more soccer hooliganism in Dublin

Started by lynchbhoy, August 15, 2010, 10:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

while isolated incidents of fans fighting or attacking players/refs etc are disgracefully still occasional in this country,
this pre-meditated plan of action by soccer fans shows the difference there is between soccer and Gaa sports fans.
The reason why I post this is because some people try to label soccer in Ireland - whether it is Dublin, Belfast of Cork - as being similar in its 'violence' to GAA - but while GAA have the same kinds of thugs in a minority, soccer have theirs and worse- its organised - thats hooliganism , and they are light years in their difference.

from sunday tribune today !

Shamrock Rovers fans held after rampage in rivals' pub
Jennifer Bray
Eight Shamrock Rovers fans were arrested last Sunday after causing extensive damage to a Dublin pub following a fixture against rival club Bohemians.

after the match, which took place in Tallaght Stadium, Rovers' home ground, about 20 fans travelled by bus from Tallaght to the Phibsborough House pub on the northside of the city, which is close to Bohemians' home at Dalymount Park.

It is understood the Rovers fans began causing trouble in the quiet pub, smashing windows and throwing glasses.

Gardaí arrested three men at the scene and questioned a further five men at Bridewell station.

The three who were arrested were all in their late teens and were released last week. Files will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

It is understood the troublemakers have been caught on CCTV. The pub is said to have been badly damaged and is now in the process of analysing the costs and beginning repairs.

A spokesman for the Phibsborough House confirmed the incident but declined to comment any further.

A garda spokesman said: "Gardaí at Mountjoy were called to an incident in a public house in Phibsborough at 7.45pm where three men were arrested.

"Five juveniles were taken to Bridewell Garda Station and were dealt with accordingly. A large amount of damage was done to the public house.

"All three were released and a file has been sent to the DPP."

August 15, 2010

AZOffaly

Billys Boots

QuoteRovers v Bohs = Bad News.

Has been for over 20 years, and very little has been done to remedy the situation.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rossfan

How long will it take Dublinfella to condemn this?  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Geoff Tipps

In fairness it's a bit of a tear up in a pub. Big deal.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 16, 2010, 05:26:11 PM
Indeed, involving 20 'fans'. There was more than that chasing a GAA referee around Croker last month.

Puckoon

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Puckoon on August 16, 2010, 06:15:07 PM
Ah - there's the whataboutery!
Not a bit of it - Lynchbhoy introduced the 'compare and contrast' theme with his first post, so I'm staying firmly on topic.  ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 16, 2010, 07:21:13 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 16, 2010, 06:15:07 PM
Ah - there's the whataboutery!
Not a bit of it - Lynchbhoy introduced the 'compare and contrast' theme with his first post, so I'm staying firmly on topic.  ;)
nope it is whataboutery from you
I am pointing out the pre-meditated aspect of this and thus the difference between thugs (common to soccer and all sports) and hooligans (that exist only in soccer circles - difference is the PRE-MEDITATED part)

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 16, 2010, 06:10:55 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 16, 2010, 05:26:11 PM
Indeed, involving 20 'fans'. There was more than that chasing a GAA referee around Croker last month.

no there wasn't

the colonel

There was only about 8 chasing the ref after the leinster final
the difference between success and failure is energy

lynchbhoy

nor did any of them decide to get hold of a bus to head to croke park in order to go after the ref either !!

while some of the other clubs will have a few thugs and twits amongst them, it seems that the problem is with one club in particular and the fans are not confined to tallaght.
I know of lads who I spoke to from a south county Dublin location who were 'rovers ultras' who liked a bit of a scrap and the 'craic' surrounding it !
it seems this club happens to attract this kind of sc**bag. Prob not entirely their fault, but they need to do something about it.
or the fai need to take measures.

deiseach

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 17, 2010, 12:03:17 PM
while some of the other clubs will have a few thugs and twits amongst them, it seems that the problem is with one club in particular and the fans are not confined to tallaght

Why would they be confined to Tallaght? Rovers are from Milltown.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on August 17, 2010, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 17, 2010, 12:03:17 PM
while some of the other clubs will have a few thugs and twits amongst them, it seems that the problem is with one club in particular and the fans are not confined to tallaght

Why would they be confined to Tallaght? Rovers are from Milltown.
because most of the troublemakers in recent years have been from tallaght...from newpaper reports on where the lads are from that get arrested or detained by police...

miltown was light years ago and while fans still support them hailing from miltown,the 'violent' element from miltown have all grown up and no longer participate.

this club draw supporters from all round Dublin and most of them would be fine, but there is an element of fight seeking personnel that are drawn to them that I dont find of see with Bohs or Shelbourne, pats etc