Good Friday Agreement 20 years old tomorrow

Started by Rossfan, April 09, 2018, 06:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angermanagement

Quote from: Hereiam on April 10, 2018, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 10, 2018, 11:00:01 AM
Quote- We have politicians lining their own coffers and doing nothing for us (Both sides)

We have no GAA stadium at casement park

These are not entirely the fault of the GFA. The GAA in particular is significantly responsible for the c**k up at Casement

I can guarantee you its a policy with the unionists that no new GAA Stadium will be built in Belfast and also that no road will link Derry with the south of Ireland

Complete Bollix. The only people to blame for Casement not been built is the GAA.  If they would've built a stadium to suit the site it would've been built by now.

seafoid

The GFA is only as good as the people who run the system. In that respect it is lke the US Constitution. Which was not designed for Trump. The GFA was not designed for a polarised DUP/SF setup where the DUP obstruct almost everything.
Brexit is a huge threat hanging over NI and the Executive is stuck on the Irish Language Act.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bogball88

I see some board members have been interviewed by the Belfast Telegraph giving their views of the day of the vote. Ryan Feeney formerly of the Ulster Council as well actually

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trailer

Quote from: Hereiam on April 10, 2018, 10:18:06 AM
What has the nationalist side really gained from the GFA
- We are still being dictated to by protestants in our own land
- We have loyalist terror groups acting freely and receiving large sums of money through bullshit community groups
  (can be said for both sides)
- We have politicians lining their own coffers and doing nothing for us (Both sides)
- We have no GAA stadium at the maze
- We have no GAA stadium at casement park
- Windsor park got developed even with a major fcuk up by the contractor which put lives at risk (never has been
  mentioned since)
- We have no Irish language act
- The south gave up it rights on the North
- We have no A5 dual carriageway between Derry & Auchnacloy. 10+ lives have been lost on this stretch of road since
   the GFA was signed
- We have seen very little investment in the west of the province in general
- We are still living a poorer standard of life compared to the rest of the UK and Ireland

The major outcome of the GFA was to get the gun out of politics and it has done that but in doing so it has not brought about the changes that i thought it would but in fact has left this place hanging over a cliff edge and brexit might be the push that will see us go over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7HmhrgTuQ

dec

Quote from: Hereiam on April 10, 2018, 10:18:06 AM- We are still being dictated to by protestants in our own land

It's their own land as well

red hander

Quote from: dec on April 10, 2018, 04:46:19 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on April 10, 2018, 10:18:06 AM- We are still being dictated to by protestants in our own land

Theft will never equate to ownership

dec

Quote from: red hander on April 10, 2018, 05:26:33 PM

And this attitude explains why they will never want a united Ireland.

larryin89

"
We should all be thankful for people like John Hume who's vision made it possible"

I always find it rather odd when people single out Hume  . Do you really believe that he was  one of the major players , what risks did Hume take ? Who did he personally  persuade ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

red hander

Quote from: dec on April 10, 2018, 05:27:49 PM
Quote from: red hander on April 10, 2018, 05:26:33 PM

And this attitude explains why they will never want a united Ireland.

Doesn't matter whether they want it or not, 50+1 they're going to get it. So why don't they sit down with the rest of us and finally treat us as equals, they might be surprised by the outcome

imtommygunn

It doesn't sound like you treat them as equals...

tonto1888

Quote from: Hereiam on April 10, 2018, 10:18:06 AM
What has the nationalist side really gained from the GFA
- We are still being dictated to by protestants in our own land
- We have loyalist terror groups acting freely and receiving large sums of money through bullshit community groups
  (can be said for both sides)
- We have politicians lining their own coffers and doing nothing for us (Both sides)
- We have no GAA stadium at the maze
- We have no GAA stadium at casement park
- Windsor park got developed even with a major fcuk up by the contractor which put lives at risk (never has been
  mentioned since)
- We have no Irish language act
- The south gave up it rights on the North
- We have no A5 dual carriageway between Derry & Auchnacloy. 10+ lives have been lost on this stretch of road since
   the GFA was signed
- We have seen very little investment in the west of the province in general
- We are still living a poorer standard of life compared to the rest of the UK and Ireland

The major outcome of the GFA was to get the gun out of politics and it has done that but in doing so it has not brought about the changes that i thought it would but in fact has left this place hanging over a cliff edge and brexit might be the push that will see us go over.

I was 17 when it was signed. Had it not been signed and things went the au they had for the previous 30 years, I and many more like me, may well be dead or in prison. That's some of what it has given us

imtommygunn

Or some of us would have left the country too.

It has been exploited by politicians, on both sides, to line their own pockets but without it where would we be?

There is an irony to people like that vile woman pengelly complaining about it letting terrorists out when her father was one.

It is hard to know where we go from here mind you. With the current incumbents we go nowhere and need to vote them out but when that happens who knows.

Gmac

Remember being in a pub in New York on the day the agreement was reached and there was a guy from Armagh there who was well on it and was going on about we have peace we have peace and some cockney lad in the bar says to him what u on about mate a piece of arse I'd say he never heard of NI

Eamonnca1

I'd like to have seen more progress on what I call the de-segregation of society. We still have kids growing up separately because of the segregated education system, and any time I bring it up all I get is the usual bullsh*t about how "Catholic schools teach kids to respect people of different faiths." If kids are growing up separately and not coming into contact with or forming meaningful friendships and relationships with "themuns" until they're old enough to reach the workplace then this sense of two distinct communities is going to remain in place. As long as that segregation exists the problem exists.