USFC Round 1 : An Cabhan V An Dun

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 26, 2007, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Trim Blue is quite right to say that Cavan were the better side overall at Casement in 2001, but Down finished strongly, missed late chances and at the very least would have got the draw if Mickey Linden had not gone off injured with about ten minutes left. By the same token, Down were the better side at Breffni in the 2004 replay by some distance but it was Cavan who finished the stronger and got the breaks and the result.

It's beyond doubt that the records of Down and Cavan at senior level over the last decade are fairly similar, and the Bottom Brick is stretching things by goings back to the early 1990s. Although Down have been promising at under age and colleges level, that form has yet to transfer to the senior team. Bottom Brick may think that Down have won `a few' Ulster club titles over the last 16 years, but sadly we had not managed a single success in that time. Our last provincial winner was Burren in 1988. I think Cavan have never won a senior Ulster club title, and the evidence is that standards within both counties at club level over the last decade are fairly ordinary. Perhaps we will all get a pleasant surprise at Breffni on May 13, so we live in hope. 

The Bottom Brick

Surprised to hear Down haven't won Ulster club since then... My bad

Anyway, since '99 Down have won two All Ireland minor titles and reached an Under 21 All Ireland final.

We haven't even got out out of Ulster in either grade.

In fact, we have only got out of Ulster in Under 21 OR minor grade three times in 33 years!! That's the 1974 minors, the 1988 Under 21's and the 1996 Under 21's. How pathetic is that?

In the same time frame, we've won one Ulster SFC, no Ulster club, no MacRory and no league title of any description! In the qualifier years, we have never even reached a quarter final. This is one of the worst records of any county in Ireland, much worse than Down, Monaghan, and on a par with Fermanagh.

It would be a similar record to Clare or Westmeath footballers to be honest.

In light of all of this, I would contend that we've had a FANTASTIC season so far. Unfortunately, these are the facts.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Mourne Rover

Neither Down nor Cavan have reached a quarter final since the open draw was introduced in 2001, which is a poor record, but Bottom Brick's point about the decline of Cavan football over almost four decades cannot be disputed. It is a county where Gaelic football is by far the dominant sport, and where soccer and rugby, never mind hurling, have a very low profile. With Cavan's tradition at all Ireland level, a single senior Ulster title since 1969 is astonishing. The outbreak of the troubles had a negative impact on all the northern counties, but it is difficult to understand why Cavan have continued to struggle for so long. Perhaps the absence of St Pat's of Cavan town from the MacRory Cup is a factor, and Cavan will definitely have to overhaul their underage structures generally. When Down won the All Ireland minor in 2005, the best team we met in the competition was Cavan. The first game was a draw and we scraped through the replay by a point. We went on to win the AI semi by eight points and the final by ten. Cavan hammered our minors in the preliminary round last year, so there must be some hope out there for them. However, we don't want their revival to start on Sunday week.

5 Sams

Any word on tickets for this match? I assume it will be all ticket.
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

QuoteAny word on tickets for this match? I assume it will be all ticket.

Is it not in Breffni Park? Why on earth would you have tickets for a game of little consequence in a stadium that holds 30000?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: armaghniac on April 27, 2007, 05:52:56 PM
QuoteAny word on tickets for this match? I assume it will be all ticket.

Is it not in Breffni Park? Why on earth would you have tickets for a game of little consequence in a stadium that holds 30000?

little consequence?  ???

armaghniac

Quotelittle consequence

Little consequence to the destination of the Ulster championship, at least according to the bookies and most of the posters on this thread!

Hopefully it will be well attended anyhow, but Breffni is a fine ground now and tickets should not be needed for the attendance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BallyhaiseMan

i can see the winner of Cavan/Down reaching an Ulster Final,Monaghan are overhyped in my opinion,id be more than confident of a full strength Cavan side beating them.,and Derry will most likely be without Paddy Bradley for a semi final if they manage to beat Antrim.
This side of the draw is very open.

mylestheslasher

What position has Coulter been playing in the league and is he likely to go in FF against us. I'd imagine he would be likely to spend some part of the game in that area.

Mourne Rover

There's a pretty lively debate in Down as to Benny's most effective position. He is a natural full forward, and played there for most of the league campaign, but we were seldom able to provide him with a proper supply. Some people think he should be brought out to the half forward line or maybe even midfield. However, if the Cavan full back line is as ordinary as it reportedly looked against Roscommon at Croke Park, perhaps Benny should stay put. It would be good to get some Cavan views on the Breffni defence. Down have struggled at the back for a long time, and things are unlikely to be any different for us this summer.

Homer

If I recall correctly the Cavan defence lined out like so last year:
Padraic Reilly, Micheal Hannon, Keith Fannin, Martin Cahill, Anthony Gaynor, Paul Brady

I'd imagine (well in my opinion too) this would be the starting defence come May 12
Martin Cahill, Micheal Hannon, Keith Fannin, Anthony Forde, Eamon Reilly, Paul Brady

My club mates Anthony Gaynor and Padraic O'Reilly are both absent from the panel this year. Anthony Forde was suspended last year from a league game against Sligo. He has started the last 7 games at full-back but looks set to resume a wing-half back role which suits him better.

It looks like Benny will renewing his battle with Micheal Hannon athis year. Hannon is our best defender IMO, but like last year will struggle at times with Coulter's strength.

What sort of position is Micheal Walsh playing with Down these days. He destroyed us last year in his roaming forward role.

Cloc Mor

It will be interesting what team Carr/Kane put out tomorrow for the opening of he Saval field.  It has to be close as possible to their championship team since this is their last game before Cavan.  Cant see many changes from what they put out during the league but you could see a return for Brendan Grant with Sexton and Murtagh as wing half backs.  Benny at No. 12 might also be an option but then who goes at FF.  Interesting stuff

Mourne Rover

Homer, Walsh is a talented player who has been unfortunate with injuries over the years and studying in London has probably not helped his fitness. He was outstanding against Cavan last summer, but struggled against Donegal in the next game and, probably harshly, was dropped for the open draw disaster against Sligo. Walsh has been in and out of our NFL team this year without making much impact, and would be regarded as about 50-50 to start in Breffni. In his case, confidence is a big factor. If he is on top of his game, he is a real threat to the opposition. He is also capable of completely fading out of matches. Perhaps Cavan are his lucky team.

Pangurban

On current Bennys best position is the subs bench. Having said that i believe we have enough to beat Cavan, if Ross can get their heads right and inject some confidence but its always difficult to break a losing streak. I dont believe players sitting out club games at this stage,playing no competitive football, is very helpful

cavanmaniac

Hannon at full back is the only realistic option we have seeing as Forde isn't working out...although there's no guarantee the management will make this a permanent switch. One way or the other the world and its mother knew Forde wasn't a long-term bet for no.3 which makes it all the more annoying that more options like Hannon weren't tried and 'schooled' there during the league.

The next problem position that will likely be harshly exposed, a la Forde v Roscommon, is Chesty at [centre] back. He's a poor impression of an intercounty no. 6 in my opinion. Doesn't seem very strong or a good physical stopper, not adept at fastening on to breaks, no real pace breaking forward and not an astute foot passer of the ball. Based on the limited action I've seen of him, I will admit. I'd far rather slot Forde in at number 6 and select from our myriad of wing-back options instead of having Chesty in there.