How Much Is A Pint Round Your Way?

Started by Clinker, December 23, 2017, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

HS, small independent retailers stock 12 packs of Carlsberg at £7.99 and £8.99. They're never doing this as a loss leader. So it's Diageo who is keeping the price deliberately low (c 75p per pint wholesale) in comparison to the on trade (who pay circa £1.85 (inc Vat) per draught pint).

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on December 27, 2017, 01:11:28 AM
In fairness to Diageo they've produced some good stuff in recent years. The speciality craft Guiness have been generally good and Hop House is easily the best widely available draught larger imho. Well, ok, that's all entirely under the Guiness brand which remains pretty excellent overall. From advertising to the actual fact a good pint of Guiness just tastes great it's one of the few brand names that still carry any weight in the drinks industry for me.

Cider has taken a left turn into the Snapchat generation with candy-flavoured shîte like Orchard Thieves and Outcider.
The sugary stuff is aimed at ladies as far as I can see.

magpie seanie

Interesting discussion. A few of my takes on some of topics raised:

Heineken - a good pint of Heineken tastes very nice and crisp but it absolutely destroys me the next day. Even 3/4 Heineken would have my stomach and head in absolute shit the next day. To me it's pure poison.

Carsberg - I think it's worse tasting and almost as poisonous.

Budweiser - absolutely never drink it bar I'm at someone's house (someone who clearly doesn't like me) and they give me one.

Harp/Tennents/Carling - would occasionally dabble when up north and while not great are certainly less damaging to me than Heineken.

I'd drink Guinness in preference but if I'm worried it's going to be substandard (sadly, most places) I'll avoid it. My next choice is Becks Vier. Do not confuse this with the regular Becks which is awful tasting - Becks Vier is really nice and I'm always perfect the next day. It's obviously not full of all the chemicals and shit that Heineken has. If it's not available I'll opt for Coors Light. Not great but not disastrous. I've never got into the craft beer thing. Any I've tried I haven't liked but I have probably tried ones that didn't suit me.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on December 27, 2017, 11:05:14 AM
Quote from: Syferus on December 27, 2017, 01:11:28 AM
In fairness to Diageo they've produced some good stuff in recent years. The speciality craft Guiness have been generally good and Hop House is easily the best widely available draught larger imho. Well, ok, that's all entirely under the Guiness brand which remains pretty excellent overall. From advertising to the actual fact a good pint of Guiness just tastes great it's one of the few brand names that still carry any weight in the drinks industry for me.

Cider has taken a left turn into the Snapchat generation with candy-flavoured shîte like Orchard Thieves and Outcider.
The sugary stuff is aimed at ladies as far as I can see.

It's aimed at college students and lads getting their older brothers to buy drink for them.

illdecide

It would be interesting to see the results if a poll were put up on best and worst beers...I'd say Guinness would be up there around the top, i'm not a big drinker tbh so wouldn't know half of the beers you guys are talking about...I don't like Heineken or Carlsberg, could drink Tennents, Corrs light and would dabble with the odd pint of Guinness.

Had 2 party nights before Christmas and prob won't take beer again for ages...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

Can't drink any of the mainstream lagers. I think they're full of chemicals, taste like piss, and give you a head like a bag of spanners the next day.

Guinness for me if I'm out, or else Hop House 13 if I have to drink a lager.

Preference though is for a nice Irish Pale Ale, and you can get a few nice ones in Limerick now. Harris Pale Ale or Shannon River IPA are both nice from Treaty City Breweries.

If I'm at home, I'll drink a Sierra Nevada Pale ale, or any of the 8 degrees lads from michelstown at the moment. Howling Gale, Amber Ella etc.

They also make a Pilsner called Bohemian Rhapsody, and if you like Pils/Lager type drinks, that's a nice one.

I find with the big IPAs you can't drink too many because they fill you up, but even if you drink a fair few, the hangover is minimal the next morning.

Itchy

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 27, 2017, 06:34:03 PM
Can't drink any of the mainstream lagers. I think they're full of chemicals, taste like piss, and give you a head like a bag of spanners the next day.

Preference though is for a nice Irish Pale Ale, and you can get a few nice ones in Limerick now. Harris Pale Ale or Shannon River IPA are both nice from Treaty City Breweries.

If I'm at home, I'll drink a Sierra Nevada Pale ale, or any of the 8 degrees lads from michelstown at the moment. Howling Gale, Amber Ella etc.

They also make a Pilsner called Bohemian Rhapsody, and if you like Pils/Lager type drinks, that's a nice one.

I find with the big IPAs you can't drink too many because they fill you up, but even if you drink a fair few, the hangover is minimal the next morning.

You have a beard and wear a scarf don't you.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on December 27, 2017, 06:51:58 PM

Absolutely not, and I couldn't even tell you what a 'hoppy' beer is supposed to mean. But as the fella says, I know what I like. And with a 4 year old girl running in at 7 every morning, the hangover element is a big bonus!

Itchy

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 27, 2017, 06:57:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 27, 2017, 06:51:58 PM

Absolutely not, and I couldn't even tell you what a 'hoppy' beer is supposed to mean. But as the fella says, I know what I like. And with a 4 year old girl running in at 7 every morning, the hangover element is a big bonus!

Emm, are you sure you aren't hiding a beard behind that helmet

AZOffaly

Tony Baloney

The craft beer market has democratised beer making and allows the punter to take on a wider flavour range than the mass marketed stuff. With that comes a wide selection of stuff that imo isn't very nice. I really, really don't like anything too fruity or hoppy. As far as yella beer is concerned I like good pilsner style Czech and German lager. 

LeoMc

Always willing to give the local breweries a chance. Would rather be paying a bit more knowing some local business was getting the money even if they have ginger beards and bicycles.

Itchy

whitey

Can drink Heineken, Stella and Corona with minimal side effects the day after.

Have recently tried some of the IPAs, but as others mentioned you'd only have 1 or 2.

Guinness in the States is still $hite, but there's 2 good Irish Bars where I would indulge depending on who's pulling the pints.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on December 27, 2017, 09:37:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 27, 2017, 07:42:57 PM
I don't even know what that means?
Your avatar

Ah!!!. So long since that's there I forgot I even had it. No, definitely no beard in there!