Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bearded One

Gallsman/Bannside - if the game was being played on Sunday at 3pm and had the same outcome, would he have stopped the shoot out or let it go on?
It is what it is. Presumably.

gallsman

I have absolutely no idea. Why are you asking me?

The Bearded One

You mentioned player welfare but I doubt very much at that moment in time that had anything to do with his decision. I suspect is was more a decision based on 'Christ this is no way for either team to lose, it is cruel' so lets wrap it up!
It is what it is. Presumably.

The Gs Man

Ahh lads, great spectacle for the neutral, two (amateur) teams away home happy they're still in the championship, charity benefitting from the replay, Antrim GAA getting great positive exposure up and down the country..... sure what more do ye want?
Keep 'er lit

RadioGAAGAA

Free kicks for deciding this is a load of balls anyway.

So should Dublin & Meath have been decided by frees in '91 at the end of the first replay?

F**k that.

Would have deprived us of one probably the most epic sequences of games ever. That is still talked about near 30 years later.
i usse an speelchekor

gallsman

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 27, 2019, 10:59:42 AM
You mentioned player welfare but I doubt very much at that moment in time that had anything to do with his decision. I suspect is was more a decision based on 'Christ this is no way for either team to lose, it is cruel' so lets wrap it up!

See basically all my previous posts. I think the right decision was made for the wrong reasons.

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2019, 10:08:50 AM
One thing I do disagree with was that all the commentary and reasoning from McCavana was around "that's no way to lose a semi-final" etc. In that instance I agree that rules are rules and they apply equally to everyone, and everyone should (although I acknowledge it's unlikely) have been aware of them in advance.

I'm surprised player welfare hasn't been mentioned at all from the CB as, to me, that's clearly a valid reason for McCavana taking the step he did.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2019, 11:37:11 AM

See basically all my previous posts. I think the right decision was made for the wrong reasons.

One thing I do disagree with was that all the commentary and reasoning from McCavana was around "that's no way to lose a semi-final" etc. In that instance I agree that rules are rules and they apply equally to everyone, and everyone should (although I acknowledge it's unlikely) have been aware of them in advance.

I'm surprised player welfare hasn't been mentioned at all from the CB as, to me, that's clearly a valid reason for McCavana taking the step he did.

Erm, are they not the same thing.

"This is no way to lose a semi-final" == "this'll destroy the player that misses the free"
i usse an speelchekor

bogieman

This is not Irish dancing. -RH

gallsman

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 27, 2019, 11:43:11 AM

"This is no way to lose a semi-final" == "this'll destroy the player that misses the free"

Wtf are you on about

Sportacus

This is a very dangerous precedent.  Imagine for example in a years time you're down the country somewhere with your club playing a minor championship game, and somebody from the county board just unilaterally moves the goalposts on the night - there'll be uproar - but what's to stop them now?Last night might have been seen as exceptional circumstances, but there will be other exceptional circumstances, and where do you draw the line?  The feel good factor from this decision will soon wear off and then we are left with a problem.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2019, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 27, 2019, 11:43:11 AM

Wtf are you on about

Pretty obvious that:

"You mentioned player welfare but I doubt very much at that moment in time that had anything to do with his decision. I suspect is was more a decision based on 'Christ this is no way for either team to lose, it is cruel' so lets wrap it up!"

makes no sense. What else could it mean but player welfare! Whoever had the critical miss in the end would be pretty f**ked in the head.

Cruel? Cruel on who? The players that miss. Hence looking out for them.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Sportacus on September 27, 2019, 12:08:06 PM
This is a very dangerous precedent.  Imagine for example in a years time you're down the country somewhere with your club playing a minor championship game, and somebody from the county board just unilaterally moves the goalposts on the night - there'll be uproar - but what's to stop them now?Last night might have been seen as exceptional circumstances, but there will be other exceptional circumstances, and where do you draw the line?  The feel good factor from this decision will soon wear off and then we are left with a problem.

Someone dropping dead in the stands and having a game abandoned isn't in the rulebook.

Yet you'd not see many complain.

Exceptional circumstances are exceptional for a reason - and in those circumstances folks in charge have to try and make the best decisions they can in the moment. You cannot legislate for everything in the rulebook.
i usse an speelchekor

AntrimRealist

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 27, 2019, 12:13:14 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on September 27, 2019, 12:08:06 PM

Someone dropping dead in the stands and having a game abandoned isn't in the rulebook.

Yet you'd not see many complain.

Exceptional circumstances are exceptional for a reason - and in those circumstances folks in charge have to try and make the best decisions they can in the moment. You cannot legislate for everything in the rulebook.
The difference is that provisions for someone dropping dead isn't in the rule book. Using frees, rightly or wrongly, is. What shouldn't happen is just because it doesn't look like a good spectacle, that those rules can be changed in the middle of a game. As others have said, a precedent has been set

whatwillbwillb

Firstly can I say great game, however our CC took the rule book and fecked it out the window, he made the call on his own last night, common sense yes all day and it was late granted,  however rules are rules and that's why we have them and the CCC/CHC. Its not his call full stop, we can all make the case for common sense, player welfare etc. Has he and his committees this year not punished and fined clubs for managers etc taking teams off the pitch, and those same people claimed welfare, common sense in their defense etc etc . They where fined and banned for long periods of time this year, Aghagallon Minors being a prime example, destroyed their season this year. So again back to my point made in previous posts, this executive does what it wants when it wants! Delargy yellow card incident with referee and his officials, farcical.  Same five players taking the next round of frees? Anyone want to educate me on this one? Is not supposed to be a new set of players taking the next 5? MR2 you've gone quiet there ahead of your final wanna educate me on rule? Not talking about individuals?

Calm Down

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on September 27, 2019, 12:31:44 PM
Firstly can I say great game, however our CC took the rule book and fecked it out the window, he made the call on his own last night, common sense yes all day and it was late granted,  however rules are rules and that's why we have them and the CCC/CHC. Its not his call full stop, we can all make the case for common sense, player welfare etc. Has he and his committees this year not punished and fined clubs for managers etc taking teams off the pitch, and those same people claimed welfare, common sense in their defense etc etc . They where fined and banned for long periods of time this year, Aghagallon Minors being a prime example, destroyed their season this year. So again back to my point made in previous posts, this executive does what it wants when it wants! Delargy yellow card incident with referee and his officials, farcical.  Same five players taking the next round of frees? Anyone want to educate me on this one? Is not supposed to be a new set of players taking the next 5? MR2 you've gone quiet there ahead of your final wanna educate me on rule? Not talking about individuals?

https://www.the42.ie/gaa-all-ireland-football-qualifiers-4055908-Jun2018/