Derry v Cavan

Started by HiMucker, July 15, 2013, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Another home draw.  Cant complain!  If our midfield and defence is like the last day we will win.  It will be a tough game and cavan are a very well conditioned and defensively sound side

tbrick18

Wont be an easy game, but probably the game we would have wanted in that draw.
Also the winner of this plays the loser of Mayo v London.
We couldnt have had a better chance of getting to the quarters if we'd asked. Though I'm sure Cavan will be thinking the same.

J OGorman

Home for the 4 match in a row, what a stroke of luck, but we've had our fair share of road trips down the years and will take it with open arms. Will be a tight tight match. The winner having a tremendous chance of hitting the hallowed turf in the quater-final. Had been hoping for Tyrone at home, but you cant have it all your own way. :-) Looking like a good old festival of football this weekend.

mylestheslasher

We are happy enough with the draw too. Didnt want Armagh again and avoided the big guns of Kildare & Tyrone. After that it would have been nice to be at home. But beware Derry. This Cavan team has no baggage, none of them have lost to Derry before and the young lads dont give a crap about the past and as far as I can see they fear no one. I expect us to give ye a good game and I don't expect much in it. I also think the Div 2 title you have was in a poor enough quality division (when you look at how the other teams in it got on since). I'm also happy  to see plenty of Derry ones on Twitter (including a former player) already talking about being in Croke Park - music to my ears!

rodney trotter

Tough game away in Derry. I was hoping Cavan would have avoided Derry or Tyrone. Should be a good indication of where Cavan are against a big side. Derry have good some good fortune being home again.

Think the last times the sides met in the Qualifiers was in 04 . Derry hammered Cavan after extra time.

J OGorman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 15, 2013, 10:01:28 AM
We are happy enough with the draw too. Didnt want Armagh again and avoided the big guns of Kildare & Tyrone. After that it would have been nice to be at home. But beware Derry. This Cavan team has no baggage, none of them have lost to Derry before and the young lads dont give a crap about the past and as far as I can see they fear no one. I expect us to give ye a good game and I don't expect much in it. I also think the Div 2 title you have was in a poor enough quality division (when you look at how the other teams in it got on since). I'm also happy  to see plenty of Derry ones on Twitter (including a former player) already talking about being in Croke Park - music to my ears!

the importance of this to the outcome of this game cannot be understated ;-) us Derry folk would be a while while confident bunch having been put through the wringer over and over and over again :-)

HiMucker

Going up to Celtic Park minus your water carrier on a hot day will be a big ask.  That suspension could be costly :)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: J OGorman on July 15, 2013, 10:08:39 AM

the importance of this to the outcome of this game cannot be understated ;-) us Derry folk would be a while while confident bunch having been put through the wringer over and over and over again :-)

There is a psychology to sport and if enough people tell you that you got a great draw and should get to the quarter finals it gets very difficult to get that out of lads heads. I'm quite happy to see people like Enda Muldoon saying that. It also gives our lads good motivation.

I remember the last game in Derry well. We should have won in normal time but took a real hammering in the extra time.

tierworker blue

Any word on what time the game is at yet lads? (Trying to figure out sneaking off and back to a stag in Carrick on Shannon for the match!)

cavanmaniac

Derry are obvious hot favourites for this one. They have been mixing it with a better class of opponent than Cavan  so far this season and are much further along in their development than us. I am sure Cavan won't make it easy for them but when the championship started our goal was to win a few games in Ulster and get a game or two in the qualifiers...so we have met most of our goals although the disappointment is to have got bogged down in shitty incestuous Ulster fixtures in the qualifiers when we really needed novelty and fresh experiences for the young team we have.
The history, although none of our players were involved, show that we have no win over Derry since 97 I think so this traditional superiority and ease of dealing with Cavan for 16 years leaves Derry in a very strong position. I think Cavan will be plucky and competitive but with home advantage putting the tin hat on it, it's a bridge too far. Derry should have five to spare in this I reckon. It has still been a good year for Cavan so I think most blues will take a good performance in this one and then build for 2014.

theticklemister

Quote from: HiMucker on July 15, 2013, 10:17:37 AM
Going up to Celtic Park minus your water carrier on a hot day will be a big ask.  That suspension could be costly :)

haha for the size of yer man he got pushed over like a big poof

anglocelt39

Bit of a pity we could not get a non Ulster draw just for the novelty factor. Still we've been more or less top dogs in the province at under 21 level for close on 4 years so it's not as is a lot of our lads will have too much trouble in their minds with a draw against Derry. Would be an awful lot happier if we were playing them in Breffni.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

king of leon

Derry will be happy with a home draw.. I hope the fact they are playing at home and they know they could potentially play London doesn't breed complacency.
Derry have a decent record in the qualifiers, but it must be remembered this is still a relatively inexperienced squad which wouldn't have the greatest underage record (particularly at u21 level). This Cavan team have a great record at this level and wont fear Derry.
If Derry play with the same level of intensity as they did in the 2nd game against Down, they should pull through. They have a decent forward line which is something Cavan haven't really faced yet. This could be the difference.

J OGorman

Quote from: tierworker blue on July 15, 2013, 10:52:23 AM
Any word on what time the game is at yet lads? (Trying to figure out sneaking off and back to a stag in Carrick on Shannon for the match!)

5pm throw in

mylestheslasher

Quote from: king of leon on July 15, 2013, 01:59:46 PM
Derry will be happy with a home draw.. I hope the fact they are playing at home and they know they could potentially play London doesn't breed complacency.
Derry have a decent record in the qualifiers, but it must be remembered this is still a relatively inexperienced squad which wouldn't have the greatest underage record (particularly at u21 level). This Cavan team have a great record at this level and wont fear Derry.
If Derry play with the same level of intensity as they did in the 2nd game against Down, they should pull through. They have a decent forward line which is something Cavan haven't really faced yet. This could be the difference.

Armagh have a decent forward line I would have thought. Monaghan not too bad on paper either.