The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

I had hopes that GAAGo might encourage/force RTE to up its game.

However given the fact that GAAgo is essentially run by RTE, it's clear that there's little to no chance of this happening.

I think the GAA have given RTE far too much leeway over the years and basically put up with whatever RTE was willing to do. The RTE sports department gets way more out of the GAA that what the GAA get out of RTE. 

Rossfan

The GAA gets how much €s off RTÉ in broadcasting rights?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2024, 11:11:02 AMThe GAA gets how much €s off RTÉ in broadcasting rights?

The figure in last year's annual accounts for media coverage income was €12,845,678.

I couldn't find a breakdown of that figure anywhere so I assume that's the total for all rights for everyone RTE, TG4, BBC, and I presume the likes of GAAGo. I would guess that some money from the likes of Clubber is included in that as well.

Overall revenue for the year was €112 million so all the media rights(not just RTE's contribution was around just 10% of all revenue.

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 23, 2024, 11:09:39 AMI had hopes that GAAGo might encourage/force RTE to up its game.

However given the fact that GAAgo is essentially run by RTE, it's clear that there's little to no chance of this happening.

I think the GAA have given RTE far too much leeway over the years and basically put up with whatever RTE was willing to do. The RTE sports department gets way more out of the GAA that what the GAA get out of RTE. 

Across the board it's a lot of the same people who are hired in to actually run the shows. But I would argue that GAAGo with Grainne, Paddy and Tomás and Des Curran on comms is a better product and they don't fuckin run Gaelic Football into the ground and say it's shite at every opportunity.

RTÉ own the rights to so much sport but now they are skint and can't really staff it properly and do it justice. People were up in arms over Sky, but that was a good show they put on.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 23, 2024, 12:01:31 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on April 23, 2024, 11:09:39 AMI had hopes that GAAGo might encourage/force RTE to up its game.

Across the board it's a lot of the same people who are hired in to actually run the shows. But I would argue that GAAGo with Grainne, Paddy and Tomás and Des Curran on comms is a better product and they don't fuckin run Gaelic Football into the ground and say it's shite at every opportunity.

RTÉ own the rights to so much sport but now they are skint and can't really staff it properly and do it justice. People were up in arms over Sky, but that was a good show they put on.

Precisely.

They are aware their own personal benefits together with that of the whole GAA, lies in positive promotion not negative commentary.
Can you imagine any other presenter of any programme tell their audience that their show is substandard and disappointing.
How long would they keep their job.

NAG1

A magazine style show would give the opportunity to do more promotion of the game.
Get a few back stories around each game and peak the interest in the personalities as much as the product.

But seems to be little or no interest in doing something on the positive side like that.