The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Jinxy on May 08, 2018, 10:13:53 AM
Cian Ward is the best football analyst knocking around at the moment but he works better on the radio/podcast where he actually has time to speak.
He's excellent on the GAA Hour podcast.
Very honest and comes across as a good laugh as well.

tintin25

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 14, 2018, 07:31:26 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 13, 2018, 10:09:51 PM
Wicklow manager - "if Dublin want to beat us by 10 or 20 points they can" Is ridiculous this non tiered system...
You are mad for a tiered system. How much interest or coverage did you see of the Joe McDonagh,Christy ring,Nicky Rackard cups this weekend?

Wicklow manager has a name John Evans and he said "If Dublin want to beat us by 10, 20, 30 or 40 points they can do that, but we'll play our football and we'll develop our football over the next three years and that's what I'm looking at, not only one game."

Exactly.  Tiered system will not work and numbers going to games would reduce dramatically imo.  Wouldn't be surprised if players even went on strike because of it. 

longballin

Quote from: tintin25 on May 14, 2018, 08:00:44 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 14, 2018, 07:31:26 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 13, 2018, 10:09:51 PM
Wicklow manager - "if Dublin want to beat us by 10 or 20 points they can" Is ridiculous this non tiered system...
You are mad for a tiered system. How much interest or coverage did you see of the Joe McDonagh,Christy ring,Nicky Rackard cups this weekend?

Wicklow manager has a name John Evans and he said "If Dublin want to beat us by 10, 20, 30 or 40 points they can do that, but we'll play our football and we'll develop our football over the next three years and that's what I'm looking at, not only one game."

Exactly.  Tiered system will not work and numbers going to games would reduce dramatically imo.  Wouldn't be surprised if players even went on strike because of it.

Is why most of the football championship is a load of bolloxbetween now and August

shark

Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2018, 07:43:07 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 08, 2018, 10:13:53 AM
Cian Ward is the best football analyst knocking around at the moment but he works better on the radio/podcast where he actually has time to speak.
He's excellent on the GAA Hour podcast.
Very honest and comes across as a good laugh as well.

Agree. Could listen to him all day. Mind you, I could listen to that podcast all day.

However, I marked him once and ended up on my arse after he dummy soloed twice before putting the ball over the bar. Will never forgive him.

BennyHarp

Just watched the live coverage Galway v Mayo game there. I know it was not a great game but ffs those fellas analysing would depress the life out of you. New season, same oul dreary analysis. I barely want to watch another match this season after listening to them.
That was never a square ball!!

galwayman

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 14, 2018, 08:29:22 PM
Just watched the live coverage Galway v Mayo game there. I know it was not a great game but ffs those fellas analysing would depress the life out of you. New season, same oul dreary analysis. I barely want to watch another match this season after listening to them.
The analysts are pretty terrible for sure.
Was watching it and noticed they said Ciaran Duggan was 23 - saw this written in a piece in the paper today as well.
Well I played against him in an adult club semi final in 2009 and he most certainly was not 14 years old at the time :-)
More like 27 I would say.

BennyCake

TG4's coverage on Monday nights is such a breath of fresh air compared to the shite TSG churn out.

An Fhairche Abu

Tired format, same old story every year, appalling highlights of the games that aren't carried live on the evening show as well. Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke really need to be out out to pasture at this point.
I watched the match back last night and the "expert analysis" is nearly beyond parody at this stage it is so bad, just absolutely useless, what value do RTE add to their GAA coverage besides just carrying the live matches? Nothing. RTE and the GAA will point to viewer figures but the reality is that it would be watched by exact the same people regardless of what channel it's on.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2018, 11:29:12 PM
TG4's coverage on Monday nights is such a breath of fresh air compared to the shite TSG churn out.

+1,000 !!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 12:33:24 PM

Tired format, same old story every year, appalling highlights of the games that aren't carried live on the evening show as well. Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke really need to be out out to pasture at this point.
I watched the match back last night and the "expert analysis" is nearly beyond parody at this stage it is so bad, just absolutely useless, what value do RTE add to their GAA coverage besides just carrying the live matches? Nothing. RTE and the GAA will point to viewer figures but the reality is that it would be watched by exact the same people regardless of what channel it's on.
Have stopped watching the RTE analysis long ago and i hear its still the same worn out gimmicks desperately seeking attention. The commentary of Ger Canning and Dessie Dolan was awful last Sunday and its not going to get better as Martin Carney,Tommy Carr are even worse.

shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 15, 2018, 03:12:02 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 12:33:24 PM

Have stopped watching the RTE analysis long ago and i hear its still the same worn out gimmicks desperately seeking attention. The commentary of Ger Canning and Dessie Dolan was awful last Sunday and its not going to get better as Martin Carney,Tommy Carr are even worse.

When Brannigan came on for Kyne, Heaney went as the free man. Turned out to be a great switch by Walsh. I only know that because Parkinson said it on his podcast. Couldn't tell from tv. Thats the kind of thing the guys on RTE, who are at the game, should be telling us.

An Fhairche Abu

That is a classic example of the added value that good analysis would bring to the RTE coverage for people not at the match who won't see that easily themselves.
Instead we are "treated" to I didn't enjoy that, the game is dying before our eyes etc.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 04:15:08 PM
That is a classic example of the added value that good analysis would bring to the RTE coverage for people not at the match who won't see that easily themselves.
Instead we are "treated" to I didn't enjoy that, the game is dying before our eyes etc.

Did you watch the Mayo game?