GPA and AFLPA back International Rules

Started by magickingdom, November 23, 2006, 10:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

the gpa and the afl players association today came out in favour of the ir series. they said that the series has the overwhelming support of both codes players and that the refereeing of the series is an area that needs attention. just looking at the start of the ashes series in cricket it would be an awful shame if the gaa (ie nicky) were to let our own series go down the tube....

ziggysego

Just when the GAA and the GPA were about to become bedfellows, the GPA put a thorn in the GAA's side.
Testing Accessibility

theskull1

Quote from: highking on November 23, 2006, 10:57:32 PM
It would be very easy for the GPA to organise a strike at any moment. It could happen next year.

Let them try it. They probably possess the good sense to know that this would be suicide for themselves from a grass roots perspective. I do think its time for this membership to let itself be known to the general public. I'm sure it is not a clandestine association for nothing. They are a cancer within the GAA (along with a few others I might add) and the sooner they do their business in public the better, but I think we all know that is not going to happen >:(
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

highking

Membership to the GPA is open to all current intercounty players and all former intercounty players, so once your on it, you dont come off unless you wish to come off. So Peter the great is probably still a member, but youll have to ask him that. Rumour has it that membership will be opened to all club players in the coming years.

So skull what county board are you an officer of.

2gdias

there was an article in Melb Sun Thursday with Demetriou suggesting that banning the tackle and suspending players from home & away games are options to be considered in a bid to continue the series..

Article on a different matters tells of the AFL receiving their first payment of the $780 MILION for the next 5 years broadcsting rights.

Turfsmoke

If the Gaelic Prats Association want an AFL link, let them set it up and manage it. They could use their Opel millions to help pay for it, ie weekends in Toulouse, "expenses" and so on. Anybody know of a stadium for hire? Is Sean "I'll Sell Anything" Kelly still in business anywhere?

No doubt there'll be a role in there somewhere for Dessie's mum and PTG and the Smileless One will also be permanently involved.

Meanwhile the remaining 99.999% of us could get on with that thing called the GAA. It might even then become a Gaelic Prat-free zone!

bottlethrower7

Quote from: highking on November 23, 2006, 10:57:32 PM
It would be very easy for the GPA to organise a strike at any moment. It could happen next year.

Let them. Who will it affect? The Cork hurlers and about 4 or 5 football teams? There'll still be plenty of players willing to wear their county's jersey.

Tubberman

Lads, the GPA said they support the continuation of the International Rules - what's the problem???
You don't have to deride EVERY statement the GPA comes out with. The GAA hierarchy are going to recognise them as the official players representatives, so they're here to stay.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

bottlethrower7

They support the continuation of the international rules because it puts them in the headlines every year due to the comparisons between amateur GAA players and their professional opposition. Then with shitehawks like Stynes coming over and mouthing off about the poor old GAA player, it serves their cause, hence they'll back it.

Theres an agenda at play with everything the GPA do. This one is just too bloody obvious.

Hound

Quote from: theskull1 on November 23, 2006, 11:44:44 PM
I do think its time for this membership to let itself be known to the general public. I'm sure it is not a clandestine association for nothing. They are a cancer within the GAA (along with a few others I might add) and the sooner they do their business in public the better, but I think we all know that is not going to happen >:(
Its the like of you who actually created the GPA. And you're too ignorant to figure out how or why

Uladh

Everything with the GPA has to be a conspiracy. It's getting worse than the vatican. bt - do you not think for a second that its possible that the gpa have supported the retention of the series because they have been mandated to do so by their membership?

every time that organisation makes a statement on behalf of their membership, the usual suspects announce carte blanche that it can't be representative of their members, how many pf their members voted and sure they've feck all of the intercounty players on board.

Is it so unrealistic to think that intercounty players support the continuation of a outlet which lets them aspire to representing their country?

It's also worth noting that the relationship with the afl was there from the beginning as the gpa was based on the australian model as the structures and ethos of their game were closest to ireland and the gaa.

mid - i'm not sure you ever think through your views on all things gpa. you see those three letters and the red mist descends! it might be worth remembering that all gpa members are club footballers and their mates represent every corner of the association.. you might also note that louth are one of the biggest represented counties in the gpa and one of the more militant strands.

Uladh

For the record - i don't like the international rules thingy and would scrap it in the morning

theskull1

Quote from: Hound on November 24, 2006, 10:27:09 AM
Its the like of you who actually created the GPA. And you're too ignorant to figure out how or why

Well mabye you would like to enlighten me Hound instead of leaving me hanging. Tell me why I'm to blame?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2006, 10:35:07 AM
bt - do you not think for a second that its possible that the gpa have supported the retention of the series because they have been mandated to do so by their membership?

No, I don't get the impression that anything with the GPA is as a result of a mandate from their members. Dessie and Donal Og say whats-what and you sign up for that.

Give me an example of one single thing that the GPA have ever done as a result of something a member (or section of members) asked for.

magpie seanie

I find the defending of the GPA quite alarming here. Where were you guys when I pointed out in the immediate aftermath of the second test this year (and last year) that the so-called champions of player welfare were so silent about "their members" being physically attacked on the field? The GPA didn't care more about Graham Geraghty ending up in hospital than they crave professionalism. QED. The GPA have consistently lied about this matter. They are ONLY about pay for play and I will vehemently oppose them and it while I am living and breathing.

Why don't we form a GAA officials association and go on strike ourselves? Many of us put in incredible amounts of time and effort for much less reward than even an average county player. The reason why is we love the games. Maybe Desmond and the shop steward should try to remember that.