Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 10, 2016, 10:02:16 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2016, 01:46:07 AM
Quote from: tyssam5 on August 10, 2016, 12:58:10 AM
Quote from: Disillusioned on August 09, 2016, 09:44:18 PM
Oisin McConville hits the nail on the head with his usual accuracy:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/oisin-mcconville/o39isin-mcconville-mayo-give-tyrone-dose-of-own-medicine-with-masterclass-414670.html

Dunno about nail on head, mostly just a load of aul shite. Hardly a 'masterclass', Mayo played well, but Tyrone had plenty of chances to win it, thought their game plan was OK, just far too many wides.

From a Mayo point of view (well some of us - not all will agree), it was a bit of a 'masterclass'. No Mayo team has ever done that before.
I doubt any Tyrone supporter thought they would lose this game. Mayo is not supposed to play like that, and the fact that we did and won is probably the most thing that is annoying Harte and his players. He choose to deflect from that though. I suspect that being beaten by a johnny-come-lately is annoying him, players and some Tyrone supporters here also.
I suspect Harte became very conservative to beat  McGuinesses's Donegal in Ulster. But, hey! Kerry, Dublin and Mayo were well schooled by McGuiness as well! Even Mayo, has eventually copped on, belatedly, and manage to put out a half decent conservative game.
Some reckon Mayo were better a few years ago. I'm not convinced the Horan's  Mayo of 2014 would have beaten Tyrone the last day. Tyrone squeezed us that day in 2014 and we squealed before eventually nailing it. Last Saturday was a much better Tyrone team. Last Saturday was also a much more considered, tactical, and hugely better Mayo performance than 2014.
The reality now though is that Dublin has the best defensive system in place - even with 3 of their best defenders missing.
Yeah, this was the major positive I think; all else is relative but no one can say that Rochford lost the battle of wits and tactical acumen with Harte.
I too think that no Mayo team I've ever seen did that before.
James Horan worked wonders in turning Mayo into one of the top teams in the land but he was clueless when it came to making switches and substitutions.
The 2013 final was there for the taking if anybody on the sideline knew anything about tactics and the need to make changes as the game developed.  The semis of 2014/15 were there for the taking also if only the buckos on the sideline were able to make a stab at reading the game. 
You could go back to the Stone Age and you wouldn't find a Mayo managers that could spot the need to make changes let alone do something about it.
(Well, that's how it seemed to me.)
Rochy earned his corn last Saturday  and I presume Tony McEntee had a part to play in proceedings as well. 10/10 to both.
Roll on the good times!

I don't buy into this "tactical masterclass" craic (not your words I know) - if those late chances had fallen to Harte / Donnelly, would it still have been a tactical masterclass? Or would he have been a useless bollix?

Granted, the switches beforehand were very good but I didn't see anything in-game that was special or game changing. If anything, I thought DOC should have been subbed 20 minutes earlier than he was.

jp2020

FFS, and Harte decides he's staying on! Calling the panel together and planning for next year! At what stage does someone say thanks for your great service but please step aside and let someone in with fresh ideas!

County board are obviously powerless!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Disillusioned

Of all of the many words written in the media especially by those who have played the game at the highest levels, some must ring through for Tyrone.

First of all the attachment to the system at all costs has taken away the individual magic and creativity that previously won games for Tyrone when they had better players across the board but particularly in the forward line such as Canavan and Mulligan.  It has allowed Harte to make the most of his meagre resources, i.e. lack of top class players that would walk onto any side.

The lack of depth in the panel has been exposed on two counts, firstly when the best player you can bring on when a score is needed is McNulty, it is not a good sign, he is a very good club player but not someone who can win a match.  Secondly, the small group of forwards are all the same, there is no difference in O'Neill, McCurry, McAliskey, Bradley, the u21 players introduced this year (Monroe, McGeary, etc).  All relatively small stature, needing the ball placed in their hands and a poor conversion percentage especially when up against good backs and a double sweeper system.

Unless a top class free taker or two of them for each side of the pitch then scoring will remain a challenge when a free from 40 metres in should be a certain score except in inclement circumstances. Scoring percentage will remain too low.  Stop using Morgan, when he starts missing, he continues.  Stop kicking the ball into the goalkeepers arms, surely any forward should have the strength and technique to kick a ball over 45m.

Only Donnelly, Harte and Sludden are players who would walk onto any team.  The Cavanagh's are in their twilight periods and should be used as impact players. Note how O'Shea just swatted Colm aside.  Though Sean would probably walk away unless guaranteed a place in championship football.

The Tyrone conveyor belt is not quite broken but it is now producing the same type of player over and over again.  All coached in the same way and generally bereft of the creativity, imagination and football intelligence that the best of the past possessed and allowed them to be match winners.  Development squads are not working in producing individual genius that is needed for match winners.

Clean up your act at every level, the persecution complex as displayed by managers, some players and supporters is best treated somehow.  There has been too many recorded instances of unacceptable behaviour by Tyrone players that has been at best condoned by managers and at worst developed by some coaches for a reliable reputation to have been developed that affects those who are disciplined, such as Harte, Donnelly, etc. when dealing with other teams and officials.
The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

BennyHarp

Quote from: Disillusioned on August 10, 2016, 08:02:01 PM
Of all of the many words written in the media especially by those who have played the game at the highest levels, some must ring through for Tyrone.

First of all the attachment to the system at all costs has taken away the individual magic and creativity that previously won games for Tyrone when they had better players across the board but particularly in the forward line such as Canavan and Mulligan.  It has allowed Harte to make the most of his meagre resources, i.e. lack of top class players that would walk onto any side.

The lack of depth in the panel has been exposed on two counts, firstly when the best player you can bring on when a score is needed is McNulty, it is not a good sign, he is a very good club player but not someone who can win a match.  Secondly, the small group of forwards are all the same, there is no difference in O'Neill, McCurry, McAliskey, Bradley, the u21 players introduced this year (Monroe, McGeary, etc).  All relatively small stature, needing the ball placed in their hands and a poor conversion percentage especially when up against good backs and a double sweeper system.

Unless a top class free taker or two of them for each side of the pitch then scoring will remain a challenge when a free from 40 metres in should be a certain score except in inclement circumstances. Scoring percentage will remain too low.  Stop using Morgan, when he starts missing, he continues.  Stop kicking the ball into the goalkeepers arms, surely any forward should have the strength and technique to kick a ball over 45m.

Only Donnelly, Harte and Sludden are players who would walk onto any team.  The Cavanagh's are in their twilight periods and should be used as impact players. Note how O'Shea just swatted Colm aside.  Though Sean would probably walk away unless guaranteed a place in championship football.

The Tyrone conveyor belt is not quite broken but it is now producing the same type of player over and over again.  All coached in the same way and generally bereft of the creativity, imagination and football intelligence that the best of the past possessed and allowed them to be match winners.  Development squads are not working in producing individual genius that is needed for match winners.

Clean up your act at every level, the persecution complex as displayed by managers, some players and supporters is best treated somehow.  There has been too many recorded instances of unacceptable behaviour by Tyrone players that has been at best condoned by managers and at worst developed by some coaches for a reliable reputation to have been developed that affects those who are disciplined, such as Harte, Donnelly, etc. when dealing with other teams and officials.

Cheers for the advice. Inspirational stuff.....So in summary, find bigger forwards, get someone who can kick frees, get more players who can kick points and don't kick the ball into the keepers hands. Could you put that in a PowerPoint for us?
That was never a square ball!!

larryin89

There are people who could rock the hell out of this debate and i really wish they would. Animals , scum.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BennyHarp

Quote from: larryin89 on August 10, 2016, 08:42:07 PM
There are people who could rock the hell out of this debate and i really wish they would. Animals , scum.

What's the debate? Do you think your posts are adding to a sensible debate Larry? There's some amount of sanctimonious shite being written on this thread at this stage. People are picking on one comment from Mickey Harte after the game, a few minor incidents during the game and a few posts from people on here to label Tyrone people as whingers, scum, sick in the head, animals, a disgrace to decency and others giving advice about cleaning up their act, people also calling into question Hartes devout Catholicism etc and you think this is a debate?? The vast majority of Tyrone fans have accepted the defeat with grace, wished Mayo well and have moved on to try and figure out why a promising season went belly up. You're some buck to be saying anyone should "rock the hell out" (whatever that means) of the debate!
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

WTF The sorest winner I've come across, truly, grow up FFS (or stay away from the bottle)!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 10, 2016, 09:26:57 PM

WTF The sorest winner I've come across, truly, grow up FFS (or stay away from the bottle)!

......or at least offer it around!
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

No Kerry people here larry - referring to the animals word in the post...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Indeed muppet, mean oul git!  :)

I'm locking this thread, before some buachaillí do themselves a serious injury with nauseating sanctimony overload. You'd swear they'd no semi to be thinking of, but eternally playing the feckin' victim.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...