9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

T Fearon

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on December 29, 2017, 02:58:04 PM
Mortal sin leads to hell.

Thanks Tony... anyone want to buy  a box on condoms?  :o

T Fearon

It simple really.Believers will generally avoid serious sin and always repent,and their daily lives will be a mission to win salvation.

Non believers won't.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: T Fearon on December 29, 2017, 02:02:35 PM
Quite a lot of Catholics believe Protestants are hell bound and vice Versa for following fatally flawed doctrine.

Well - something has to give there then. Or, maybe the whole lot of them will end up there. ....even better.

BennyCake

From that deep thinker, Fr McGuire...

"And what about not eating meat on Fridays? How come that's Ok now but it wasn't back then? Did people who ate meat on Fridays back then all go to hell or what? I mean, it's mad".

Itchy

There are two Bible passages that refer to embracing a life of poverty. The first is found in the Gospel of Luke where Jesus teaches that those who wish to follow Him should dispose of their personal property. The second is found in the Acts of the Apostles where it is revealed that the early Christians did not claim private ownership of any possessions, but rather, shared everything in common.

"A certain ruler asked him, 'Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?' Jesus said to him, 'Why doyou call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: 'You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother.' He replied, 'I have kept all these since my youth.' When Jesus heard this, he said to him, 'There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me. Jesus looked at him and said, 'How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!'" [Lk. 18:18-23]

"Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common. With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold. They laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need." [Acts 4:32-5]

So - how come there are churches, especially in the vatican, covered in gold and housing priceless paintings? Is it true even the pope is not a proper Christian ignoring the bible in this way.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2017, 04:28:12 PM
The Pope doesn't own any of it though.

All run by the totally corrupt Vatican banking setup?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on December 29, 2017, 02:29:03 PM
In all matters I follow the teachings of the Church.

Including contraception?

The Iceman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2017, 07:07:54 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 29, 2017, 02:29:03 PM
In all matters I follow the teachings of the Church.

Including contraception?
I am not sure what the campaign is here Eamonn? You seem very interested in Tony's sex life...
Nobody said being Catholic was about being a saint..it's recognizing you're a sinner and trying to fix that...by following Jesus.
Being Catholic doesn't mean you don't sin. We're among the biggest sinners because if you take your faith seriously you know the gravity of your actions and omissions.
Following Church teaching sometimes means going against popular opinion. Listening to a priest's personal opinion on a church teaching does not change the teaching. The Church continues on despite your hatred for it, despite Tony's misunderstanding of it, despite rogue clergy, despite popular opinion, despite corrupt bishops and popes, despite it all....it continues on....

I think the reason you hate God so much is you don't like the competition...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

armaghniac

I think we need a rule prohibiting posters demanding information on the nature of other poster's marital relations.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

longballin

I certainly have no interest in Tonys private life... was asking the doctrine on contraceptives - hell or highway?

Itchy

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 29, 2017, 04:36:01 PM

My point is the bible is  clearly calling for followers to be rid of their wealth. Just wondering how is it that Catholic church doesn't call this out or why Tony never mentions it. After all it's very hard for a rich man to get to heaven. It maybe Tony just picks the bits that suit his own homophobic bias?

Eamonnca1

If the private lives of other people isn't fair game then we might as well lock up this thread and ban all future discussion of gay matters.

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on December 29, 2017, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 29, 2017, 04:36:01 PM

My point is the bible is  clearly calling for followers to be rid of their wealth. Just wondering how is it that Catholic church doesn't call this out or why Tony never mentions it. After all it's very hard for a rich man to get to heaven. It maybe Tony just picks the bits that suit his own homophobic bias?

I always considered the rich man not getting into heaven thing patronising. It's a bit like...don't you worry wee peasant. Sure you're crawling on your belly in this life, but don't worry because youll get into heaven no problem, unlike thon moneybags neighbour of yours. He's going straight to hell. So cheer up, count your blessings, and be grateful you're a piss poor peasant.

f**k right off.