The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

What's everyone's doing fitness wise? Any CrossFit fans?
I've a good lockdown stone to shift! I've been doing a lot on concept 2 machines lately and loving them. Aiming for a sub 7 min 2k row.

square_ball

A sub 7 time for 2km is very good going. What is your best time at the minute?

I have started back into the running in the new year. Getting out at least 3 times a week. So far so good. Not be setting any world records but it's keeping the weight gain at bay for the time being.

Mikhailov

2k row in 7 minutes is great work!

How many times a week do you do the 2k row? What is your current time split?

JimStynes

Current best time is 7.11. Took 13 seconds off it from the start of the year until last week. Doing a lot of threshold work at the minute and doing the odd 4x 500m effort each week. Holding 1.45 pace is tough work! Trying to go sub 7 on the ski erg too but it's way off at the minute. I like running but it's tough on the old knees.

square_ball

Holding a 1.45 pace for 2k would be painful! Just pull like a dog as the O'Donovan brothers would say.

Main Street

I once played in a squash league in London. I was the lowest ranked on our team  and played the lowest rank on a London Polytech team. Their 5th was poor, way below the required standard but I unsportingly rubbed it in a little bit. Later he then offered me a tour of the indoor sports facilities and we ended up in the rowing club's indoor training facility where there was a rowing boat in a simulated environment. He suggested I give the oars a try in the boat, he pressed a few buttons to activate the simulation and holy fck I never felt such pain. I got the message with respect  just looked at him and smiled. It turned out that he was the rowing team coach, most probably he just filled in as substitute on the squash team at short notice.
When it comes to rowing  - respect.

screenexile

Since the New Year I've signed up for a half marathon and a marathon... probably a mid life crisis thing but then there are worse things to do!!

Trying to run 3 times a week and a long run at the weekend and find it very difficult in terms of injuries and speed. My speed hasn't really improved but I'm hoping the further I go in the long runs it'll help increase the speed.

The best thing I've done is sign up for a Pilates class. I absolutely love it and am feeling much stronger in the core and my back which is a godsend for me who's back could spasm at any time. It's way more difficult than I thought it would be but I like the challenge of it and it's definitely something I'll keep up!

After the marathon I think the rowing machine will be the next investment it's probably the most sustainable and convenient way to stay fit fair play Jim!

Wildweasel74

Since last summer strength gym, after been away 15yrs, first  2 weeks a shock to the system, nearly killed me. Now 3/4 times a week, mosying up to getting near 200kg for my squats. Suppose weird past time in my late 40's.I left the conditioning part out, good run would kill me lol 😂.

JimStynes

I don't go heavy on squats and dead lifts etc anymore. The most is do on a back squat now is just over 100kg and front squat about 90kg. I very rarely go over 100kg on dead lift either. I've a bad back so the reward is never worth the risk in my case. I love Olympic lifting such as the snatch and clean and jerk. So technically hard to learn but again I always try and keep a sensible weight on the bar. I love CrossFit but some of the form and technique is shocking (including myself) due to people's egos getting in the way.

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on February 10, 2022, 05:58:02 AM
I don't go heavy on squats and dead lifts etc anymore. The most is do on a back squat now is just over 100kg and front squat about 90kg. I very rarely go over 100kg on dead lift either. I've a bad back so the reward is never worth the risk in my case. I love Olympic lifting such as the snatch and clean and jerk. So technically hard to learn but again I always try and keep a sensible weight on the bar. I love CrossFit but some of the form and technique is shocking (including myself) due to people's egos getting in the way.
I bought a trap bar for deadlifting. Much easier on the back. Ive noticed I'm a lot stronger running up hills since I started using it. It's the only weight lifting I do , I should probably do more and different types of weightlifting though I'm not interested in building bulk.

A friend of mine started doing Tai Chi and says it's been great for his mind and body. Wouldn't mind trying something like that.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

Quote from: laoislad on February 10, 2022, 06:59:08 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 10, 2022, 05:58:02 AM
I bought a trap bar for deadlifting. Much easier on the back. Ive noticed I'm a lot stronger running up hills since I started using it. It's the only weight lifting I do , I should probably do more and different types of weightlifting though I'm not interested in building bulk.

A friend of mine started doing Tai Chi and says it's been great for his mind and body. Wouldn't mind trying something like that.

Tai chi looks too out there for me lol I have done hot yoga or bikram yoga a 5 or 6 times and found it brilliant, something I could really do with for injury prevention and flexibility. But it's a bit too far out of the road for me to go regularly and it's bloody expensive! Staying injury free and eating all round me at weekends is my biggest problem.

imtommygunn

I bought a mobility program online and have to say even though I'm only 3 weeks into it it's been a god send for me. It's these guys from Ireland called movement 101 I think. It isn't the cheapest(160 euros or so) but there's a 10 minute daily routine in it to start with and instantly it has made a big difference for me mobility wise. (It's progressive so it's a lot more than 160 euros for a 10 minute routine lol) I think I'd something not working right in my left hip and I couldn't run with achilles problems on the back of it. After 3 weeks of this I have done a few runs this week and for the first time in a very long time felt nothing out of the achilles at all.

tintin25

Been doing a few strength and conditioning sessions every week with a local gym and mix that with a few long walks/hikes...does me rightly.  Hoping to get back running shortly for e.g. local parkrun and also play abit of south antrim football

Mario

I haven't been to the Gym since the first lockdown. It's harder to motivate myself to go now that I don't go to the office and am working from home. Think i'm going to kit out my garage with a gym that way i'll never have to leave the house.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mario on February 10, 2022, 08:46:22 AM
I haven't been to the Gym since the first lockdown. It's harder to motivate myself to go now that I don't go to the office and am working from home. Think i'm going to kit out my garage with a gym that way i'll never have to leave the house.

Same, have done nothing other than walking the dogs and the odd run and ref'ing.. Been doing a lot of walks in the Mournes last year and started already this year with a few peaks, motivation is zero since the gym I went to closed down (DW) and wasn't bought over..

Its all routine, will pick it up soon, but very busy at work lately and just want to head home and chill!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea