Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: drillsergeant on October 18, 2019, 12:44:04 PM

Over the past 24 hours I've noticed a swing towards this deal. Most of the 'British' national newspapers covering the story seem to be in favour of this deal, however one of the newspapers I think it was The Times(correct me if am wrong) states 65% of leave and remain voters want there MPS to support this Deal. I did say last night that I could see Boris edging this, I can see most Labour MPS for Leave constituencies backing this because they face being destroyed in a general election. Someone did say how 'Lady' Hermon will vote on this? I actually see her voting for this deal, it's not the worse of deals for the north of Ireland.

I think it will pass comfortably. The broad mass of politicians and people want Brexit put to bed once and for all. This is their chance. Expect a few dozen Labour abstentions.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2019, 12:25:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

We have plenty of terrible politicians no doubt - but to hold up the 26 as being any better is total horse shit.

Then look across the pond.
If Brexit has done anything it has exposed for the world to see, the lack of brains and talent within the British political class.

And then try looking across the other pond...  ;D

Switch on RTE 1. Then switch on Radio Ulster. 10 mins will be enough to convince anyone that ROI is in a different league on all things political. Look at Varadkar and Coveney. They look like statesmen. Then look at Michelle O'Neill and Anderson. They look like and sound like fishwives.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 01:10:17 PM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

We have plenty of terrible politicians no doubt - but to hold up the 26 as being any better is total horse shit.

If Brexit has done anything it has exposed for the world to see, the lack of brains and talent within the British political class.

Switch on RTE 1. Then switch on Radio Ulster. 10 mins will be enough to convince anyone that ROI is in a different league on all things political. Look at Varadkar and Coveney. They look like statesmen. Then look at Michelle O'Neill and Anderson. They look like and sound like fishwives.

You sound like a middle class snob. Sinn Finn leaders have come from the working class, their accents shouldn't lead you to an assumption, in the same way those in politics at the top end of it in Dublin have had their middle class education with their posher accents fool you either.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on October 18, 2019, 01:24:40 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 01:10:17 PM

You sound like a middle class snob. Sinn Finn leaders have come from the working class, their accents shouldn't lead you to an assumption, in the same way those in politics at the top end of it in Dublin have had their middle class education with their posher accents fool you either.

Im as working class as they come mucker, born and bred Derry City council estate man all my life. Its not how they sound, its how they say it. "You can shove yer brexit where the sun don't shine". Come off it mucks, hardly convincing. I am defs not FG supporter but id say be very bad hearted of anyone to criticise the 2 lads in how they have dealt with Brexit.

Itchy

Have you ever met a Healy Rae, Minister Michael Ring? Ever hear of Bertie Ahern? Such a stupid statement. Covney and Varadkar being made look good by the idiots in the Tory party thats all.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on October 18, 2019, 01:38:12 PM

Have you ever met a Healy Rae, Minister Michael Ring? Ever hear of Bertie Ahern? Such a stupid statement. Covney and Varadkar being made look good by the idiots in the Tory party thats all.

We are talking about by and large comparisons ye eejit. Fire away there and give me a good example of NI politician who would compare favourably?

Jesus anyhow Bertie Ahern would outmaneuver most of them in his sleep

BennyCake

Will someone please tell Michelle o'neill to stop talking?! All I hear is blah blah blah United ireland, blah blah blah border poll. She's like the unionists who can't help but mention Norn Iron or the L word in a sentence.

Every time she opens her mouth, that border poll sails further away from the docks.

armaghniac

It isn't a question of accent, but what you say. Pearse Doherty has a good Ulster accent, but he sounds a lot more convincing than Anderson or O'Neill.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on October 18, 2019, 01:49:12 PM
It isn't a question of accent, but what you say. Pearse Doherty has a good Ulster accent, but he sounds a lot more convincing than Anderson or O'Neill.

Thank You. Someone understands

mouview

Odds of it's passing lengthening slightly again. A balancing act in the Tory party between the ERG and Tory rebels; former will come on board if the UK exits the FTA without delay and goes onto WTO (No Deal) rules. The latter are quite rightly afraid of this and are very reluctant to vote through deal. Can't see Grieve, Greening or Guto Bebb supporting BJ. Nor Philip Hammond, if he has any sense. Sammy Wilson being a particular nuisance (eh...to the ERG group) according to sources.

I hope and have a slight feeling that it will narrowly fail.

screenexile

If they collapse everything at the end of 2020 does that mean the NI deal is fucked as well or does that kick in anyway??

bannside

As I see it....vote will fail tomorrow, BJ will send a letter asking for an extension, EU will grant this, meanwhile someone calls for a second referendum on the basis of what is actually contained in the deal. This referendum produces a remain result. All back to square one. Is this sequence realistic??

trileacman

Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2019, 02:16:05 PM
As I see it....vote will fail tomorrow, BJ will send a letter asking for an extension, EU will grant this, meanwhile someone calls for a second referendum on the basis of what is actually contained in the deal. This referendum produces a remain result. All back to square one. Is this sequence realistic??

Pipe dream stuff.

"Someone" calls for an referendum? Who?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

Prese ably, Westminster can pass a law requiring a referendum.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 11:18:23 AM
I don't think this is a good deal. I'm worried about barriers East West. Declarations, tarrifs, trusted trader schemes paperwork etc. I appreciate that it does avoid a hard border which is key but a NI only backstop would be a better solution. This deal I feel isolates NI from GB and the EU. It could be the worst of both worlds.

Not often I agree with you, but I'm broadly of the same attitude.

Its a terrible deal for NI.

A crash out no deal might even be better - as it would get folks backs up over being clearly and obviously hung out by the English and have many unionists (with a small u) seriously looking at a border poll. Whereas with this, its a bit more nefarious and nebulous enough for the DUP to sell the economic basket case as not of their or Westminster's doing - all Dublin's fault etc etc.
i usse an speelchekor