Paul Newman

Started by Zulu, September 27, 2008, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I've just heard Paul Newman has passed away can anyone confirm this?

J70

Apparently at aged 83 from cancer.

"Still shaking it boss..."

Legend.

Stalin

What we have here........
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Minder

Sometimes nothing is a pretty good hand. . . . . . . They reckon his sauce and vinegar range has brought $200m to good causes
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Shamrock Shore

Orior

For me, his best was as follows:

1) Cool Hand Luke
2) The Sting
3) Torn Curtain
4) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Never really liked anything else he did.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Proper legend and by all accounts a proper gentleman too. With the same woman for over fifty years and coined the phrase "why go out for hamburger when you can have steak at home". He was criminally overlooked in the Academy Awards but they seemed to finally come to their senses and awarded him an Oscar for The Color of Money. Cool Hand Luke is an amazing film and should have brought him an Oscar.

Louth Exile

An absolutely legend, if you didn't admire this man you need to have a chat with yourself!

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is probably my favourite, followed by the Sting and Cool Hand Luke.
Its amazing, even as recently as Road to Predition he was still able to give a great performance.
He even did the voice of Doc Hudson in the Disney Pixar movie Cars.
Colour of Money is a good movie, but it wasn't his best. Very similar to the way that Pacino eventually got his for smell of your one.

RIP
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Declan

A truly great actor and more importandly a great man. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago down in Barretstown

5 Sams

Watched The Sting again last night...excellent movie....Must get my hands on a copy of Cool Hand Luke...Newman will be missed. Seemed like a genuinely good guy.
The Aristocrat Years

Donagh

A very good actor but I wouldn't put him up there with the greats though that's probably not his fault as he was type cast to a certain extent into the saccharine pretty boys roles. Still with superb performances in the likes of Somebody Up There Likes Me, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Cool Hand Luke, Hud, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Fort Apache the Bronx and the Hustler, I think we can forgive the inevitable hyperbole we'll get over the nest few days. 

Minder

In fairness Donagh much of the "hyperbole" has concentrated on his giving of $200m to good causes through his range of sauces, vinegars etc.

red hander

Could do comedy too ... Slap Shot was one of the best ever movies about sport IMO

Canalman

Brilliant in :-

1 Cool Hand Luke (as was George Kennedy imo)
2 Somebody up there likes me. (Only saw in on TV last week)
3 Road to Perdition
4 The Verdict

To be honest I am not too pushed about the rest of his roles including The Sting or Butch Cassidy. Personally much preferred Mc Queen.

From all reports seemed like a sound guy.