Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would ye whist

Would I be right in saying you did a semi and final last year in the same competition MR2? Suppose it helps to have friends in Hannahstown  ;)

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2023, 06:36:30 PM
Most semi final referees don't get finals.. has he done one before? He'll not be too bothered if he has

Dabh

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2023, 05:32:47 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2023, 05:03:54 PM
Does the impact of a foul influence a referee?
I mean if someone is badly injured does it influence the ref to give a card?

When Rogers got a punch into the stomach near the end, would he have got a free if he went down holding his stomach which could convince the ref that he was indeed hit?

Rodgers (if memory serves me right) was going down as the hand was going in, there was the initial view where it look like he took a punch and the other, out of sheer exhaustion fumbled the ball with an attempted pass. Can't remember what Joe's positioning was at the time

watch it again ..
https://twitter.com/i/status/1680617372703391744
12 secs

Rogers had just taken a solo, was turning back, no doubt looking to give a pass, had the ball protected in his chest with both hands when O'Sheas hand came in under the hands and ball and looks to have caught him in the stomach/midriff.  Thats a foul.

& 33 secs will show it from the other side and you can see where Joe was positioned and what he saw.  Could not have been in a better place.

tbrick18

Quote from: Dabh on July 19, 2023, 03:30:29 PM

When Rogers got a punch into the stomach near the end, would he have got a free if he went down holding his stomach which could convince the ref that he was indeed hit?

Rodgers (if memory serves me right) was going down as the hand was going in, there was the initial view where it look like he took a punch and the other, out of sheer exhaustion fumbled the ball with an attempted pass. Can't remember what Joe's positioning was at the time

watch it again ..
12 secs

Rogers had just taken a solo, was turning back, no doubt looking to give a pass, had the ball protected in his chest with both hands when O'Sheas hand came in under the hands and ball and looks to have caught him in the stomach/midriff.  Thats a foul.

& 33 secs will show it from the other side and you can see where Joe was positioned and what he saw.  Could not have been in a better place.

I'm not too sure about that. Looked like a tackle and tired pass to me.
50/50 one I think.

tbrick18

Quote from: Would ye whist on July 19, 2023, 01:25:27 PM
FFS such a bit of yapping about1/2 incidents over an 80+ minute game, if Derry want to be considered big time they need to act it, at present their fans on here and nothing more than yapping babies, ye had more than enough chances to win the game and scored 4 points in 40 mins in the second half, but yeah its Joe's fault #findascapegoat

I dont think anyone has said the reason we lost the game was the ref.
We had enough chances to win the game even with the ref giving away a few scores to Kerry.
He could have, imo, sent off the Kerry keeper. Now that could have been a game changer, but we'll never know.
And as has been well documented in the media and by people on here, he certainly awarded frees incorrectly to Kerry in the 2nd half in particular and those were momentum changes.
Now if he hadn't made those mistakes, it's still only debatable if Derry would have won - but we would have had a better fairer chance at winning.
The reality is there were a number of factors contributing to the Kerry win, 2 of those were Derry missing some scores and the ref making some mistakes.

And for what it's worth, the yellow card on clifford was a mistake AND I dont have any issue with CMK getting a yellow for persistent fouling.
But the Kerry fullback should also have had an early yellow for persistent fouling.

Consistency is what you want from a ref, and he was not consistent, even in comparison to Hurson in the other game.

Cavan19

watch it again ..
12 secs

Jeez lads there are tackles like that every game and no free given may aswell make the game non contact if a referee is going to be scrutinised on decisions like that.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 19, 2023, 03:48:20 PM

watch it again ..
12 secs

Jeez lads there are tackles like that every game and no free given may aswell make the game non contact if a referee is going to be scrutinised on decisions like that.

And compared to the free given to S O' Shea,  when Derry had turned the ball over in defence?

Cavan19

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 19, 2023, 04:15:55 PM

watch it again ..
12 secs

And compared to the free given to S O' Shea,  when Derry had turned the ball over in defence?

Can't comment on that one but the only way to fix what you are getting at is to make the game non-contact.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 20, 2023, 07:59:42 AM

watch it again ..
12 secs

Can't comment on that one but the only way to fix what you are getting at is to make the game non-contact.

You are all over the place here.
Rogers claim should not be a free because the spirit of the game says its s contact sport and rough house play is to be expected?
S O' Shea's free ,  look i wont comment on that one because it would show up my bias.  You are fooling no one.

All any supporter wants in any game is consistent application of the rules within the 70 minutes of that game.

Cavan19

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 20, 2023, 08:15:46 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 20, 2023, 07:59:42 AM

watch it again ..
12 secs

You are all over the place here.
Rogers claim should not be a free because the spirit of the game says its s contact sport and rough house play is to be expected?
S O' Shea's free ,  look i wont comment on that one because it would show up my bias.  You are fooling no one.

All any supporter wants in any game is consistent application of the rules within the 70 minutes of that game.

I'm not trying to fool anyone everyone here is capable of making up their own mind.

The tackle in GAA is not easy to referee because in a split second it is not easy to see where contact has been made and similar tackles can be called different during a game. I had a back and forth with a referee on this very board who was saying you can't tackle using your fist but in his next post he said he wouldn't blow it as a free if contact is made with the ball!

Milltown Row2

And thats the fine line of it.. Plenty tackles (and remember the only legal physical tackle is shoulder to shoulder BTW) in games and if a player catches the ball, because you can tackle the ball, though not rip from possession, if he connects cleanly with the ball via his fist then play on. Contact with a player with a fist is a yellow, if seen
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2023, 10:30:16 AM
And thats the fine line of it.. Plenty tackles (and remember the only legal physical tackle is shoulder to shoulder BTW) in games and if a player catches the ball, because you can tackle the ball, though not rip from possession, if he connects cleanly with the ball via his fist then play on. Contact with a player with a fist is a yellow, if seen

So would that not have applied when the Kerry keeper took mcguigan in the head with his hip mid air?

Rossfan

Goalkeeper had the ball so it wasn't a tackle.
It was either he turned to protect himself in a collision or it was  rough (yellow) or dangerous (red) play.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

You can't tackle the ball with a fist to the ribs, it was a free out simple. I rewatched the game 2 times, Derry left 2:05/6 behind them during the 2nd Half. Few things to note, Derry did not get 2 def frees during the game in a fairly scorable position. 4 of Kerry points were directly due to incorrect calls by the ref (6pt turnaround) The O'brien one is ridiculous, and the Goalkeeper one, I like a example where this happened previous and not a foul. That was a bad call. Derry beat themselves but the Ref kept Kerry in the game too. I hope the nxt time they met, Derry take a over physical approach as they got blown for too easy frees away. The score count for free in scorable position well over balanced in Kerry favour.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 20, 2023, 11:41:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2023, 10:30:16 AM

So would that not have applied when the Kerry keeper took mcguigan in the head with his hip mid air?

Collision and not a tackle in Joe's book by the looks of it, at the very least looking back and given the opportunity to call that again, he may have stopped it for a head injury.. Its been a very split topic, as ones at the club game last night were asking me on it, I probably would have played on if I'm being honest, that's just me.

There is a directive coming from Croke and all counties are getting another in house training session next week, will involve a lot of stuff we have already done no doubt but this is a positive and hopefully reinforce rules and the like
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

was just thinking is there many duel refs in gaa  meaning they ref football and hurling.