?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Wildweasel74

Going to ask that myself; saying we spent a fortune  on the place apparently

BackInTheGame

The north v south, city v country debate has been done to death and isn't particularly helpful, but I do personally think that they should have at least some of the games in either Owenbeg or one of the good club pitches. I can see the thinking behind promoting the game in the city but when you look at the crowd that was there for a double header, you just have to wonder if they're banging their heads off a brick wall.

I actually like Celtic Park and I don't mind travelling up there but I'm in the minority among my friends and clubmates, I know that for a fact. And if the attendances are anything to go by, it's not just this area that thinks the same.

I do remember a minor game a few years ago being taken to Celtic Park on, I think, a Tuesday night. Glen v Ballinderry.  That was one of the most pointless exercises I can ever remember. Both teams travelling to the far corner of the county, literally driving past Owenbeg and a load of good club pitches en route. Bit weird.

shawshank

Genuinely shocked to see Patsys name in the Irish News' team of the week. Personally though he contributed nothing bar a block.

Don't think it is north v south debate. It is a Celtic Park V club venue debate. With Sundays school game offering tangible evidence

BackInTheGame

Quote from: shawshank on February 27, 2018, 12:42:10 PM
Genuinely shocked to see Patsys name in the Irish News' team of the week. Personally though he contributed nothing bar a block.

Don't think it is north v south debate. It is a Celtic Park V club venue debate. With Sundays school game offering tangible evidence
Personally thought Padraig Cassidy was the standout player on the Slaughtneil team, if not the best player on the pitch. He's got a serious engine and is the best "footballing" midfielder they've had for years.

Uncle Phil

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 27, 2018, 10:46:10 AM

£12.5m apparently

toby47

I wonder how many of the Slaughtneil contingent will come into the squad for the game on Saturday night

lenny

Quote from: Uncle Phil on February 27, 2018, 02:27:17 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 27, 2018, 10:46:10 AM

£12.5m apparently

I'm not saying don't have any games in celtic park but we have to start bringing a few county games to glen, screen and bellaghy to get the supporters going to the games again. Even allowing for the fact we're in division 3 to only get 570 at a game is pitiful. I guarantee we would have at least 2-3000 at any game in those 3 south derry grounds. Monaghan are taking their games around the county as are Donegal. Why can't we do the same? The longer we leave it the more detached people become from our county team.

DERRYSFINEST

Hearing Mickey Moran took some serious verbal abuse from  Slaughneil supporter(s) after the game. Incredible if true, after what he has done for that club?

Will he stay for another year?  Their management team must have an average age of 70

Derry Optimist

Presuming that all of of Slaughtneil County Senior panellists are back at least for the last two league games against Wexford and Sligo respectively my preferred Derry starting  line out for those two vital fixtures would be:
                                                        Ben McKinless
Kevin Johnston                                Brendan Rogers                     Karl McKaigue
Liam McGoldrick                               Chris McKaigue                       Michael Bateson
                                     Conor McAtamney            Padraig Cassidy
Benny Heron                                    Emmett Bradley                      Enda Lynn
Niall Toner                                        Terence O'Brien                      Shane McGuigan

BackInTheGame

Quote from: DERRYSFINEST on February 27, 2018, 03:43:48 PM
Hearing Mickey Moran took some serious verbal abuse from  Slaughneil supporter(s) after the game. Incredible if true, after what he has done for that club?

Will he stay for another year?  Their management team must have an average age of 70
Think it was a minority of mouthpieces. We all have those.

And no, that's him done now (rumour has it) 

BackInTheGame

Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 27, 2018, 04:16:04 PM
Presuming that all of of Slaughtneil County Senior panellists are back at least for the last two league games against Wexford and Sligo respectively my preferred Derry starting  line out for those two vital fixtures would be:
                                                        Ben McKinless
Kevin Johnston                                Brendan Rogers                     Karl McKaigue
Liam McGoldrick                               Chris McKaigue                       Michael Bateson
                                     Conor McAtamney            Padraig Cassidy
Benny Heron                                    Emmett Bradley                      Enda Lynn
Niall Toner                                        Terence O'Brien                      Shane McGuigan

That is a decent looking side, just not sure if/when the Slaughtneil boys will be back.

theticklemister

Quote from: Josey Wales on February 27, 2018, 10:02:41 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on February 25, 2018, 06:46:53 PM
Quote from: braveheart on February 25, 2018, 05:19:42 PM
3271 hungry,deprived Gaa Football supporters in the south derry club of Bellaghy today for a school Game. 570 in Celtic park last week for a county double header.

Yip. Youse south Derry wans need to have a look st yourself

570 at a double header.  30 per panel including management team * 2.   
Given each player would probably have 6-7 family/friends there to watch them.
60 * 7 = 420

So 150 non related spectators to either of the teams.  Looks to me like Derry City ones wont even go out the front door to support a team.

Its time to stop this 30 year experiment and pull down the white elephant that is Celtic Park.  Its just unfortunate that the County board did not have the foresight to sell Celtic Park to the Derry City Council.  The council could have used it as the new Brandywell and saved them redeveloping the old one.  It would then have had a few thousand of a crowd in it every week.

Maybe Josey they don't have as many friends as you think.

Anyways; I'll always stand up for our county ground being Celtic Park as I am a city slicker and proud of it. When GAA people ask me what club I am from, I reply:

"Steelstown Brian Ogs, Derry City".

(Incidentally, I interviewed Pat Spillane about GAA matters and he asked me

"Where you from?"

I replied

"Derry City"

And remarked

"Jesus Christ")

A lot of gaels who I know and since have passed on, have fought tooth and nail to keep the ground running through the war and when it fell into disrepair, got it redeveloped again. It since has turned out to best the best overall ground in the county. It pains me to see that gaels on this board failing to attend because it is a 30 mile jaunt up the road every second week for 4 weeks of the year, barring championship.

It bugs me that the county board still ignore the city. They should be pulling out every stop to promote Gaelic games in the city by investing in more CDAs, funding you name it.

Not only does the fact that there is only one hurling club in the city look bad on the city, but it reflects bad on the county.

Josey Wales

Quote from: theticklemister on February 27, 2018, 04:52:01 PM
3271 hungry,deprived Gaa Football supporters in the south derry club of Bellaghy today for a school Game. 570 in Celtic park last week for a county double header.

60 * 7 = 420

So 150 non related spectators to either of the teams.  Looks to me like Derry City ones wont even go out the front door to support a team.

Its time to stop this 30 year experiment and pull down the white elephant that is Celtic Park.  Its just unfortunate that the County board did not have the foresight to sell Celtic Park to the Derry City Council.  The council could have used it as the new Brandywell and saved them redeveloping the old one.  It would then have had a few thousand of a crowd in it every week.

Maybe Josey they don't have as many friends as you think.

Anyways; I'll always stand up for our county ground being Celtic Park as I am a city slicker and proud of it. When GAA people ask me what club I am from, I reply:

"Steelstown Brian Ogs, Derry City".

(Incidentally, I interviewed Pat Spillane about GAA matters and he asked me

"Where you from?"

I replied

"Derry City"

And remarked

"Jesus Christ")

A lot of gaels who I know and since have passed on, have fought tooth and nail to keep the ground running through the war and when it fell into disrepair, got it redeveloped again. It since has turned out to best the best overall ground in the county. It pains me to see that gaels on this board failing to attend because it is a 30 mile jaunt up the road every second week for 4 weeks of the year, barring championship.

It bugs me that the county board still ignore the city. They should be pulling out every stop to promote Gaelic games in the city by investing in more CDAs, funding you name it.

Not only does the fact that there is only one hurling club in the city look bad on the city, but it reflects bad on the county.

Every club in the county has them gaels and respect to them all.  It still doesn't give Celtic Park the right to hold every County game when next to no one in the City will go to the games.  Last weeks double header proof of this.

restorepride

60 * 7 = 420

What a load of crap. Wise up.

In hiding

Quote from: DERRYSFINEST on February 27, 2018, 03:43:48 PM

Quote from: In hiding on October 29, 2017, 04:08:03 AM
not wishing to take anything away from an impressive slaughtneil victory but that's twice I've met their supporters. we have lots of crazies in tyrone but nothing to compare to the slaughtneil loonies. is this normal In derry

Not surprising !