All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

A replay would be very interesting. Kilmacud are still a bit flaky. Wattys would be powered by a sense of injustice.

Eire90

smort

If nothing is done it could open the flood gates for future abuse

It's a tricky one

naka

Quote from: Eire90 on January 23, 2023, 12:08:37 PM
Would a replay be at croke park.
only 22k at yeterdays two games so can`t see a replay at croke park

tbrick18

On the game itself, with a bit more composure Glen could/should have had the game won.
Kilmacud had that little bit more calmness about them.

Glen didnt get enough out of Glass and even though Ethan Doherty was excellent, he made a few uncharacteristic mistakes too.
Ryan was excellent for Kilmacud.

As for the extra player on the pitch, to the letter of the law it looks like the fair thing to do would be to offer a replay.
I'd say the chances of the GAA doing that are none.
They'll look at it and say it will be forgot about in a few weeks, whereas if they force a replay then the fixture list will make it near impossible to schedule, it will go down in history as a mess on their part and a headache to boot.

Unfortunately for Glen, I'd imagine the journey is over this year.
However, the main positive would be that they are more than capable of winning an AI and they are a young side. So next year maybe.

Eire90

Quote from: naka on January 23, 2023, 12:14:29 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on January 23, 2023, 12:08:37 PM
Would a replay be at croke park.
only 22k at yeterdays two games so can`t see a replay at croke park

GAA have an obsession with croke  park tho so would not put it pass them.

imtommygunn

I think it's in the rules that a dublin team always has home venue too  ;D

oakleaflad

Quote from: smort on January 23, 2023, 12:11:14 PM

It's a tricky one
Really is a tricky one. At the time I thought there'd be no chance of a replay but the more I think on it I almost think there should be. As you say it sets a bad precedent for teams to potentially abuse. The rules of the game have clearly been broken, if nothing happens what's the point in having them?

Hound

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 23, 2023, 11:38:49 AM
It probably wouldn't be a big issue if it was Na Fianna or Oliver Plunketts. But joining the biggest club in Dublin who were the reigning Leinster champions when he joined, seemed very convenient.
He was talking about his aim was to win Leinster and All Ireland club a few weeks after joining, likely had no intention of joining any other Dublin club

Well the thing is, we turn a blind eye to paying managers, and sports journalists do zero investigation into the matter, so should we not to do the same for players?
Crokes have paid huge sums to Anthony Daly and Ollie Baker to manage their hurlers. Other clubs all over the country pay managers, and not an eyelid batted.

It would be a bit hypocritical to go after Walsh and say nothing about managers. But if you were, the following questions should be asked:

How many clubs did Shane speak to before he decided on Crokes? (He definitely spoke to Boden and I believe he spoke to Na Fianna, which seems odd given it's on the north side)
Who made the approach? (I understand that it was Walsh who approached the clubs)
Why approach more than one club?
Do Crokes arrange for a car for him? (I believe not, as Galway already provide him with a car)
Do Crokes "sponsor" his rent?
Have Crokes brought on a friend of Walsh as a trainer/physio who charges a significant amount per session? If yes, was it part of the deal or pure coincidence?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2023, 12:18:54 PM
I think it's in the rules that a dublin team always has home venue too  ;D

If they just move Croke Park it would saves us all from these stupid posts
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2023, 12:23:37 PM
It probably wouldn't be a big issue if it was Na Fianna or Oliver Plunketts. But joining the biggest club in Dublin who were the reigning Leinster champions when he joined, seemed very convenient.
He was talking about his aim was to win Leinster and All Ireland club a few weeks after joining, likely had no intention of joining any other Dublin club

Well the thing is, we turn a blind eye to paying managers, and sports journalists do zero investigation into the matter, so should we not to do the same for players?
Crokes have paid huge sums to Anthony Daly and Ollie Baker to manage their hurlers. Other clubs all over the country pay managers, and not an eyelid batted.

It would be a bit hypocritical to go after Walsh and say nothing about managers. But if you were, the following questions should be asked:

How many clubs did Shane speak to before he decided on Crokes? (He definitely spoke to Boden and I believe he spoke to Na Fianna, which seems odd given it's on the north side)
Who made the approach? (I understand that it was Walsh who approached the clubs)
Do Crokes arrange for a car for him? (I believe not, as Galway already provide him with a car)
Have Crokes brought on a friend of Walsh as a trainer/physio who charges a significant amount per session? If yes, was it part of the deal or pure coincidence?

Money well spent if that was the case
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 12:05:20 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 23, 2023, 12:00:56 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 23, 2023, 11:52:57 AM
What's laughable about it..He's a fellow Galwegian like you so you're defensive of it, that's grand
Transfers happen all the time, the only difference is the profile of the player. The uproar is purely because of this. As I said earlier, either get Congress to change the rules on transfers and put in place practical and actionable changes into the current system or just accept that it's the way things are.

Of course they are amateur. Should every player just pack it in go where they want in that case and put in a transfer request..
If that's what's best for their life and they have moved counties then of course they can if they want, who are you or I to judge them? Is there some new GAA moral police around club transfers?
I'd add it's the fact that it's Kilmacud he's went to as well. He's went there because he wants to win an All Ireland club and has done that. From what i've heard it wasn't the closest club to him in Dublin, though this is purely from word of mouth.

There's no doubts around why he would go to Crokes ahead of other Dublin teams, but again there is nothing in the rules to stop any of this, there's no parish rule in Dublin, he can play anywhere in the city, closest club doesn't come into it. Would Ballyboden, Cuala or Vincents have turned him away because of where he was living in the city? No chance.
People are more than entitled to say "I don't like that he was able to do this" but it is what it is, club transfers are a fact of life. My essential point is you either change the rules on transfers (6th Sam has at least proposed something that would be possible to implement) or just accept that things like this will happen, players are not owned by clubs and not under contract, they can stop playing in the morning if they want and once it's within the rules and the club allows them to join they can play wherever they like.
Michael Donnellan moved within Galway to Salthill to win a county title and an AI club, this is not the first nor last time it will happen.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 23, 2023, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 12:05:20 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 23, 2023, 12:00:56 PM
What's laughable about it..He's a fellow Galwegian like you so you're defensive of it, that's grand
Transfers happen all the time, the only difference is the profile of the player. The uproar is purely because of this. As I said earlier, either get Congress to change the rules on transfers and put in place practical and actionable changes into the current system or just accept that it's the way things are.

Of course they are amateur. Should every player just pack it in go where they want in that case and put in a transfer request..
If that's what's best for their life and they have moved counties then of course they can if they want, who are you or I to judge them? Is there some new GAA moral police around club transfers?
I'd add it's the fact that it's Kilmacud he's went to as well. He's went there because he wants to win an All Ireland club and has done that. From what i've heard it wasn't the closest club to him in Dublin, though this is purely from word of mouth.

There's no doubts around why he would go to Crokes ahead of other Dublin teams, but again there is nothing in the rules to stop any of this, there's no parish rule in Dublin, he can play anywhere in the city, closest club doesn't come into it. Would Ballyboden, Cuala or Vincents have turned him away because of where he was living in the city? No chance.
People are more than entitled to say "I don't like that he was able to do this" but it is what it is, club transfers are a fact of life. My essential point is you either change the rules on transfers (6th Sam has at least proposed something that would be possible to implement) or just accept that things like this will happen, players are not owned by clubs and not under contract, they can stop playing in the morning if they want and once it's within the rules and the club allows them to join they can play wherever they like.
Michael Donnellan moved within Galway to Salthill to win a county title and an AI club, this is not the first nor last time it will happen.

Still a sore one, nearly 20 years late ffs ;D

Hound

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: smort on January 23, 2023, 12:11:14 PM

It's a tricky one
Really is a tricky one. At the time I thought there'd be no chance of a replay but the more I think on it I almost think there should be. As you say it sets a bad precedent for teams to potentially abuse. The rules of the game have clearly been broken, if nothing happens what's the point in having them?

But this wasn't Crokes abusing any rule. This was the officials making an almighty c**k up.
There should be no question of Crokes offering a replay - it's not as if Glen would likely have scored, there's no moral obligation (like arguably there was for Meath in the Joe Sheridan case).

But the rule book should be followed now.
I'm not sure if that's easy to answer. Someone put an extract up earlier which could be read as signifying a replay is in order. But just from that abstract I'm not sure whether that was just in relation to bringing on too many subs.
If the rule book say this was just a ref's error rather than playing an ineligible player, then there's no remedy for Glen, like any other ref mistake.

yellowcard

Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2023, 12:23:37 PM

Yes there is undoubtedly a lot of hypocrisy involved when it comes to paying managers. There are plenty giving out about Walsh who have no problem if their own club hires the latest merry go round manager looking a few extra quid to top up his income. I would have a major issue with the Walsh transfer but if it is ok for a manager to flit around different clubs then what is the difference for a player.