Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

The Spy and The Traitor by Ben McIntyre is very good. Cold War true story.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

lurganblue

Billys Boots

Quote from: lurganblue on September 04, 2019, 10:07:12 AM
Quote from: WT4E on September 03, 2019, 10:55:16 PM
What's the best book on irish history?

For a general overview i'd recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Ireland-250-Episodes-Fascinating-ebook/dp/B00BQG7W4Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3JQN1VY6U8EPI&keywords=irish+history+books&qid=1567587925&s=gateway&sprefix=irish+hist%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-5

It hasnt got the depth you may require on certain aspects but very good to dip in and out of.

I read this too, and it's brilliant - points you to go to do further research on snippets that take your interest.  Recommended.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 04, 2019, 01:25:41 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on September 04, 2019, 10:07:12 AM
Quote from: WT4E on September 03, 2019, 10:55:16 PM
What's the best book on irish history?

For a general overview i'd recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Ireland-250-Episodes-Fascinating-ebook/dp/B00BQG7W4Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3JQN1VY6U8EPI&keywords=irish+history+books&qid=1567587925&s=gateway&sprefix=irish+hist%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-5

It hasnt got the depth you may require on certain aspects but very good to dip in and out of.

I read this too, and it's brilliant - points you to go to do further research on snippets that take your interest.  Recommended.

This is also very good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1856357554/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

BennyCake

Just finished reading The Catcher In The Rye.

Jesus, what a load of shite.

bennydorano

Remember reading it myself and thinking 'that it?'  Read the World according to Garp around the same time and loved it.

Tony Baloney

Berlin Noir series worth a read? I think some lads on here talked about them before.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 14, 2020, 12:08:17 AM
Berlin Noir series worth a read? I think some lads on here talked about them before.

Absolutely, you will not be disappointed.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 14, 2020, 02:18:48 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 14, 2020, 12:08:17 AM

Absolutely, you will not be disappointed.

+1, but start at the start, even though they do jump around a bit in time. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Subbie

Quote from: andoireabu on September 04, 2019, 07:10:40 AM
The Spy and The Traitor by Ben McIntyre is very good. Cold War true story.

Good one
I have read a few others by that author , very well researched and enjoyable , Operation Mincemeat was a good read

An Watcher

Just finished Richie Sadlier's book "Recovering". Have to say it is excellent. Probably the best sports book I've read in a long time

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: An Watcher on August 20, 2020, 10:20:18 PM
Just finished Richie Sadlier's book "Recovering". Have to say it is excellent. Probably the best sports book I've read in a long time

Ever read Forever Young?

It's the story of young Strabane lad Adrian Doherty's aborted career with Man United. Probably the best football book I've read. However as he was in my school I might be slightly biased.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

BennyCake

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 21, 2020, 12:37:45 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on August 20, 2020, 10:20:18 PM

Ever read Forever Young?

It's the story of young Strabane lad Adrian Doherty's aborted career with Man United. Probably the best football book I've read. However as he was in my school I might be slightly biased.

Yeah I've read that. Great book. Tragic ending.

lurganblue

Obviously this has been out a few years now but just finished "Sapiens.  A brief history of humankind".

It's a tough read at times but my goodness is it worthwhile.  Fascinating stuff pops up all throughout it.  I found I could only read it in short bursts in order to take in what was being discussed but maybe that is just me.  The author has put some amount of work into this.

Main Street

I listened to audio version of Woody Allen's "Apropos of Nothing" read by Woody himself, who reads it as if it was a script meant to be read by him.
I didn't have any definite opinions about the man himself, the book presents his perspective and the actual evidence, which was educational  from my perspective.

Ironic that he could do a Purple Rose of Cairo with The Front (1976),  a  film  where the actor (Woody)  playing one of the blacklisted screenwriters  now could emerge from the script and walk off screen to where he is being blacklisted in real life.