The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on November 08, 2016, 08:26:16 PM
Quote from: stew on November 08, 2016, 12:20:18 PM
Well deserved ranking, in any other era he would have maybe ten slams, he is the best in the world right now, no doubt about it.

Sampras era?

Borg/McEnroe/Connors era?

Physically he'd have beaten that crowd, different styles and conditioning plus fitness... he's done fantastic against some craking players... Novak and Federer are greats.. to be on top of that crowd is some job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2016, 08:34:12 PM
Well deserved ranking, in any other era he would have maybe ten slams, he is the best in the world right now, no doubt about it.

Sampras era?

Physically he'd have beaten that crowd, different styles and conditioning plus fitness... he's done fantastic against some craking players... Novak and Federer are greats.. to be on top of that crowd is some job

Obviously you can't compare but in my opinion Sampras a far better player than Murray ever was or will be, not even close
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on November 08, 2016, 08:55:58 PM

Sampras era?

Obviously you can't compare but in my opinion Sampras a far better player than Murray ever was or will be, not even close

Of course, Pistol Pete was outstanding as was the rest who won all of the Majors, but there is no denying Murray is at the top of the tree, strangley he reminds me of another former number one who looks after him Ivan Lendl
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Sampras era?

Sampras had 12 or 13 Majors in the bag by the time he was the same as Murray is now. Murray a good player but he's not even close to the same league as Sampras, Federer or Nadal.

No wides

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 08, 2016, 09:23:52 PM

Sampras era?

Sampras had 12 or 13 Majors in the bag by the time he was the same as Murray is now. Murray a good player but he's not even close to the same league as Sampras, Federer or Nadal.

Yeah to constantly beat Andy Roddick is some achievement.

BennyHarp

Sampras era?

To be a true great you'd need to be at least competitive on all surfaces. I think I could have beaten Sampras on clay! Murray is competitive in every major, including 3 grand slam finals this year alone.
That was never a square ball!!

Minder

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 08, 2016, 09:44:31 PM

Sampras era?

To be a true great you'd need to be at least competitive on all surfaces. I think I could have beaten Sampras on clay! Murray is competitive in every major, including 3 grand slam finals this year alone.

Ah come on Benny
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Sampras era?

Take a redner there Benny. Sampras isn't a true great with his 14 majors...
;D ;D ;D ;D

BennyHarp

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 08, 2016, 09:58:40 PM

Sampras era?

Take a redner there Benny. Sampras isn't a true great with his 14 majors...
;D ;D ;D ;D

I haven't heard that phrase in a long time.  ;D Anyway, explain his record in the French Open?

Tony Baloney

French Open - according to Wiki one SF. That's a poor record but I'm sure you will admit he's a great. If you ever get a chance to play him on clay let me know and I'll call Paddy Power  ;D. Jim Courier got to the final of all 4 I think at one stage but I wouldn't consider him in the pantheon of greats.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 08, 2016, 10:06:18 PM
French Open - according to Wiki one SF. That's a poor record but I'm sure you will admit he's a great. If you ever get a chance to play him on clay let me know and I'll call Paddy Power  ;D. Jim Courier got to the final of all 4 I think at one stage but I wouldn't consider him in the pantheon of greats.

Feck me I'm sure even you got the sarcasm in my comment about beating him on clay.  ::) He was a bit of a flat track bully at Wimbledon in a poor enough era. That era also probably explains the Jim Courier success story. i know a number of top players struggle on clay but it's odd that such an utterly dominant player of his era was so utterly ineffective on clay. I mean he was barely competitive. I followed your idea of looking on Wiki and even the semi final he did get to in 1996 he was hammered 7-6 6-2 6-0 by Kafelnikov. How does that stack up?

Milltown Row2

I think only a fool would think that Sampras wasn't a great, granted clay wasn't his thing as was Wimbledon wasn't Lendl's thing still a great player and former number one.. Murray has to be congratulated for doing so well from a place not known for producing tennis greats!!

Murray is unfortunately up against Novak a lot and when he doesn't meet him he's got Federer !! Nadal's ship has flown, he would have won a lot more majors had he not been blighted by injures... though I've always a question mark over him relating to enhanced performances!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2016, 10:30:28 PM
I think only a fool would think that Sampras wasn't a great, granted clay wasn't his thing as was Wimbledon wasn't Lendl's thing still a great player and former number one.. Murray has to be congratulated for doing so well from a place not known for producing tennis greats!!

Murray is unfortunately up against Novak a lot and when he doesn't meet him he's got Federer !! Nadal's ship has flown, he would have won a lot more majors had he not been blighted by injures... though I've always a question mark over him relating to enhanced performances!

My point is not that Sampras wasn't a great player, of course he was. I was more replying to a comment that Murray wouldn't be in his league. Murray is a great player in a great era. Slightly behind two or three of the best ever. I think Sampras would most likely be behind those three too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 08, 2016, 10:39:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2016, 10:30:28 PM

My point is not that Sampras wasn't a great player, of course he was. I was more replying to a comment that Murray wouldn't be in his league. Murray is a great player in a great era. Slightly behind two or three of the best ever. I think Sampras would most likely be behind those three too.

I'd agree with that, over all surfaces  ;)

nrico2006

Crazy even comparing Sampras and Murray.  Murray isn't in his league.  I would actually say that the competition at the top at the minute is weaker than it was in the 90's.  Nadal and Federer are finished (and have been for a few years) and its really a shoot out between Djokovic and Murray and more often than not Murray loses out. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'