All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: square_ball on November 25, 2020, 02:40:38 PM
So the semi final should be moved just to keep the winning score line respectable??

Moved in the interest of fairness.

Croke Park is Dublin's nominated home ground, the match should be played at a neutral venue.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

Arielatom

Angelo

Quote from: Arielatom on November 25, 2020, 03:03:52 PM
Move it to PUC, best surface and facilities outside Croker.

The Athletic Grounds or O'Moore Park offer the most appropriate solution.

I wouldn't be adverse to PUC being used as a semi-final venue in future. If the Casement redevelopment is approved it should also be considered in this regard.

square_ball

Anyway it's all irrelevant. Cavan have zero issues playing it at Croke Park.

Itchy

Quote from: square_ball on November 25, 2020, 03:27:23 PM

Define issues, Mickey Graham has asked for it to be moved from Croker. Does that mean he will refuse to turn up, of course not, but he is on record asking it to be moved. The fact is that will not be facilitated for other reasons.

I also note not one Dub has explained why if Croke Park is no advantage to them, why they wouldnt agree to playing it elsewhere?

Arielatom

Quote from: Angelo on November 25, 2020, 03:17:42 PM

I wouldn't be adverse to PUC being used as a semi-final venue in future. If the Casement redevelopment is approved it should also be considered in this regard.

Do they have the required facilities?

This was sent to me by a friend from Cork, it is his personal opinion on the facilities.

There must be 4 dressing rooms wherever it's played.

Floodlights. Croke Park has the best floodlights and considering it will be in December depending on the day they may be needed in even a early morning throw in. Not all county grounds even have floodlights.

HawkEye. Don't say it doesn't matter because it does. It was needed in last Saturdays match.

Facilities for TV crews. Like it or not it's easier for TV crews to show a match in CP than anywhere else.

Facilities for journalists/reporters. Again better in CP than elsewhere. An all Ireland semi final will mean probably more than another game. CP can accommodate that.

It also has one of if not the best surfaces in the country. An All Ireland Semi Final should be played on the best surface available.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the mic and communication system for referees is different in Croke Park than it is elsewhere.

Also the fact that the semi-final was down to be played there initially.

Can you honestly say Navan can provide anywhere near the same?

Angelo

Quote from: Arielatom on November 25, 2020, 03:47:47 PM

This was sent to me by a friend from Cork, it is his personal opinion on the facilities.

Floodlights. Croke Park has the best floodlights and considering it will be in December depending on the day they may be needed in even a early morning throw in. Not all county grounds even have floodlights.

HawkEye. Don't say it doesn't matter because it does. It was needed in last Saturdays match.

Facilities for TV crews. Like it or not it's easier for TV crews to show a match in CP than anywhere else.

Facilities for journalists/reporters. Again better in CP than elsewhere. An all Ireland semi final will mean probably more than another game. CP can accommodate that.

It also has one of if not the best surfaces in the country. An All Ireland Semi Final should be played on the best surface available.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the mic and communication system for referees is different in Croke Park than it is elsewhere.

If it has the facilties to play a behind closed doors championship match then it has the facilities to play a behind closed doors Championship match.

Both O'Moore Park and the Atheltic Grounds have done so this year.

The GAA are reticent to level the playing field. Dublin GAA are reticent to level the playing field.

Arielatom

Quote from: Angelo on November 25, 2020, 03:58:26 PM

If it has the facilties to play a behind closed doors championship match then it has the facilities to play a behind closed doors Championship match.

The GAA are reticent to level the playing field. Dublin GAA are reticent to level the playing field.

As I said I'd be for PUC. By far the best alternative facility wise. I think you'll find this has nothing to do with Dublin GAA.

square_ball

Quote from: Itchy on November 25, 2020, 03:46:32 PM

Define issues, Mickey Graham has asked for it to be moved from Croker. Does that mean he will refuse to turn up, of course not, but he is on record asking it to be moved. The fact is that will not be facilitated for other reasons.

I also note not one Dub has explained why if Croke Park is no advantage to them, why they wouldnt agree to playing it elsewhere?

Your county board have said they have never asked or have any intention of asking for it to be moved from Croke Park. So obviously they have no issues about it being there. Nor did Thomas Galligan in the Irish news this morning.

And why is it up to Dublin to agree to move it elsewhere?

Itchy

Quote from: square_ball on November 25, 2020, 04:06:47 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 25, 2020, 03:46:32 PM

And your county board have said they have never asked or have any intention of asking for it to be moved from Croke Park. So obviously they have no issues about it being there. Nor did Thomas Galligan in the Irish news this morning.

And why is it up to Dublin to agree to move it elsewhere?

I am quite sure Cavan officially don't want to make a big deal out of this only to lose the argument (which is inevitable) and be bet before the game starts, they know it will never be changed and they are too small a player to effect a change. However, lets all be honest - Croke Park is an unfair advantage for Dublin over almost every team they play there and that is the sole and only reason Dublin defenders of the status quo want the game played there. This unfair advantage has been 100% facilitated by the GAA top brass for years and years.

Anyway, I am saying no more about that cos it will make no difference. Time to start talking about the game.

Angelo

Quote from: Arielatom on November 25, 2020, 04:06:15 PM

As I said I'd be for PUC. By far the best alternative facility wise. I think you'll find this has nothing to do with Dublin GAA.

Cavan players don't need to be dragged down on a 4/5 hour trip to Cork.

It can and should be held in either O'Moore Park or the Athletic Grounds.

Arielatom

Quote from: Angelo on November 25, 2020, 04:20:43 PM

PUC is according to Google maps 3hr 46 min from Cavan Town and 3hr from Dublin City Centre. Not much of a difference for both teams to play in Irelands 2nd best facility. I'm sure both teams could do it if asked.

Angelo

Quote from: Arielatom on November 25, 2020, 04:33:37 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 25, 2020, 04:20:43 PM

PUC is according to Google maps 3hr 46 min from Cavan Town and 3hr from Dublin City Centre. Not much of a difference for both teams to play in Irelands 2nd best facility. I'm sure both teams could do it if asked.

Cavan is a big county, bound to be well north of 4 hrs + from the likes of Blacklion.

Players have to drive to games now as well. You think sticking them in a car for a 4-5 hour journey before an All Ireland semi final, on roads they would not be familiar with is correct?

For some bizarre reason you seem adamant for it to be played in Cork which I can't figure out at all. Portaloise or Armagh are perfect venues for this game.