Doire v Tir Eoghain, Sun 28th May @2pm

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2017, 09:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

The team last year was -

M O'Neill, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, T McCann, N Sludden, P Harte (1-00), C Cavanagh, M Donnelly (0-01), C McShane (0-01), M Bradley, R Donnelly (0-01), C McAliskey (0-02, 1f), S Cavanagh (0-01), R O'Neill (2-02, 0-1f).

Subs: D McCurry (0-04, 1f) for Bradley, P McNulty (0-01) for R Donnelly, J Munroe (0-01) for McShane, P Hampsey for McCarron, K McGeary for Sludden, B Tierney for S Cavanagh.

So most of us are expecting quite a lot of changes from that team

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2017, 02:59:16 PM
The team last year was -

M O'Neill, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, T McCann, N Sludden, P Harte (1-00), C Cavanagh, M Donnelly (0-01), C McShane (0-01), M Bradley, R Donnelly (0-01), C McAliskey (0-02, 1f), S Cavanagh (0-01), R O'Neill (2-02, 0-1f).

Subs: D McCurry (0-04, 1f) for Bradley, P McNulty (0-01) for R Donnelly, J Munroe (0-01) for McShane, P Hampsey for McCarron, K McGeary for Sludden, B Tierney for S Cavanagh.

So most of us are expecting quite a lot of changes from that team

Morgan and McNabb missed that game last year with injury while McCarron, McAliskey and R Donnelly will miss out through injury this time around. So relatively speaking and bar a few positional changes it would only see McShane and O'Neill not starting due to form.

bigpackiechestout

Anybody going to have a go at predicting the derry team? I've listed the team from their last league game (v Fermanagh below), as well as the team for the championship game v Tyrone last year. From the team that started v Fermanagh i understand Thomas Mallon and Padraig Cassidy have both since dropped off the panel. From the 21 lads who featured v Tyrone last year, the following 10 won't be available on Sunday. Some turnover.

Mallon,
Johnstone,
McKinless,
Holly,
S Heavron,
McFaul,
McBride,
O'Kane,
Brown,
O'Boyle

Team v Fermanagh in 2017 League:

T Mallon; K McKaigue, B Rogers, C Nevin; N Forester, C McKaigue, D Heavron; C McAtamney, P Cassidy; E Lynn, E McGuckin, C McWilliams; D Tallon, N Loughlin, B Heron

Subs: J Kielt for Tallon (HT), M Lynch for McGuckin (50), R Bell for Heron (50), G O'Neill for Heavron (61)

Team v Tyrone in 2016 Championship

T Mallon, O Duffy, B Rogers, K McKaigue (0-01), K Johnston, C McKaigue, G McKinless, N Holly, D Heavron (0-02), S Heavron, J Kielt (0-05, 4f), C McFaul, N Toner, E McGuckin, M Lynch (0-01).

Subs: D McBride for Duffy, R Bell (0-02, 1f) for McGuckin, C O'Boyle for S Heavron, E Brown (0-01) for Lynch, C McAtamney for Holly, G O'Kane for Johnston

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 25, 2017, 12:04:13 PM
Anybody going to have a go at predicting the derry team? I've listed the team from their last league game (v Fermanagh below), as well as the team for the championship game v Tyrone last year. From the team that started v Fermanagh i understand Thomas Mallon and Padraig Cassidy have both since dropped off the panel. From the 21 lads who featured v Tyrone last year, the following 10 won't be available on Sunday. Some turnover.

Mallon,
Johnstone,
McKinless,
Holly,
S Heavron,
McFaul,
McBride,
O'Kane,
Brown,
O'Boyle

Team v Fermanagh in 2017 League:

T Mallon; K McKaigue, B Rogers, C Nevin; N Forester, C McKaigue, D Heavron; C McAtamney, P Cassidy; E Lynn, E McGuckin, C McWilliams; D Tallon, N Loughlin, B Heron

Subs: J Kielt for Tallon (HT), M Lynch for McGuckin (50), R Bell for Heron (50), G O'Neill for Heavron (61)

Team v Tyrone in 2016 Championship

T Mallon, O Duffy, B Rogers, K McKaigue (0-01), K Johnston, C McKaigue, G McKinless, N Holly, D Heavron (0-02), S Heavron, J Kielt (0-05, 4f), C McFaul, N Toner, E McGuckin, M Lynch (0-01).

Subs: D McBride for Duffy, R Bell (0-02, 1f) for McGuckin, C O’Boyle for S Heavron, E Brown (0-01) for Lynch, C McAtamney for Holly, G O’Kane for Johnston

McFaul is back and is likely to start. Neither Oisin Duffy (left panel?) or Niall Toner (injured) from last year's team are available though (as well as those you have mentioned).

God14

With justin mcmahon injured and mccarron out, id expect derry to stick a fee big men in the edge of the square and thump high ball in.
Cavan made hay last year with that method and almost beat Tyrone. Oboyle in particular could cause problems.
Still think Tyrone win by at least 6

Knock Yer Mucker In

I just cannot see what he se in Mc Nulty, we played Dungannon 3 times the past few years and you wouldn't know if he was on the pitch, poor decision making and nothing I have seen in a Tyrone shirt would change that view.

Fuzzman

FORMER Tyrone forward Owen Mulligan believes Lee Brennan should feature against Derry on Sunday – even though the Trillick forward barely featured during the National League.

Brennan has been on the fringes of the Red Hand squad, but hit the headlines last month when he scored 3-14 in his club's victory over Strabane.

Tyrone have been criticised for not getting enough of a scoring return from their forward players, and come into Sunday's game on the back of three consecutive League defeats.

But, according to Mulligan, Brennan could be the man to help reverse those fortunes at Celtic Park.

"Tyrone don't lack fire power - we've lacked a clinical free taker that can step up and score nine times out of 10, but we might have one in Lee Brennan," said the three time All-Ireland winner in his Paddy Power blog.

"The lad is class. There's massive talk about him and he's racking up scores so he must be brimming with confidence, but he barely got a sniff in the League. Surely he has to feature in some sort of capacity in the Championship? It would be crazy not to give him a run out.

"He's an excellent free-taker, takes them from the ground, and if we'd had him on the pitch against Mayo last year, we'd have probably won.

"There's a reason we lose those games. Lads keep missing scores, so we end up having multiple free-takers in a lot of games, which is never a good thing.

"Brennan needs to be given a chance. He's scoring freely and I always remember Mickey Harte saying that if you're standing out in club games, you have a great chance of starting.

"I just don't get it."

As the days count down to Sunday's cross-Sperrin derby, Mulligan – who is currently based in London – claims Tyrone and Derry are no longer rivals, such has been the Oak Leafers' decline.

He said: "When I started my Tyrone career there were few bigger games than against our neighbours Derry.

"I'm from near the border and went to school in Derry, so whenever the sides met, I'd get involved in plenty of craic with both sets of fans. The rivalry was so intense, but it no longer exists, as the Oak Leafers have fallen so far behind our lads.

"There's a lot of politics in Derry football. You hear about it the whole time with clubs rowing and lads not wanting to play for the county. That's not right and I don't see how a team can compete when they're carrying that kind of baggage.

"Back in my day, the likes of Enda Muldoon, Paddy Bradley and Sean Marty Lockhart would've died for the jersey. You definitely can't say the same about the current crop.

"It was an annihilation last year and Derry looked as though they were about to apologise for being there. Crazy!

"They also looked massively, massively out of shape in that contest compared to our lads who are pure athletes. I can only see one result on Sunday and that's a Tyrone win."

ONeill

Senior appearances with Championship appearances in brackets

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc – 59 (16)
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin – 95 (23)
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin – 62 (17)
4 – Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a'Ghuail – 20 (2)
5 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair – 54 (13)
6 – Rory Brennan – Trí Leac – 26 (8 )
7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin – 116 (37)
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh – 134 (48)
9 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chlochair – 26 (4)
10 – Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn – 17 (3)
11 – Niall Sludden – An Droim Mór – 27 (5)
12 – Conor Meyler – An Omaigh – 22 (5)
13 – Mark Bradley – Coill an Chlochair – 33 (12)
14 – Sean Cavanagh (c) – An Mhaigh – 234 (84)
15 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac – 90 (27)

16 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo – 24 (5)
17 – Lee Brennan – Trí Leac – 12 (0)
18 – Frank Burns – Cabhán a'Chaortainn – 4 (0)
19 – Declan McClure – Cluain Eo – 9 (0)
20 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc – 72 (25)
21 – Hugh Pat McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn – 8 (0)
22 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mór – 55 (19)
23 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn – 38 (8 )
24 – Cathal McShane – Eoghan Ruadh Uí Néill – 27 (8 )
25 – David Mulgrew – Ard Bó – 5 (0)
26 – Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh – 64 (14)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Mickey always throws in a surprise or two. I like Conal McCann but didn't think he was near a start in midfield.
That was never a square ball!!

God14

Mickey opts for pace and mobility... serious speed in the middle 8 bar colm

omagh_gael

Lot to tslking points here:

- Conal has came out of nowhere, didn't see him in anyone's predictions. Had a great game in the sigerson cup final but was quiet enough in our league games that followed. He hits frees for Cappagh, isn't that right? Would he be an option for frees further out the field?

- to be fair to Mickey he's often been lambasted for not giving alternative tactics a fair crack. He clearly wants to see Matty and Sean work up in the FF line. It'll be interesting to see how much time they actually spend in there.

- as mentioned already, there's serious pace in that team. Glad to see Meyler getting a start. Hoping he can get back into the blistering form he showed in 2015.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 25, 2017, 10:04:36 PM
Lot to tslking points here:

- Conal has came out of nowhere, didn't see him in anyone's predictions. Had a great game in the sigerson cup final but was quiet enough in our league games that followed. He hits frees for Cappagh, isn't that right? Would he be an option for frees further out the field?

- to be fair to Mickey he's often been lambasted for not giving alternative tactics a fair crack. He clearly wants to see Matty and Sean work up in the FF line. It'll be interesting to see how much time they actually spend in there.

- as mentioned already, there's serious pace in that team. Glad to see Meyler getting a start. Hoping he can get back into the blistering form he showed in 2015.

That's pretty much it.

McCann a real surprise but we'll se how he goes, he is a classy player but I feel what's been lacking in him so far is some aggression and urgency to his game, very good passer and can take a score though.

Meyler gets the nod over McNabb in the other spot up for grabs, other than that it's as expected.

Donnelly named inside so Mickey seems intent on giving it another shot, thought he has looked lost in there during the league campaign and felt that it should have ran its course but we'll have to wait and see.

Interesting that only McClure is on the bench of all the new players added this summer. No room for Loughran, Cassidy, McCullagh or McHugh.

omagh_gael

Derry's HF line likely to be Lynn, Lynch and Kielt. Three great players but also very vulnerable to the pace around out middle 8. What's their likely HB line?

redhandefender

I am a mickey fan. i don't care what is going on in training why is the best forward/freetaker in the county not starting ffs.

Joke. This is where you blood lee give him confidence. conall whill go chf mattie will go midfield

omaghjoe

Quote from: redhandefender on May 26, 2017, 12:59:29 AM
I am a mickey fan. i don't care what is going on in training why is the best forward/freetaker in the county not starting ffs.

Joke. This is where you blood lee give him confidence. conall whill go chf mattie will go midfield

Gotta wonder when L Brennan is gonna be blooded at championship. Perhaps he's coming from a train of thought that O'Neill and MCurry were drafted in too quickly on the back of club form and championship football was a jolt to their game and confidence that they've never recovered from. The lads still young granted but we have too see him this year sometime.