Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 07:17:15 PM
Quote from: agorm on June 01, 2011, 07:00:13 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 10:22:02 AM
Excellent player but...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/geraghty-axed-for-first-test-after-racist-remark-393016.html

Cheap shot.....

I came on here to see some decent debate about the weekend's games, only to read this regurgitated rubbish. You must have plenty of spare time to allow you to search the internet for this article.

I am not surprised this site is going down the tubes if this represents the level of discussion.

Only took me 30 secs to find the article. I remember the incident well so just stuck graham geraghty and rascist into Google. Do you think it is false this report. I seem to remember the Australians took it serious enough to beat the hell out of him the next chance they got. Anyway, sorry for ruining your Gaaboard experience

I have better things to be doing with my time like going to work when you were googling Geraghty earlier today and helping to train kids for football final this evening.

I couldnt care less about the report....you seem very interested so you can have whatever opinion you like.

Regarding the Aussies I never really bought into your notion that Geraghty was targeted because of the media stuff. I always thought he was targeted because he was a class player representing his country. Sickeningly, you seem to be trying to excuse their actions.

And, no, you didnt "ruin" my gaaboard experience..........your post after all those years since those happenings in Australia was so patetic it made me laugh.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on June 01, 2011, 08:00:44 PM
Not yet- still puking. You had the chance to make a graceful withdrawal but instead chose not only to stick by your sanctimonious hypocrisy but to compound it with a little parable about how you are above this kind of thing as exemplified by your own impeccable behaviour. Puke.

I am totally above this kind of thing, most decent people are. As for the puking, I'd ask a doctor to check that out - I'm worried for you.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: agorm on June 01, 2011, 10:19:00 PM
Excellent player but...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/geraghty-axed-for-first-test-after-racist-remark-393016.html

Cheap shot.....

I came on here to see some decent debate about the weekend's games, only to read this regurgitated rubbish. You must have plenty of spare time to allow you to search the internet for this article.

I am not surprised this site is going down the tubes if this represents the level of discussion.

Only took me 30 secs to find the article. I remember the incident well so just stuck graham geraghty and rascist into Google. Do you think it is false this report. I seem to remember the Australians took it serious enough to beat the hell out of him the next chance they got. Anyway, sorry for ruining your Gaaboard experience

I have better things to be doing with my time like going to work when you were googling Geraghty earlier today and helping to train kids for football final this evening.

I couldnt care less about the report....you seem very interested so you can have whatever opinion you like.

Regarding the Aussies I never really bought into your notion that Geraghty was targeted because of the media stuff. I always thought he was targeted because he was a class player representing his country. Sickeningly, you seem to be trying to excuse their actions.

And, no, you didnt "ruin" my gaaboard experience..........your post after all those years since those happenings in Australia was so patetic it made me laugh.

Sometimes at work on a tea break I go on the old HTC and post a comment or two. I suppose if I checked all your posts id find none during working hours? Sorry for taking some time to reply, was training a team there myself, am I not brilliant too. I didn't condone the Australians attacking him, just stated my opinion that they targeted him for revenge. Didn't get the sense from your last post that you were enjoying yourself and having a laugh. You came across very depressed and downbeat.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: DB_An_Mhi on June 01, 2011, 08:06:25 PM
TBH it was one of the first things that sprang to my mind too (before Myles link), when others were drawing attention to COR's "touch of class" piece, reading in between the lines and wondering about it's possible connotations (at least in relation to where GG's character as a footballer is concerned). It was the last thing COR as Irish team manager needed at the time so is bound to left a bad impression ... "how he conducts himself". I think it would be fair to say that at the time GG was immature and stupid (no more). In the same way Cantona, DiCanio or Zidane were despite their footballing genius. Lets leave it at that as I dare not use other GAA players as examples. Better if the issue was never raised, but I think Myles brought it up in the context of the "class" debate rather than through malice.

Yes you have me 100% on the button there. Some would prefer to label me anti meath based on a bit of friendly slagging on other threads.

Hardy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 10:33:16 PM
Not yet- still puking. You had the chance to make a graceful withdrawal but instead chose not only to stick by your sanctimonious hypocrisy but to compound it with a little parable about how you are above this kind of thing as exemplified by your own impeccable behaviour. Puke.

I am totally above this kind of thing ...

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men -- robbers, evildoers, adulterers -- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on June 01, 2011, 11:11:46 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 10:33:16 PM

I am totally above this kind of thing ...

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men -- robbers, evildoers, adulterers -- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

I'm sure the lord will forgive graham geraghty, the question is will he tell him that he had class.  :D

DB_An_Mhi

ross matt

Myles the incident when the Australians knocked Geraghty unconscious had nothing to do with the incident years before. Geraghty at lease apologised for the first incident and it was a case of immature verbals rather than anything racist. Should never have been blown up the way it was. In the 2nd incident I dont recall the australians aologising for their "lack of class" and it was a hell of alot more serious than what GG said years before.

agorm

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 10:41:40 PM
Quote from: agorm on June 01, 2011, 10:19:00 PM
Excellent player but...

Cheap shot.....

Sometimes at work on a tea break I go on the old HTC and post a comment or two. I suppose if I checked all your posts id find none during working hours? Sorry for taking some time to reply, was training a team there myself, am I not brilliant too. I didn't condone the Australians attacking him, just stated my opinion that they targeted him for revenge. Didn't get the sense from your last post that you were enjoying yourself and having a laugh. You came across very depressed and downbeat.
Nice way to spend your teabreak - then again,considering your juvenile attitudes, you probably dont have much in common with your colleagues.

Regarding your apology for taking time to reply - you replied a full 22 minutes after my post!!! Ha Ha -

mylestheslasher

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 02, 2011, 12:11:48 PM
Pathetic stuff Myles.

What's pathetic seanie or is 3 words all you can string together. Apparently calling someone a black bastard is immature verbals now. If you said that at work to someone you would get the sack. Geraghty was 25 in 99, most people would  have a bit of sense at that age. The other guy was 17. I haven't even bothered to post all the other stuff he did either. Colm o rourke is dead right.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 02, 2011, 07:43:45 PM
Pathetic stuff Myles.

What's pathetic seanie or is 3 words all you can string together. Apparently calling someone a black b**tard is immature verbals now. If you said that at work to someone you would get the sack. Geraghty was 25 in 99, most people would  have a bit of sense at that age. The other guy was 17. I haven't even bothered to post all the other stuff he did either. Colm o rourke is dead right.

so instead you sneakily mention there is "other stuff" while telling us what a great guy you are by not posting it.

I'm proud to be on your ignore list. I must be doing something right.

ross matt

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 02, 2011, 07:43:45 PM
Pathetic stuff Myles.

What's pathetic seanie or is 3 words all you can string together. Apparently calling someone a black b**tard is immature verbals now. If you said that at work to someone you would get the sack. Geraghty was 25 in 99, most people would  have a bit of sense at that age. The other guy was 17. I haven't even bothered to post all the other stuff he did either. Colm o rourke is dead right.

It was me who used that term Myles not Seanie. If it was'nt that then what do you term it? Racism?

If you hit a guy a shoulder at work you'd get the sack also. Since when have work rules anything to do with sport?
From rumours/media plus reservations by Meath greats + C.O.R's inference I imagine GG has some skeletons in his closet. But dragging up an issue from the decade before last is going out of your way to blacken the guy's character. It was a long time ago. He did apologise and he did take his punishment. I dont see what it has to do with the current situation regarding him returning to the Meath panel.

heffo

I'm surprised at O'Rourke making that last comment about class to be honest - unnecessary and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Geraghty sprung from the bench for the last ten minutes Sunday.

DB_An_Mhi

COR's comments were more a compliment to Giles (using him as an example, had he returned) rather than a direct put down to Geraghty, otherwise why mention the former persons name at all. Maybe he could have used different language to avoid some folk going over his words with a fine tooth comb. It is not as if he said in black and white GG had no class at all. Just that was some people's interpretation when at worst he inferred he was lacking in same.

In today's world anyone who serves the public day in day out would know that there are people with good manners, bad manners and no manners. Just like there are people with class/breeding/good taste; others lacking same i.e. unversed where proper etiquette is concerned while still decent salt of the earth folk; others with no class at all. If someone lacks class it merely makes them ordinary/normal, it doesn't automatically infer they are bad mannered, boorish or uncouth. Saying someone has no class is another story entirely.

Anyway, I think it would be fair to say that GG was (and possibly still is) a fanastic footballer, with fitness levels and athleticism that is freakish / superhuman for his age, while some of his behaviour/antics down the years would lead one to say he is uncultured. What he does or doesn't do on Sunday will not really change that. None of us are perfect and despite his flaws he has given a great many, lots of happy memories down the years. While I think he was slightly selfish to return a few more magical moments would not go amiss.