Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on June 03, 2011, 11:50:56 AM
I can't agree with Canavan saying that Meath players should've offered Louth a replay and that it was a lack of leadership when they didn't.

They should never have been put in that position and the CCCC fudged the issue - they had the option of not adopting the ref's report but bottled it.

I dunno heffo, I think Canavan got it pretty much spot on there for me. There seems to be a lack of leadership on the current Eastmeath team and I fell that if there was men like Lyons, McDermott, O'Connell, etc. they'd actually have wanted to replay the match and show Louth who was boss. Major flaws were shown up in their game in the Leinster Final last year and offering a replay would have offered them a chance to rectify those, as well as showing Louth who was boss. And as it turned out they were cannon fodder for Kildare in the quarter final. I agree that the CCCC fudged the issue though. Looking forward to Sunday's encounter, would like to see what O'Connor is like in midfield as I feel he's the Kildare version of Eoghan O'Gara in the ff line.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ross matt

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 03, 2011, 12:26:44 PM
Maybe Geraghty does indeed lack 'class' and he could well be a racist to boot.
But it would take more than the incident in Oz in '99 to convince me of either.
For me, it was a case of Political Correctness gone mad when the story broke in the Irish media.
I had to wade through a mountain of moral indignation and hypocritical craw thumping to find an account of an interview given to a local paper by Cupido after the game.
The Sunday Indo carried the account I saw and it was stuck in on page 3 or 4—well away from the sports section. In it Cupido was reported as saying that he went into the tackle 'low, hard and dirty.' He was under instructions to take Geraghty out of the game and whoever else he could get at.
He said he wasn't put out in the slightest by Geraghty's reaction; such abuse was commonplace over there and he knew Geraghty's comment was an instinctive reaction to his tackle.
I couldn't see it being otherwise. I could see no racist motive in what the Meath man said. He had just been flattened in an illegal manner and was trying to pick himself up and hadn't the time or composure to come out with a politically correct expression of his feelings.
Now, if he had walked up to Cupido after the game and used the same language, I'd have no sympathy for him.
Cupido's action was premeditated and designed to maim the Irish player; he had gone into the game with the deliberate intention of doing this. Geraghty's reaction was instinctive and he passed this remark while he was trying to regain his composure and sort out his arse from his elbow in a manner of speaking.
IMO, the moralistic campaign in some section of the media back home made no attempt to give a balanced account of what happened.
Geraghty may well be guilty of lots of things  but I wouldn't indict him on a charge of racism in this instance.

Intelligent post Lar.

DB_An_Mhi

I think it is easy to say there is a lack of leadership in the team when you are comparing the current crop to the 87/88/96/99 teams who were awash with inspirational figures. Very few if any counties could produce teams decade after decade with such an array of players with major leadership qualities. They were golden eras at least where Meath is concerned. But I do accept that having one or two players who others could look to for inspiration and leadership was lacking. The 2010 team (Nigel Crawford and Anthony Moyles apart) were/are still an up and coming relatively young team that had not won any major honours beforehand, so to expect them to show the kind of maturity that only comes towards the end of a long successful career and through experience is expecting too much. The Leinster title of 2010 has become something of a poisoned chalice, but certain people bringing it up again in the media so close to the start of the 2011 season, is both unhelpful and routed in sour grapes from the distant past.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on June 03, 2011, 08:12:44 AM
It's hugely ironic that Myles should pontificate about alleged racism and set himself forth as a paragon of sportsmanship given that his sporting hero, as proudly proclaimed here some time ago, is a nazi-saluting professional soccer player with some English club.

You should be a politician for spinning that episode like that. I gave Di Canio catching the ball instead of scoring a goal as an example of good sportsmanship. You or someone else then showed a picture of him doing a nazi salute - something I did not know about. I immediately condemned that action and I can tell you Di Canio went to the bottom of my admired soccer player list, just like any other person who acts like a rascist. I am consistent on this unlike yourself.

However, what is Ironic is that when I point out an act from Geraghtys past I am labelled as pathetic by you, you tell me my doing this makes you puke etc. Yet, there was no problem digging up nazi salutes from Di Canios past to blacken his name? That is ironic my Meath friend - thanks for reminding me.

In closing, as I am sure you would all rather talk about the game on Sunday, I summarise my position. Meath footballing legend Colm O Rourke implied Geraghty was lacking class. A lot of people disagreed, I didn't and put forward a report from a national paper outlining how he racially abused a 17 year old Australian player whille on duty for his country. Colm O Rourke was the manager of that team and he sent him home for his act.

I am labelled pathetic, bitter and unbelievably a Nazi (all be it by an idiot who doesn't know what a Nazi is). Colm O Rourke on the other hand, well I suppose he is just wrong. Peter Canavan is also bitter too I see although over what exactly I don't know!

Hope its a good game on Sunday anyway, I will watch with interest.

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 03, 2011, 08:13:22 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 03, 2011, 08:12:44 AM
It's hugely ironic that Myles should pontificate about alleged racism and set himself forth as a paragon of sportsmanship given that his sporting hero, as proudly proclaimed here some time ago, is a nazi-saluting professional soccer player with some English club.

You should be a politician for spinning that episode like that. I gave Di Canio catching the ball instead of scoring a goal as an example of good sportsmanship. You or someone else then showed a picture of him doing a nazi salute - something I did not know about. I immediately condemned that action and I can tell you Di Canio went to the bottom of my admired soccer player list, just like any other person who acts like a rascist. I am consistent on this unlike yourself.

However, what is Ironic is that when I point out an act from Geraghtys past I am labelled as pathetic by you, you tell me my doing this makes you puke etc. Yet, there was no problem digging up nazi salutes from Di Canios past to blacken his name? That is ironic my Meath friend - thanks for reminding me.

In closing, as I am sure you would all rather talk about the game on Sunday, I summarise my position. Meath footballing legend Colm O Rourke implied Geraghty was lacking class. A lot of people disagreed, I didn't and put forward a report from a national paper outlining how he racially abused a 17 year old Australian player whille on duty for his country. Colm O Rourke was the manager of that team and he sent him home for his act.

I am labelled pathetic, bitter and unbelievably a Nazi (all be it by an idiot who doesn't know what a Nazi is). Colm O Rourke on the other hand, well I suppose he is just wrong. Peter Canavan is also bitter too I see although over what exactly I don't know!

Hope its a good game on Sunday anyway, I will watch with interest.

Myles, it is abundantly clear that you know next to nothing about the incident in question so either go away and learn the facts or just be quiet.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

O rourke made an awful poor comment which I hope he regrets

Main Street

I don't know why Myles is butting in.
No one with any sense  would turn up to a mudslinging fight in Meath with a few pebble sized pieces.

Hardy

Myles, you don't seem to have the sense you were born with. If you're going to construct a complicated defence, at least take the basics step of checking the facts that it relies on. Your narrative of the GG "incident" in Australia is so wrong it's funny.

My mention of your soccer star gaffe was simply to suggest that you might have learned a lesson about judging people, either to elevate or denigrate them, when you don't know the facts. But that seems to have gone swooshing over your head too. Nobody thinks you're a nazi, any more than anyone with the sense they were born with thinks GG is a racist.

thebuzz

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 03, 2011, 12:26:44 PM
Maybe Geraghty does indeed lack 'class' and he could well be a racist to boot.
But it would take more than the incident in Oz in '99 to convince me of either.
For me, it was a case of Political Correctness gone mad when the story broke in the Irish media.
I had to wade through a mountain of moral indignation and hypocritical craw thumping to find an account of an interview given to a local paper by Cupido after the game.
The Sunday Indo carried the account I saw and it was stuck in on page 3 or 4—well away from the sports section. In it Cupido was reported as saying that he went into the tackle 'low, hard and dirty.' He was under instructions to take Geraghty out of the game and whoever else he could get at.
He said he wasn't put out in the slightest by Geraghty's reaction; such abuse was commonplace over there and he knew Geraghty's comment was an instinctive reaction to his tackle.
I couldn't see it being otherwise. I could see no racist motive in what the Meath man said. He had just been flattened in an illegal manner and was trying to pick himself up and hadn't the time or composure to come out with a politically correct expression of his feelings.
Now, if he had walked up to Cupido after the game and used the same language, I'd have no sympathy for him.
Cupido's action was premeditated and designed to maim the Irish player; he had gone into the game with the deliberate intention of doing this. Geraghty's reaction was instinctive and he passed this remark while he was trying to regain his composure and sort out his arse from his elbow in a manner of speaking.
IMO, the moralistic campaign in some section of the media back home made no attempt to give a balanced account of what happened.
Geraghty may well be guilty of lots of things  but I wouldn't indict him on a charge of racism in this instance.

As you say if he had said it without any provocation it would have been a totally racist remark.
In the circumstances he didn't have time to think about it and was probably hurt.
We all say a lot of things in the heat of battle.
The fact that Cupido didn't see it as a racist remark is also interesting.

Declan

Meath manager Seamus McEnaney has confirmed that Graham Geraghty will look to return to the playing field for the Royal County in 2012, in addition to his role as a selector for the team.

McEnaney, speaking to RTÉ's Gaelic Games correspondent Brian Carthy, confirmed that there will be a playing role for the two-time All-Ireland winner, who will be 39 in May. McEnaney also confirmed that Geraghty has recently returned to training.

Geraghty retired from inter-county football in 2008, but returned to the panel last summer for Meath's Championship game against Kildare, during which he had a goal disallowed in controversial circumstances.

A subsequent Achilles tendon injury ruled him out of the remainder of Meath's campaign, but McEnaney believes that the Seneschalstown clubman has more to offer.

McEnaney said: "Graham joined my backroom team as a selector, and he is now back in full training for the last few weeks.

"He played ten or 15 minutes in a game last Tuesday night but, although he is back in full training, he is not at full fitness. That will take a while.

"He certainly has a role to play on the field as well as his role as a selector.

"Graham Geraghty is a fantastic footballer, and he has a contribution to make to this Meath team both as a player and as a selector, and I have no doubt he will be able to contribute in both roles.'

intheknowhow

Ye what is the story here? Geraghty was a fantastic play back in the day but does Banty really feel he can contribute on the pitch? Like tbh in recent years the game has become more fitness orientated and at 37 i think the best you can hope for his 10 minutes at max. Even at that will he be sharp enough or aware to get that vital score Meath need??

rrhf

thejuice

More importantly are the umpires and referees sharp and aware enough to keep up with his brilliance instead of disallowing his flashes of genius?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

I grew up afraid of meath I now pity them.  This I feel will be a trainwreck year :D