Playstation 3 v xbox v nintendo

Started by lynchbhoy, September 13, 2010, 04:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Howya folks,
I have been asked to track down whats best for the sisters kids in terms of playstation 3 or xbox etc.

Kids already have a playstation 2 and want to be able to swap the games with classmates who all seemingly have playstation 3's now.

I'd tell them to shut up and play with what they have, but first question can you play the ps2 games on the ps3 ?
Is there any benefit in upgrading to a xbox or wii or nintendo (is that the other big alternative - I cant even remember!!)

Where is best to buy these fecking things..

TIA
Santa claus

Billys Boots

QuoteI'd tell them to shut up and play with what they have, but first question can you play the ps2 games on the ps3 ?

From bitter experience, despite what Sony have been blathering on about, the newer ps3s cannot play ps2 games.

QuoteWhere is best to buy these fecking things.

Smyth's still seem to have the best offers.  If trading in games, also go to Smyth's, they seem to give twice what the others do.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

OverTheBlackSpot

Think the earlier PS3's were able to play PS2 games. Free on-line gaming is a plus for the PS3 & the HD blu-ray player too.

Lazer

Yep - the original PS3's can play PS2 games

However, for children, I recommend the Nintendo Wii - it encourages kids to be active instead of just sitting on front of the TV with the controls
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Tony Baloney

Santa will be hauling a Nintendo Wii down our chimney this year. For older children and teenagers I'd go for PS3. If they have PS2 then it's a shoo in.

liihb

QuoteHowever, for children, I recommend the Nintendo Wii - it encourages kids to be active instead of just sitting on front of the TV with the controls

The xbox are bringing out that new controller where essentially you are the control, no need to hold anything, from all accounts (well Matt Cooper!) its goingto be savage altogether, could be worth getting that, and get the best of both worlds
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Lazer on September 13, 2010, 06:06:34 PM
Yep - the original PS3's can play PS2 games

However, for children, I recommend the Nintendo Wii - it encourages kids to be active instead of just sitting on front of the TV with the controls
The original ps3s play them but where would you get one now?

Lynch, for kids playing games, I would get the xbox - much more user friendly and cheaper than the ps3 and as Liihb says they have kinect coming out shortly which is more advanced than the glorified wii controlers that sony is introducing.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Lazer

Quote from: liihb on September 13, 2010, 06:16:17 PM
QuoteHowever, for children, I recommend the Nintendo Wii - it encourages kids to be active instead of just sitting on front of the TV with the controls

The xbox are bringing out that new controller where essentially you are the control, no need to hold anything, from all accounts (well Matt Cooper!) its goingto be savage altogether, could be worth getting that, and get the best of both worlds

Now that sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to try it out!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

mc_grens

Go to x-box.com, watch the trailer for Kinect.

Decision made.

OverTheBlackSpot

The PS3 is bringing out (think its out all ready) a move controller the same as the wii.

lynchbhoy

Bogball XV

Quote from: OverTheBlackSpot on September 13, 2010, 08:49:07 PM
The PS3 is bringing out (think its out all ready) a move controller the same as the wii.
out in the next week or so, makes the decision a no-brainer - ps3 also has a blu-ray player.

mc_grens

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 14, 2010, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: OverTheBlackSpot on September 13, 2010, 08:49:07 PM
out in the next week or so, makes the decision a no-brainer - ps3 also has a blu-ray player.

Again, watch the trailer for Kinect- NO CONTROLLERS!

deiseach

The wedding obviously went without a hitch since The Real Laois Lad is not on playing his anointed role as Sony's biggest fanboy. For the rest of us, the questions re PS3 v 360 is whether there are any exclusive titles that appeal to you and whether the extra few quid for Blu-ray is worth it. The Wii is a different beast altogether, not really comparable with the other two (which was Nintendo's evil plan / dumb luck - people buy either/or with the PS3 and the 360 leaving the Wii as a standalone purchase)