The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on September 09, 2018, 01:06:16 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 14, 2018, 04:21:16 PM
Hard to separate but fair f**ks to both players!

Haven't seen it properly but was Serena Williams badly done there getting docked a a game?

Her interview after was very good and her words for Osaka but it seems very harsh.

Not a good US Open for the officials!!

Tennis needs to stamp this shit out. No matter if the official was right or wrong her reaction deserves serious punnishment but nothing will happen. Can you imagine any other sport allowing such a show - its embarrassing. Kyrgios is another one who takes the absolute piss. Need lengthy bans when they start behaving like muppets.

Over the Bar

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 13, 2018, 10:51:25 PM
Is there any chance that these tennis players are not on PEDs?

Like Dublin?

gallsman

Was she f**k badly done. Called the umpire a liar, a thief and threatened his career. Pulled the line about being a mother. Pulled the line about bring a woman. She has form for that sort of thing too.

It was, correctly, her third code violation of the evening. She was warned, then had a point deduction, then had a game docked.

The worst bit of it all was that Osaka was brilliant and we cruising to the win. Serena completely ruined it on her.

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on September 09, 2018, 06:07:35 AM

The worst bit of it all was that Osaka was brilliant and we cruising to the win. Serena completely ruined it on her.
I agree 100% with this, the poor girl had no clue how to react and should have been elated at her performance. Serena was a disgrace.

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on September 09, 2018, 07:07:04 AM

I agree 100% with this, the poor girl had no clue how to react and should have been elated at her performance. Serena was a disgrace.

She was distraught. For a girl who had just won her first grand slam it should have been the greatest moment of her life and Serena, and consequently the crowd, took it from her.

Purely focusing on the tennis, Osaka's play this tournament had been incredible. She bossed Serena the way few been have ever been able to.

omaghjoe

TBF she has had a tough time lately which she has thankfully been very public about.

She is a driven woman and her emotions just got the better of her, she was out of line but I hope people aren't too sore on her.
Unfortunate all around especially for the Osaka girl

Also the original warning that set it all off was bizarre, never ever heard of that rule.

gallsman

You don't know that you can't be coached on court during grand slams? You evidently don't watch any tennis. Moratouglou has acknowledged he was coaching her

She has been through a shit time. Trying to use it to explain or justify her behaviour is embarrassing. She undermines feminist movements by trying to claim she's being persecuted as such in this instance.

Orior

Did anyone watch it on Amazon Prime (I think).

Very annoying that it was not on Sky Sports at least.

Anywhere I can watch it now?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

grounded

Was she f**k badly done. Called the umpire a liar, a thief and threatened his career. Pulled the line about being a mother. Pulled the line about bring a woman. She has form for that sort of thing too.

It was, correctly, her third code violation of the evening. She was warned, then had a point deduction, then had a game docked.

Im inclined to go along with you here. She's a once in a generation player, a great champion and athlete and has been through a rough ordeal but that is no way to behave.
        As said above she essentially threatened that umpire's career(hypothetically consider if a top male tennis player said the same to a female umpire) emotional, angry, feeling hard done by is no excuse.
         Fined and fined heavily i would say would be the height of it although in most other sports a lengthy ban would follow.

manfromdelmonte

American crowds are very partisan.
Delighted for the Japanese girl

Minder

Williams was a disgrace and didn't even catch herself on after it, saying the umpire was "sexist" for docking her a game as he has never docked a man a game for calling him a thief !! Has any male player called him a thief before. As for all the I am fighting for equal rights for women, equal prize money would be closer to it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nrico2006

Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2018, 03:22:52 PM
Williams was a disgrace and didn't even catch herself on after it, saying the umpire was "sexist" for docking her a game as he has never docked a man a game for calling him a thief !! Has any male player called him a thief before. As for all the I am fighting for equal rights for women, equal prize money would be closer to it.

They would have to start playing a few more sets then.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SHEEDY

thought serena was a disgrace, came across as a bully and really sore loser. surprised at a number of tennis commentators comimg out to support her. no one wants to criticise her or get on her wrong side it seems. ruined what should have been osaka's moment.
nil satis nisi optimum

Maiden1

I felt for Osaka.  Serena is her hero and she was crying her eyes out afterwards with all the booing instead of being ecstatic to win.  Serena came across as very spoiled.  The one thing Serena made a mistake with was that the umpire called a code violation against her coach not against her (she might be having words with her coach on this).  I don't think she was even looking at the coach.  Her coach was gesturing for her to move in towards the net (maybe more talking to himself than Serena) but Serena was at the far end of the court not even looking at him.  She said to the umpire she doesn't cheat but the rule is your coach can't give instructions, not whether she saw the instructions.  She then smashed her racked because she was getting wiped.  The umpire was probably being pedantic and might have liked the limelight on the third violation (he could have said you are potentially going to lose a game if you keep talking) but it doesn't set a bad precedent that if you complain excessively (potentially unnerving your opponent) you get a code violation, keep talking and the violations will keep coming.  I've done it myself in fairness playing squash, smashed a racket against the wall when getting my @ss kicked.
There are no proofs, only opinions.