Started by toby47, March 14, 2019, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on August 31, 2020, 10:34:36 AM
Is Messi a greater player than Suarez?

I really think that is dubious, nevermind to go at legends who played in a different generation that was crammed with world class players.

Yes

thewobbler

Quote from: Angelo on August 31, 2020, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 31, 2020, 10:32:15 AM
I mean like somewhere along the line, when you keep pulling stats out of your arse, you must encounter the 700 goals, 300 assists (not his job apparently), 10 national titles and 4 European titles.

You don't have to conclude that the regularity of his goal scoring and assists making was the central cog in all of those titles. But you'd have to be one seriously fucked up individual to spend days researching against that opinion.

Stats are like mini skirts.

What is very interesting is that he's only done it at Barcelona.

The other tangible comparison we have is Argentina where he has been an abrupt failure.

Hat tricks against Levante, Eibar, Guatemala and Haiti really paint a picture of a bit of a flat track bully.

In isolation perhaps.

Over a career, when only one other player in lifetime memory has had comparable figures for goals and assists, it's no longer about statistics. It's about recognition. And you are on the off-the-charts weirdo for pretending you can't recognise this.

Breathing is overrated. Discuss.

Nanderson

Lets have a look at Pele's stats. 50 of his 77 international goals were scored in friendlies. He never won a Copa America despite Brazil being far and away the best international team in the world let alone in the CONMEBOL. Massively unerachieved with Santos only winning 2 copa libertardores despite them being widely regarded the best and most star studded club team of all time. His goal scoring exploits are wildly overhyped by scoring 470 goals in 412 State league games which would be the same as Barcelona playing in a league of only Catalan teams including amateur teams.

trueblue1234

Everytime there is context added to Messi's stats put forward the goalposts shift from the Messi fanboys.

[/quote]

Context allows for bias so I can understand why you would like to bring that in. Arguing about opinions is generally pointless. But usually when 98% of people would have an opinion one way and the 2% the other then it's generally accepted the majority are more likely to be right than you are to being the one enlighten soul. You can argue against that, in fact I would expect you to. But I think everyone knows your either deluded, uninformed about the topic or sadly just trying to argue for the sake of it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

mouview

Hold on... could it be....  do you think it's possible...??

Angelo =  TONY FEARON ????

quit yo jibbajabba

Get a thread started about clerical abuse thatll bring him out into the open

Billys Boots

Quote from: mouview on August 31, 2020, 04:05:34 PM

Do you know what ....
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Itchy

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 31, 2020, 04:24:00 PM

Do you know what ....

In fairness  Tony followed grass roots soccer,  Dundalk and knew a bit about the sport. Unlike this fella.

JimStynes

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: thewobbler on August 30, 2020, 08:42:03 AM

Some of the highlights of that "golden age" include:

- Germany making the WC final 2006 without a single genuine talent outfield, and utterly nondescript players like Linke, Ramelow, Jeremies, Bose and Schneider all in the first XI.

As the saying goes you're entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Have another look at that final Wobbler.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gawa316

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 02, 2020, 03:19:15 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 30, 2020, 08:42:03 AM

Some of the highlights of that "golden age" include:

- Germany making the WC final 2006 without a single genuine talent outfield, and utterly nondescript players like Linke, Ramelow, Jeremies, Bose and Schneider all in the first XI.

As the saying goes you're entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Have another look at that final Wobbler.

Lahm, Ballack, Schweinsteiger to name a few

imtommygunn

For a WC final they were a reasonably limited team though. From memory Ballack carried them a bit. (Lahm no doubt very good but I think he was full back then - did he not move to centre midfield?) Schweinsteiger also moved to centre mid and was significantly better there.

I would have said football was worse round those eras than it is now. Sure Greece won the Euros in 2000 or whatever year it was round that time.

Anyway the thread's gone mad. They're both fantastic with no one in a long long time having been anywhere near their standard.

thewobbler

Apologies, I should have typed 2002.

For reference this was the Germany team:

Kahn (captain)
Metzelder
Linke
Frings
Hamann
Jeremies
Ramelow
Schneider
Bode
Klose
Neuville

Kahn a class act. Klose a World Cup legend without being a great player. Then it's a bunch of lads who mostly wouldn't the current England squad.

Vintage period for football my arse. Everyone knew that Ireland would never have a better chance of a World Cup run than that year.

Farrandeelin

He's Il Bomber Destro.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.