Does Brian Cody have to behave like this?

Started by seafoid, October 01, 2014, 02:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

It always appears very respectful to me, though I confess to knowing very little about rugby and only being an occasional viewer. I played the game once and that was enough for me. On the quality issue, I'll have to bow to your greater experience AZ and retreat in disarray.  :)

I've always had the impression that rugby referees are very assured and correct in their decision making because of the way the players behave towards them. I like the way that only the captain can query something with the ref , and then, only in a respectful way. At least that's how I remember it.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2014, 01:44:47 PM
Rugby should be the role model for all sports with regard to treatment of referees and the quality of refereeing.

There seems to be plenty of dispute as to the "quality" of any particular referee after a big rugby match. Moreover, to my untrained eye, in many passages of play in rugby, there seem to be a number of (possible) infringements committed and its the personal choice of the referee as to which one (if any) he actually calls - hence the importance of "playing the referee."

As for respect, I was interested to learn from an acquaintance who played AIL rugby in its heyday (before the Provinces took over) and continues to turn out for his local team's fifths that, down the food chain, a rugby referee's position is not all that dissimilar to a gaa referee in terms of backchat from players (and, indeed, the odd free-for-all).

When you think about it, the on-field structure of both hurling and football make them very hard to referee. The fact that opposing players "mark" each other rather than space means that a referee has to try and keep an eye on the players as well as simply following the ball. So, when a ball is cleared, he has to keep an eye on the players from where the ball is coming (so there are no afters) and the players on where the ball is going to (no wee pulls on the jersey/belts before the ball arrives) and, presumably, the ball itself (sort of).

A couple of observations on Kilkenny (the greatest team to have played the game).

1.  Kilkenny, by their own admission, revel on "playing on the edge" and attempt to play the referee. If so, they have to accept that, on occasion, they will be pulled up for things - if you play on the edge, occasionally you topple over.

2. With the increase in physicality and contact, the parallels with rugby increase i.e. in any particular passage of play, there might be a number of fouls and you are down then to the referee's discretion rather than the strict application of the rules.

3. It seems to have become a pattern that some Kilkenny great (Eddie Keher, Willie O'Connor, whomever) comes out with some line about "manliness" and/or "letting the game" flow in the run up to a big game. Now why would that happen? Several commentators have observed that hurling is referred very differently as between the start and end of the year.

4. With the passage of time, if anything, it seems as if Kilkenny have become more sensitive to criticism as the All-Irelands mount up. I don't really understand this when one would think the proper response to any criticism is to point to the medal haul.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2014, 02:01:21 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2014, 01:44:47 PM
Rugby should be the role model for all sports with regard to treatment of referees and the quality of refereeing.

Jaysus Asal, I don't know about that. Fair enough about the 'treatment' of referees, they certainly never seem to be running off the pitch with a horde of players and fans running after them, even in Thomond Park, but I've seen over the past 4 or 5 years a lot more 'backchat' to refs. It's still minor compared to soccer, which is the worst, and the GAA but it's creeping in.

As regards the quality of referees, I think that's just like any other sport. Some Good, and quite a few Bad. And if the GAA is bad for 'interpretation', rugby is 100 times worse. There's only a few laws of the game, and essentially everything else is interpretation against those laws. Referees vary hugely with regard to what teams get away with at scrum time and the breakdown especially. Kavanagh talking about Kilkenny playing the ref goes on all the time in Rugby.
Does it continue in the media for rugby , AZ?
One of our kids plays under 12 rugby and has been to a few Leinster camps and there is no bullshit and absolutely no backchat to the ref.

I think Cody is like a man who brings the match onto weekday RTE like a match schemozzle that continues onto the car park  - why is this tolerated? I have to agree with Nag above who said he is a bully- very sad for a man of his undoubted talent that he has that personality trait.

I was very much in awe of the cats on Saturday but I have to say this week on the board has changed my view of them. 
Keher's interventions are similar- why should Kilkenny get away with that? Is it not good enough to win 10 all Irelands ? 

north_antrim_hound

Agree with the last two post, I think that it's important that B Cody, Keher and O connor are made to realise that the hurling General public are not that stupid. No need to bring politics type spin to the table to try and win a tight game. I wouldn't have any particular views on Sheedy but fair play to him for keeping his council after Kerwin  in 09.
Kikenny still the greatest for sure but just a little bit more tarnished on Monday than Saturday night
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

orangeman

KK will be loving the criticism they and Cody are getting now. I'd nearly swear it was all planned. Love them or loathe them, it's 10 out of 15 now, the latest one by a team of over the hill old lads who are a dirty shower.

;)