Doire v Tir Eoghain, Sun 28th May @2pm

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2017, 09:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 26, 2017, 06:10:29 AM
Quote from: redhandefender on May 26, 2017, 12:59:29 AM
I am a mickey fan. i don't care what is going on in training why is the best forward/freetaker in the county not starting ffs.

Joke. This is where you blood lee give him confidence. conall whill go chf mattie will go midfield

Gotta wonder when L Brennan is gonna be blooded at championship. Perhaps he's coming from a train of thought that O'Neill and MCurry were drafted in too quickly on the back of club form and championship football was a jolt to their game and confidence that they've never recovered from. The lads still young granted but we have too see him this year sometime.

Yes, but then you look at Donegal and the likes of Paddy McBrearty who is 23 and got about 6 years championship experience already and they are not afraid to throw their young players in this year. It wouldn't be an issue if we had the forward line of 2003-08 but given the fact we are crying out for a scoring forward, then you'd like to see him given a go at least.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 26, 2017, 06:27:57 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 26, 2017, 06:10:29 AM
Quote from: redhandefender on May 26, 2017, 12:59:29 AM
I am a mickey fan. i don't care what is going on in training why is the best forward/freetaker in the county not starting ffs.

Joke. This is where you blood lee give him confidence. conall whill go chf mattie will go midfield

Gotta wonder when L Brennan is gonna be blooded at championship. Perhaps he's coming from a train of thought that O'Neill and MCurry were drafted in too quickly on the back of club form and championship football was a jolt to their game and confidence that they've never recovered from. The lads still young granted but we have too see him this year sometime.

Yes, but then you look at Donegal and the likes of Paddy McBrearty who is 23 and got about 6 years championship experience already and they are not afraid to throw their young players in this year. It wouldn't be an issue if we had the forward line of 2003-08 but given the fact we are crying out for a scoring forward, then you'd like to see him given a go at least.

Yeah its true, tho McBearty probably didn't have quite as much pressure on him with Murphy and McFadden knockin around. RON & DMC were our great white hopes when they entered the fray which I dont think helped. I fear for the lad with the expectation, tho probably being a culchie would help in that regard  :P.

Redhand Santa

Happy enough with the team though surprised that McCann is starting in the middle. He is a good footballer and was good in the sigerson final so maybe he will finally step up at county level. But a big day for him as he was very poor down in Kerry and has yet to make an impact. Hope Donnelly is left up front for at least part of the game. We've been crying out for a ball winner up there and he could be the man.

I have seen a lot of complaining on social media and now on here about Lee Brennan not starting. Most of it seems to be based on one performance v a weak Strabane team in a club match. I'd be curious how many of you have actually seen Lee Brennan play a few games this year? I was at the u21 games this year and he struggled to make an impact against a crowded defence. He had one very good McKenna cup team against a weak university outfit and was quiet enough against Fermanagh I think it was from memory. He is a good player but has a lot of developing to do yet. An impact sub role could suit him best at this stage. Would be good to throw in when it opens up a bit.

LeoMc

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 26, 2017, 08:07:08 AM
Happy enough with the team though surprised that McCann is starting in the middle. He is a good footballer and was good in the sigerson final so maybe he will finally step up at county level. But a big day for him as he was very poor down in Kerry and has yet to make an impact. Hope Donnelly is left up front for at least part of the game. We've been crying out for a ball winner up there and he could be the man.

I have seen a lot of complaining on social media and now on here about Lee Brennan not starting. Most of it seems to be based on one performance v a weak Strabane team in a club match. I'd be curious how many of you have actually seen Lee Brennan play a few games this year? I was at the u21 games this year and he struggled to make an impact against a crowded defence. He had one very good McKenna cup team against a weak university outfit and was quiet enough against Fermanagh I think it was from memory. He is a good player but has a lot of developing to do yet. An impact sub role could suit him best at this stage. Would be good to throw in when it opens up a bit.
+1
He seems to be another player who gets better the less he plays.
I have seen him for the u-21's and in an ACL game and he struggled to make an impact. Is he worth carrying just to hit free kicks?

Fuzzman

I wonder is Conal McCann there mainly for his free taking & scoring from play ability.
Maybe he's really pushed himself and county training recently and Mickey has rewarded him.
Like Il Bomber said he always seems in slow-mo mode with little urgency unlike his brother Tiernan.

Positions mean very little these days anyway and so I expect we'll see a lot of movement with maybe Sean going to MF as I think he plays a lot better there than he does at FF. I often felt the last year he's not enjoying playing in there being surrounded by lot of defenders.

From the Enda McGinley interview on Newstalk this week I am not surprised to see Mattie back in the FF line as Enda seemed to be saying maybe they just need to work on it a bit more in training as the ball into him at times was terrible in most games. We hardly ever seem to use the diagonal ball that other teams use so well at times.
Re Lee Brennan, I would like to see him play more too but if he's not ready he's not ready and we need to accept that.
I'd say we might see him come on as a sub a bit more this year but it looked like Mickey thought Mulgrew was ahead of him as well.

I hope Meyler does well this year and starts kicking more scores as I often feel he works hard but doesn't shoot enough.
Was surprised McNabb didn't start at CHB but I am a big fan of Rory Brennan and glad to see him back in the team. He brings great pace when we turn the ball over along with Tiernan.

By the way it's amazing we've got 5 set of brothers in the squad. Presume no other county has so many.
McGearys, McCanns, Brennans, Cavanaghs, Donnellys,

Taylor

Lads with all due respect this is the time to try out players.
We have an playing a weaker team in the first round.

We want to be peaking come the end of the Summer.

Under Lights

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 26, 2017, 08:07:08 AM

TBH I would 'carry' him at the moment regardless. I think he is our best prospect for a regular consistent free taker. If he struggled to get into the game from open play it wouldn't bother me as long as every time we get a free he nails it. Think of Dean Rock when he first started out for Dublin- really struggled from open play.

Beantown

would like to have seen McNabb start at 7 adn Harte in at 10.  will be suprised if Mattie stays at FF or thereabouts, He will drift back towards midfield.  McCann is the surprise choice at MF, good club player but hasnt done it at County level at all.  Always seems out of his depth, hope I am proved wrong though.

We should have enugh to win against a Derry team who seem to be really struggling at the minute.  But it will be closer than last year,  the Derry players will have more fire in the belly than they had lst year, which was pitiful.  I expect C McKaigue & Rodgers to be tasked with Donnelly and Sean and Heavron or Lynn on Harte.  Could be a low scoring affair, we are strong enough in defence and poor enough up front.  War of attrition on the cards  :'( it wont be pretty

WT4E

Estimator

Quote from: Beantown on May 26, 2017, 10:40:30 AM
would like to have seen McNabb start at 7 adn Harte in at 10.  will be suprised if Mattie stays at FF or thereabouts, He will drift back towards midfield.  McCann is the surprise choice at MF, good club player but hasnt done it at County level at all.  Always seems out of his depth, hope I am proved wrong though.

We should have enugh to win against a Derry team who seem to be really struggling at the minute.  But it will be closer than last year,  the Derry players will have more fire in the belly than they had lst year, which was pitiful.  I expect C McKaigue & Rodgers to be tasked with Donnelly and Sean and Heavron or Lynn on Harte.  Could be a low scoring affair, we are strong enough in defence and poor enough up front.  War of attrition on the cards  :'( it wont be pretty

I think it'll be a scoreline close to last years.  Derry do not have the runners to cope with the pace and stamina in that Tyrone side.  If Tyrone get a 5minute scoring burst like they did last year, then it'll be no contest.  And if the evidence of the games played in last years C'ship is anything to go by, Derry will get players back in defence, but they will not have a clue what to do when they are there.  The first half against Meath in the qualifiers and the entire game against Tipperary are two prime examples.  Tyrone by double figures.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Under Lights

I would imagine Karl McK to pick up Bradley. Rodgers on Sean. C McK probably in a free role.

nrico2006

Tyrone are slow at bringing in star underage players over the past few years, the opposite seems to happen with the other top counties though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Redhand Santa

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 26, 2017, 11:54:51 AM
Tyrone are slow at bringing in star underage players over the past few years, the opposite seems to happen with the other top counties though.

We have 5 players starting that won the u21 all Ireland 2 years ago so plenty have been brought in from that team and Harte has had no problem giving them a chance.

Hotrocks

I would expect to see Mc Nabb start for Brennen come Sunday. 

oakleaflad

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 25, 2017, 11:42:27 PM
Derry's HF line likely to be Lynn, Lynch and Kielt. Three great players but also very vulnerable to the pace around out middle 8. What's their likely HB line?
That is not likely to be Derry's half forward line