Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2023, 02:26:27 PM
Tell ya what, I'll watch it back when I get a chance, maybe tonight when she's off with the daughter to watch Barbie ffs! I'll tally the frees/advantages he gave, I'll note ones I'd give that he didn't and see where that takes us..

I'd be a physical enough type ref, so I tend to let things go a bit, didn't realise the Down ones were a bit soft

Easy now with those types of statements  ;)

restorepride

Quote from: guevara on August 02, 2023, 09:57:34 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 02, 2023, 12:26:36 AM
He body checked a man (high too) after the ball was gone, and he could pulled out, how was that not a black card

WW let him at it. He will argue black is white for the sake of sticking up for a fellow Referee. He was on here arguing about decisions then admitted he had not even seen all incidents.

Conveniently left out the Costello strike that was clear as day.

Gough had a bad day with the big decision. McCarthy regardless of the amount of fouls was endangering oppopponents in his manner and style of tackling, with little or o attempt made to play the ball.
Overall, Gough had a good game and did not over-influence the final outcome. When the game was there to be won in the final 8 minutes, Dublin had the composure to do so, Kerry didn't.

whitey

Quote from: restorepride on August 02, 2023, 12:34:21 PM
He body checked a man (high too) after the ball was gone, and he could pulled out, how was that not a black card

WW let him at it. He will argue black is white for the sake of sticking up for a fellow Referee. He was on here arguing about decisions then admitted he had not even seen all incidents.

Gough had a bad day with the big decision. McCarthy regardless of the amount of fouls was endangering oppopponents in his manner and style of tackling, with little or o attempt made to play the ball.
Overall, Gough had a good game and did not over-influence the final outcome. When the game was there to be won in the final 8 minutes, Dublin had the composure to do so, Kerry didn't.

History is written by the victorious

If McCarthy had gotten a (deserved) red card early on and Dublin lost the game by a narrow margin everyone would be singing a different tune

restorepride

Quote from: whitey on August 02, 2023, 12:44:24 PM

If McCarthy had gotten a (deserved) red card early on and Dublin lost the game by a narrow margin everyone would be singing a different tune
If Derry had taken their scores, Kerry wouldn't have been in the final. If Clifford had taken his chances, Kerry would have won the final. There are lots of tunes. Mind you, if Con hadn't hit the bar and a double bounce been called ... if ... if. No point in blaming Gough. Overall he did a good job.

whitey

Quote from: restorepride on August 02, 2023, 12:55:53 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 02, 2023, 12:44:24 PM

If Derry had taken their scores, Kerry wouldn't have been in the final. If Clifford had taken his chances, Kerry would have won the final. There are lots of tunes. Mind you, if Con hadn't hit the bar and a double bounce been called ... if ... if. No point in blaming Gough. Overall he did a good job.

Apples and Oranges.  Those things you reference are what one would normally expect to happens over the ebb and flow of a game and

For ONE player to flat out get away with 2 red card offenses and one black card offense in the same game is down to the referee chickening out of making a big call on a big player on a big day

imtommygunn

Rossfan

Half heard a snippet on RTÉ radio1 about gaelic games, rules etc.
One chap who may have been Pat McEnaney says the 4 step rule is played loosely and doesn't need changing.
So we have Refs who ignore the rules, loosely apply the rules, sometime enforce some rules....
Simplest way to cut out the numbers of fouls is to allow a tackle on the man.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2023, 03:02:57 PM
One chap who may have been Pat McEnaney says the 4 step rule is played loosely and doesn't need changing.
So we have Refs who ignore the rules, loosely apply the rules, sometime enforce some rules....

I'd say Pat is right, been to a few seminars that Pat was speaking at and he's right in saying, loosely. If we were manic about the rules it would make a crap game even more crap to watch.

Again lets get the sofa armchair viewing app, get rid of the ref's and let the public decide, over a certain percentage a loud horn will go for a foul, followed by a decision on whether there is a card on the big screen!

Be no complaints and take up less shit talk on here
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2023, 03:09:12 PM

I'd say Pat is right, been to a few seminars that Pat was speaking at and he's right in saying, loosely. If we were manic about the rules it would make a crap game even more crap to watch.

Again lets get the sofa armchair viewing app, get rid of the ref's and let the public decide, over a certain percentage a loud horn will go for a foul, followed by a decision on whether there is a card on the big screen!

Pat McEneaney was one of the best referees because of how he interpreted the rules ie with a large degree of common sense and he allowed a certain amount of physicality providing there were genuine attempts to play the game honestly. Not ruining the spectacle by blowing at every little technical infringement, those types of referees are the ones that infuriate most.   

The amount of bleating about Goughs performance since Sunday is slightly bemusing. I've no doubt most of it is simply borne out of frustration at not getting the result that some people wanted but it still doesn't really stack up. He refereed the game consistently and even the decision he made to overturn the Clifford free kick I seem to recall he done the same thing in another game earlier this year or certainly in recent times. Both sides would have been well aware of his refereeing style before the match and played on the edge of what they thought was permissible.

The threshold for issuing yellow cards has fallen dramatically over the last 10/15 years and I don't think we can say that the game has become a better spectacle as a result. In fact I'd say the game has become far too sanitised with little physicality allowed and that yellow cards are now sometimes being issued for ordinary personal fouls. I recall a Cork player getting a red card for 2 such fouls earlier in the League against Dublin which seemed to highlight just how little contact was being allowed by some referees. That is a much bigger problem, the lack of physical contact allowed by some officials, although they always do seem to allow more of it in the latter stages of the championship. 

Rossfan

What's your definition of "physical contact"?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: yellowcard on August 02, 2023, 03:27:03 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2023, 03:09:12 PM

Pat McEneaney was one of the best referees because of how he interpreted the rules ie with a large degree of common sense and he allowed a certain amount of physicality providing there were genuine attempts to play the game honestly. Not ruining the spectacle by blowing at every little technical infringement, those types of referees are the ones that infuriate most.   

The amount of bleating about Goughs performance since Sunday is slightly bemusing. I've no doubt most of it is simply borne out of frustration at not getting the result that some people wanted but it still doesn't really stack up. He refereed the game consistently and even the decision he made to overturn the Clifford free kick I seem to recall he done the same thing in another game earlier this year or certainly in recent times. Both sides would have been well aware of his refereeing style before the match and played on the edge of what they thought was permissible.

The threshold for issuing yellow cards has fallen dramatically over the last 10/15 years and I don't think we can say that the game has become a better spectacle as a result. In fact I'd say the game has become far too sanitised with little physicality allowed and that yellow cards are now sometimes being issued for ordinary personal fouls. I recall a Cork player getting a red card for 2 such fouls earlier in the League against Dublin which seemed to highlight just how little contact was being allowed by some referees. That is a much bigger problem, the lack of physical contact allowed by some officials, although they always do seem to allow more of it in the latter stages of the championship.

Head high challenges of any description have really been clamped down on would be the main difference I would say in terms of physicality. I'm not sure that's a bad thing as with concussion etc they need to be.

I would agree with you saying the "bleating about Gough". He had as good a game as any referee could expect to have. He gets chastised for calling his umpire in when if he was damned if he didn't. There's no way that was a free in but they are ones that are bought regularly and it would have impacted the game.

whitey

The bigger teams always seem to get the big (game changing) calls

Look at the Clare/Limerick game this year-clear free for Clare at the end of the game not given

Tadgh Kennelly-first play of the AIF against cork (2009) leveled a guy with a reckless and dangerous challenge. Red all day long not given

What happened on Sunday (imho) is that one player (Dublin captain, shoe in for POTY, going for 9th Celtic Cross) crossed the line THREE times and never got called. It wasn't one decision where he got the benefits of the doubt-it was three

imtommygunn

What were the two reds you talked about? Black I'm not sure on tbh - someone said it but I don't buy it.

whitey

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 02, 2023, 04:37:19 PM
What were the two reds you talked about? Black I'm not sure on tbh - someone said it but I don't buy it.

Head high challenges

Dangerous/reckless play/intentional striking

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on August 02, 2023, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 02, 2023, 04:37:19 PM

Head high challenges

Dangerous/reckless play/intentional striking

O'Shea did same 'high tackle' didn't even get a card for his? was that Kerry biased ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea