Cheeky arrogant Dubs at it again

Started by stephenite, May 29, 2007, 04:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

ye have a tradition of being sore losers and whingers - do ye want to keep those too"

hmm! mayo and longford two of the great bastions of GAA -mayo and longford have seen more of halley's comet then of sam maguire in recent years. i'm not going to get drawn into a debate with some of the tulips on this board- the championship must be starting at the weekend when you see stupid threads like this one.

magpie seanie

QuoteA small point in the general argument but the population of Dublin is 1.18 million, not 1.5 million (2006 census).

Oh, sorry. That destroys my argument.  ???

Declan

QuoteF*ck tradition - ye have a tradition of being sore losers and whingers - do ye want to keep those too?

Jaysus it must be close to the Dubs entering the championship fray alright. We've been accused of a lot of things over the years but whingers and sore losers would you get a grip. Costello is Dublin secretary isn't he? Perfectly entitled to ask for this. Sure didn't we gladly travel to Longford last year without a word of complaint ;)   

Sean3

Oh, sorry. That destroys my argument.  ???
[/quote]

Well, perhaps you might like to expand your argument. How many teams would you see in Dublin? How would you divide the county, population, amount of clubs, local authority boundaries etc? Should Cork, for instance, be similarily divided?

Hardy

Quote from: Sean3 on May 29, 2007, 10:44:43 AM
Should Cork, for instance, be similarily divided?

If Dublin is to have an extra team, then to preserve the mathematical symmetry of the number 32, Cork should be abolished. If it's to be two extra teams in Dublin, abolish Cork twice.

Sean3

Billys Boots

Quotemayo and longford two of the great bastions of GAA

I don't know what the Mayo bit is all about, but Longford is a great bastion of GAA alright.  Good man. 

Quotemayo and longford have seen more of halley's comet then of sam maguire in recent years

Is Sam the only GAA competition on earth - Longford have won plenty of other national/provincial titles in the past ten years?  More, per capita, than your wonderful county, I'd be thinking.  Will I keep going?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

fearglasmor

There is plenty of history within Dublin itself of regional boards, North, South, Fingal etc.
There are far more reasoned arguments for at least two Dublin teams than there are against.
Dublin could easily field a second team equallly as average as the current one.

Declan

QuoteThere are far more reasoned arguments for at least two Dublin teams than there are against

There are many counties with natural internal borders as well Tipp (North and South) Galway (East and West) Clare (East and West), Cork (City and County) so why not widen the debate to include those or is it just based on the population size as against the playing population??

I could not support a divided Dublin team and cannot see any reason for it to happen. Someone once made a suggestion of North Dublin play football and South Dublin play hurling or vice versa and concentrate the two boards efforts to promote that idea but can't see that working either.

David McKeown

Heres the thing that has always annoyed me about Dublin games in Croke Park.  The fact that they get the entire of the hill.  I have yet to hear a water tight argument as to why this is so, can Dublin fans just not mix with fans from other counties.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on May 29, 2007, 10:36:21 AM
ye have a tradition of being sore losers and whingers - do ye want to keep those too"

hmm! mayo and longford two of the great bastions of GAA -mayo and longford have seen more of halley's comet then of sam maguire in recent years. i'm not going to get drawn into a debate with some of the tulips on this board- the championship must be starting at the weekend when you see stupid threads like this one.

you have seen a fair bit of hailey's comet yourself  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Kerry Mike

QuoteCork should be abolished. If it's to be two extra teams in Dublin, abolish Cork twice.

That would get my vote too, d'langers.

As for the Jackeens on the Hill, dont you know its written into GAA rules that they have a god given right to pay less for tickets, to stand and hurl abuse at other teams and officials, but the consolation is there is no greater sight in Irish sport than a full hill of Jackeens crying over another defeat. And they have plenty of practise with that over the years.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Gnevin

Quote from: David McKeown on May 29, 2007, 11:24:44 AM
Heres the thing that has always annoyed me about Dublin games in Croke Park.  The fact that they get the entire of the hill.  I have yet to hear a water tight argument as to why this is so, can Dublin fans just not mix with fans from other counties.
Tickets where given to other counties this time but i bet you wont see any of them on the hill
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

Heres the thing that has always annoyed me about Dublin games in Croke Park.  The fact that they get the entire of the hill.  I have yet to hear a water tight argument as to why this is so, can Dublin fans just not mix with fans from other counties."

simple answer to this one the other counties give back their hill allocation in exchange for tickets elsewhere. don't ask me why they do it but that's what most of them do. so that's maybe burst a hole in any water-tight argument .
on the population thing- kilmacud support a population of about 300,000 in south dublin - this has been mentioned to the gaa several times about the lack of clubs in south dublin but they've done nothing about it. vast tracts of areas like tallaght don't play GAA. why is it always dublin that has to be split?- what about cork- kilkenny could be split in two easily for hurling and they'd still probably win the all-ireland. same for kerry but then we'd have listen to micko whingeing then i suppose- he must be the best tax exile in this country after john magnier and mc manus.
It's ironic but hurling seems to be growing in numbers at underage level in dublin while football is going the other way.

Declan

Quotecan Dublin fans just not mix with fans from other counties

What a load of shite. When was the last time you were at a Dublin match in Croker? Plenty of Dubs supporters other than those 10000 or so who inhabit the hill.