County Senior Hurling Championship Updates

Started by AZOffaly, October 04, 2016, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think that's probably a good state of affairs for a county team. It means more clubs are performing at a higher level, which means more players are playing well across the county. That can only be healthy for a county side.

Asal Mor

The standard is very even in Galway at the moment. Of the 4 semi-finalists, Aidan Harte was the only player off the county team with a couple of other panellists. The top 10 or 12 teams seem to be much of a muchness and it is a very healthy state of affairs. I don't think Mellowes will get close to Cuala if the conditions are decent.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 04, 2017, 02:42:49 PM
The standard is very even in Galway at the moment. Of the 4 semi-finalists, Aidan Harte was the only player off the county team with a couple of other panellists. The top 10 or 12 teams seem to be much of a muchness and it is a very healthy state of affairs. I don't think Mellowes will get close to Cuala if the conditions are decent.

There's probably about 15 or 16 clubs that have at least one and some have two intercounty standard players but no club has four or five alone like say Portumna would have had in the recent past.

Probably means no Galway club is going to threaten winning a club All-Ireland at the moment but there is a big pile of good clubs in the championship albeit no great club side right now.

manfromdelmonte

Clarinbridge won the club AI with no player on the Galway team
it can be done

imtommygunn

Mark kerins? Alan was on it too? (Not sure if alan was on at that exact time but i thought mark was?)

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 04, 2017, 06:49:20 PM
Mark kerins? Alan was on it too? (Not sure if alan was on at that exact time but i thought mark was?)
I don't think he was playing for them at that time?

Milltown Row2

So the arguement of having a competitive club championship is laid out here, Kilkenny have a decent club championship also while Tipp have one team dominating can't be healthy... Clare's is competitive while Limerick at the minute have a dominate team...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on December 04, 2017, 07:43:35 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 04, 2017, 06:49:20 PM
I don't think he was playing for them at that time?

You are right - retired 2008 according to wiki. They had two decent county standard hurlers though so it wasn't like no househod names on that team. That semi with de la salle was one of the best games i ever saw.

Orchard park

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 04, 2017, 08:02:45 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 04, 2017, 02:49:01 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 03, 2017, 09:46:06 PM

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on December 03, 2017, 07:59:48 PM
Congrats to Liam Mellows and I'm sure there will be pleanty of celebrations around the East side of the city over the coming days and weeks - not a bad early Christmas present for a club whose last final win was back in the early '70s
east side?
saw a lot of flags on the west side too

Flags all over alright but Liam Mellows' base is the eastern suburbs of Renmore and Mervue and into the city centre including Bohermore and Woodquay. Hughes pub in Woodquay is the main Mellows pub in town.
Crowes as well, the Western...

Ollie Crowe wouldn't  agree that wood quay is base. Great to see hurling in thd city  viable again

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 04, 2017, 03:28:03 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on December 04, 2017, 02:42:49 PM

There's probably about 15 or 16 clubs that have at least one and some have two intercounty standard players but no club has four or five alone like say Portumna would have had in the recent past.

Probably means no Galway club is going to threaten winning a club All-Ireland at the moment but there is a big pile of good clubs in the championship albeit no great club side right now.
If that means the county team can win a few more all irelands I would be happy to sacrifice the club all Irelands. Athenry gave us some great days out but they were nothing like the buzz  of this September.

2 football counties that have very dominant clubs are Armagh (Cross) and Down (Kilcoo) and neither county is up to much.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on December 04, 2017, 09:49:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2017, 09:13:49 AM
Yeah nothing wrong with spreading round the titles, how would they fair against the Dublin champions?

Cuala aren't reigning AI champions for nothing and will take some stopping.

Puts a bit of perspective on Slaughtneils game against them last year. Slaughtneil will give Na Piarsaigh their fill of it in February although Na Piarsaigh also being recent previous winners will be hotly tipped.

Is big John Lee playing for Liam Mellows?
One of the many fine hurlers who for whatever reason didn't get going at intercounty level.
Mellows have 8 titles now which puts them third behind Castlegar on 17 and Ardrahan on 11.
Sînce Mellows last win in 1970 a lot of "newbie" clubs have been racking up titles but 8 is still a lot to build up to. You need more than one exceptional team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Ballyragget 0-8 Tooreen 0-2. It took Tooreen 20 mins to score looking like a bridge too far for them so far.

maigheo

probably but Tooreen have strong breeze for 2ind half

From the Bunker