Gaelic Voices for Change - Dec 16th sleep out

Started by magpie seanie, December 05, 2017, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Rossfan on December 18, 2017, 11:33:28 AM
I know I shouldn't even respond to the Tony but we're not talking about the traditional down and out types only when we refer to homeless these days.
Inflated house prices,  ridiculous high private rents, no social or affordable housing being built,........
But all Tony can see is a drug addict who won't use an emergency shelter.

But Rossfan I think a lot of it is to do with addition and a chaotic lifestyle as they call it, I don't think it's just a matter of not having a house. I know Tony didn't exactly phrase it correctly, who knew, but I can see what he is trying to get at with his usual nuance and the subtlety of a brick  .....
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dire Ear

T Fearon

Sorry boys,but I haven't spotted any Solicitors  or Doctors down on their luck,tucked up in sleeping bags in shop doorways.The people I've seen,well it is obvious from their appearance that they have addiction problems.

There is a range of housing benefits up north to help with rents,rate relief,Housing Folds,Shelters etc to help those unable to pay.I assume (because people in the South are far better off in every way economically according to Seafoid) that there are at least equivalent if not superior  benefits paid in the South?

Rossfan

Doesn't matter what benefits or assistance if there aren't enough houses.
Seems only about 10,000 houses a year being built but 35k needed.
Apart from one off houses in rural areas those being built in  economically successful areas are beyond the price of low income and the "Squeezed Middle" so beloved of the Blueshirts.
In normal societies the latter can always afford to buy houses thus leaving lower rents for others and no need for thousands to be living in emergency accomodation .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on December 16, 2017, 09:30:10 PM
I do not understand homelessness.It was never a problem in my young day,yet money was scarce.Addicts were committed to appropriate institutions to receive treatment and often "signed in" by their families,contrary to their own wishes.

It all boils down to living within your means.

There are two reasons for homelessness as I see it,addicts who won't seek help,and people who have proved they cannot manage their finances to keep a roof over their heads.

More houses for people who are incapable of dealing with the responsibilities of household management doesn't seem to be the answer.

This post just highlights the complete lack of understanding and empathy of the situation that people find themselves. Using this mantra, society should be 'every person for themselves' and an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. It's a horrible stereotypical attitude that would not be out of place on the far right wing of the Tory Party.   

Orchard park

Tony homelessness is not exclusively rough sleeping......

That's the kindest response I can make

T Fearon

It is essentially equated with rough sleeping which is presumably why GAA players slept out in Dublin and Belfast City Centres last Saturday night.

Reading through this thread one would think that those of us with rooves over our heads should be considered lucky or blessed as opposed to the reality of having worked hard and made sacrifices to acquire and keep accommodation.

The solution as I said is simple enough,the homeless should be lifted from the streets every night and placed in an institution,the addicted should receive treatment and the relatives of others found on the streets should be informed and encouraged to collect their kith and kin as soon as possible.

magpie seanie

How much longer do we have to put up with this WUM?

Dire Ear

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2017, 03:30:11 PM
How much longer do we have to put up with this WUM?
The people who stand by him should be pitied also

The Gs Man

Quote from: T Fearon on December 18, 2017, 03:13:30 PM
The solution as I said is simple enough,the homeless should be lifted from the streets every night and placed in an institution,the addicted should receive treatment and the relatives of others found on the streets should be informed and encouraged to collect their kith and kin as soon as possible.

Yeah, put them in an institution.  Like one of those institutions where single mothers and their children were put into not so long ago.  That'll work great!
Keep 'er lit

Orchard park

Quote from: T Fearon on December 18, 2017, 03:13:30 PM
It is essentially equated with rough sleeping which is presumably why GAA players slept out in Dublin and Belfast City Centres last Saturday night.

Reading through this thread one would think that those of us with rooves over our heads should be considered lucky or blessed as opposed to the reality of having worked hard and made sacrifices to acquire and keep accommodation.

You obviously don't understand pr and publicity do you

What will you do with the 6 families a day receiving eviction notices and living in hotel rooms as a result ?????

T Fearon

????.

So is free housing the solution,paid for by the rest of us of course?

AZOffaly

Quote from: T Fearon on December 18, 2017, 04:50:54 PM
????.

Tony, do you think families with young kids are homeless because of addiction or 'choice'?

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2017, 08:37:35 AM
Quote from: Syferus on December 16, 2017, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 16, 2017, 02:27:49 PM
Not much interest in the Homeless/Accommodation in the Dáil it appears.
19 of the 158 attended a debate on this very important subject tester day.
2 FG
8 FF - 1 if them the Ceann Comhairle who has to be there. Our Eugene was one of  the 7.
3 SF
1 Lab
3 Loony PBP.
1 leftie Ind
1 Green.
Obviously no votes in it.
Now if it was about asking middle class townies to pay €3 a week towards the cost of public water and sewerage.......

Our homeless numbers are actually quite good so it's not fair to say people don't care, we care far more than most if you're being honest. I'm tired of the need to present societal problems like this as always being a 'crisis', albeit I'm sure many of those involved feel they only way they can get attention is by being as loud and indignant as possible.

This night has already raised 100k, good to see.

You're an ignoramus.

Wouldn't have expected more than nonsense from you.

https://homelessworldcup.org/homelessness-statistics/

Our figures compare favourably with other western countries, nevermind that some countries care so little they don't even track homelessness figures nationally - I'm right. Sorry, but you'll have to get that through your head and grow up a little. Fixating on your personal grudges does a massive disservice to the social issue being discussed.

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on December 18, 2017, 04:50:54 PM
????.

There will always be people who because of their income levels will not be able to afford to buy a home. They are willing to pay rent to the local authority and society should be able to provide adequate levels of social housing. Then there are people who are very willing to buy a house if theycan get some support such as the affordable housing schemes where there is concession on price and restrictions on resale to prevent racketeeering. And then there are people with adequate incomes who will take on mortgages. Unfortunately there are some who because of health, addiction, marriage breakdowns etc who will need total support. A properly ran Republic should be able to provide this
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you