS or Parsons will have a job to get back in unless they decide to move AOS again.
On Kerry - I didn't think they were all that impressive when we played them in Tuam.
The amount of hype around Tommy Walsh has been ridiculous also.
They have a lot of good players and you'd imagine will come good eventually but I don't see too much difference between them now and last year in all honesty.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on April 02, 2019, 09:08:58 AM
On Kerry - I didn't think they were all that impressive when we played them in Tuam.
I'd agree with that, I think Kerry are overrated just because they are Kerry, look at the RTE GAA rankings from today with them in second, Tyrone and Mayo should be definitely ahead of them based on what I saw in the league and particularly if you take into account previous championships (as the author seems to be doing when he references 2017 matches to justify Galway in sixth).
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0401/1040003-ranked-and-rated-the-contenders-for-the-super-8s/

macdanger2

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 02, 2019, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: galwayman on April 02, 2019, 09:08:58 AM
I'd agree with that, I think Kerry are overrated just because they are Kerry, look at the RTE GAA rankings from today with them in second, Tyrone and Mayo should be definitely ahead of them based on what I saw in the league and particularly if you take into account previous championships (as the author seems to be doing when he references 2017 matches to justify Galway in sixth).
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0401/1040003-ranked-and-rated-the-contenders-for-the-super-8s/

Tbf, the list is for making the super 8s (making it even more pointless than most of these lists) so kerry and Dublin  are virtually guaranteed a spot. The remaining 6 will have to fight for a place in it

An Fhairche Abu

My reading of it is that he is still ranking within the list of teams who he thinks will make the last eight: "Here, we take [sic] rank the best teams in the country and predict the likely make-up of the Super 8s, when the summer will reach its pointy end."
If it was based on who has an easy route to the Super 8s than Galway have an easier potential route to it than Tyrone who are out in the preliminary round in Ulster and will have to likely beat Donegal (semi) and Monaghan (final) to get there, Galway have one tough game to beat Mayo/Rossies in the Connacht final (apologies to London and Sligo but I can't see Galway losing either of those games).

Maroon Manc

There's a clear team at the top well clear of everyone in Dublin but then there's not a great deal between Galway, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal & Monaghan. Everyone single one of those apart from Monaghan can make legitimate claims for their team going in the right direction and could beat anyone outside of Dublin. Thats probably harsh on Monaghan but without Kearns this summer I think their going to really struggle at midfield.

I don't get the Kerry hype, think they'll do well to make the last 4. They clearly struggle against Dublin & Mayo whilst Galway & Tyrone will be more than confident of beating them. They've got so many issues, more than anyone else and nobody knows who's their first choice fullback, centre half back and midfield are; They won't play a good team until the super 8's either, thats going to hinder them.